Poll: Does Nathanos deserve a redemption arc

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I don't like his character, so I vote no. Would much prefer him being a straight up villain.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    He'll probably be a boss in Shadowlands.
    Which also means he'll become like 50ft tall because everyone that becomes a raid boss in WoW also becomes huge (look at how big Kael is).
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe not a redemption arc but I'd like to see him humbled and forced to abandon his loyalty to Sylvanas.

Quote Originally Posted by Biske View Post
    I don't like his character, so I vote no. Would much prefer him being a straight up villain.

- - - Updated - - -

Which also means he'll become like 50ft tall because everyone that becomes a raid boss in WoW also becomes huge (look at how big Kael is).
    Right? Doesn't even have to be a boss. Tirion was twice as tall as a Night Elf in Icecrown Citadel.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    Right? Doesn't even have to be a boss. Tirion was twice as tall as a Night Elf in Icecrown Citadel.
    I dunno, there is a dungeon in Revandreth that needs an endboss that truly encapsulates that zones particular brand of millenial edge.
    I can see it already, Nathanos shows up from the shadows, with his new model ovbiously, then he talks a big game about Sylvanas, and then we kill him, and his legacy will forever be that annoying M+ boss with too much RP.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

10+ Year Old Account
    He shouldn't even be a central character honestly. Only reason he is now is because the lead narrative designer likes him.

No. He is always an asshole to any Horde chars and doesn't give a shit about anyone but Sylvanas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Let's be honest he's the best candidate for the Forsaken

Nathanos would be one of the best people to have a redemption story for while remaining true to his character.

No... Just no... His "character" is being Sylvanas' boy toy, that's literally all he has ever been.

I see if the Horde can forgive the PC, one of the most powerful people on Azeroth, that served Sylvanas
    I 1,000% guarantee you that the Horde PC Sylvanas Loyalist storyline is not considered canon.

Remember what we saw of Nathanos working with the Horde and building relationships? Talanji. Rokhan. Eitirigg [To an extent].Gallywix. He got along fine with all of them
    Yeah, "got along with" is a stretch, and even at that he "got along with them" because Sylvanas told him to...

redeem her to her former senses.
    What former senses? The senses where she ordered the creation of the Blight, with the intent being "plaguing an entire world", and it's use being on "the rest of Azeroth", and authorized it's testing on captured civilians all the way back in vanilla?

The former senses where she ordered the massacre at the Wrathgate?

She's never been a good person, stop.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2020-02-06 at 11:45 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Stood in the Fire Grand Phoenix's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly can't see him getting a redemption arc because admittedly he hasn't really done anything severe that warrants him to feel remorse and turn over a new leaf. I guess you can argue his hesitation at the Gathering in Arathi and the Burning of Teldrassil could result in having second thoughts, but it's more in line with his character to be more concerned with Alliance retaliation than anything concerning his morality. Unless you do the Loyalist route (where he's not as brusque with you) he's going to be a dick to the Horde PC, that's just who he is. That, and loving Sylvanas so much he'll do anything she commands him to do (and I'm still of the opinion Sylvanas doesn't love him the same way he does her, but I'll gladly eat my words if I'm wrong).

I feel the same way about Nathanos the same way I did about Saurfang ever since BfA: That he won't last past Shadowlands; and if he does, it'll be a fucking miracle. I can definitely see Nathanos becoming a raid boss if for some reason he actually does question his loyalty to Sylvanas (for whatever reason, we don't even know what her plans are) and defects only to croak, or doubling down and going out with a bang because, really, she's his whole world, there's nothing else to him. Making him an M+ boss would be doing him a disservice. If he has to die, let it be in a raid (because that way the community gets some much needed catharsis dunking on him).

Now as to whether or not Sylvanas is going to be a raid boss is the bigger question, but on the off-chance she does become one I want her to at least go down swinging before she bites it.

10+ Year Old Account
    ... i just want to kill nathanos at this point to be honest.
    I even used the block talking head addon to get rid of him while doing world quests.

He used to be cool (not good though), back before they retroactively changed him into being Sylvanas' pet instead of just a lieutenant

He will rot and be forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    tbh he did NOTHING at least nothing noticeable
    Well he worked on greater plans but overall as morals are subjective as such there is no absolute right or wrong meaning meaning everything is right and wrong at the same time and if everything its an irrelevant question if the actions was wrong etc.

7+ Year Old Account
    He did before BfA. What they should have done is make his story in BfA about loosing faith in Sylvanas and by the end he turns on her and starts leading the Forsaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Biske View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Devs stated years ago its for visibility.

No! We don't need Steve Danuser writing a redemption story for a character he portrays himself as.....

No. NO MORE REDEMPTION ARCS. If we let them, guldan will be a good guy in disguise some day.

No, fuck Nathanos.

He's a petty asshole who only cares about Sylvanas cause they used to bang.

Undead with a weird boner for a... Thing. No thanks.

I personally want a Aszhara redemption. Not a redemption in the kind of joining either the alliance or horde, more like a mutual agreement that Azeroth is everbodies planet and that they avoid hostile contact with the land dwellers and Naga.

lol, no nathanos, sylvanas, all forsakens and loyalist PCs should suffer a redemption story.
    the only thing deserved should be a forsaken lynching against calia.
    there is a reason why forsaken players on average choose that race, and isnt to be cute and cuddly or shitty goody 2 shoes.
    Last edited by omeomorfismo; 2020-02-07 at 12:48 AM.

Stood in the Fire Grand Phoenix's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
    No! We don't need Steve Danuser writing a redemption story for a character he portrays himself as.....
    Technically it's Death Hunter Moorgard can be considered Danuser's self-insert (Moorgard is the name of his Twitter handle), that one blood elf guy you meet in Trueshot Lodge who's trying to show off to Velonara, but it's a joke questline and Velonara doesn't fall head over heels for him as much as she accepts the black roses you give her at his discretion out of appreciation. It's why I'm mildly disturbed at all the people that latch so thoroughly and viciously onto the "Nathanos is Danuser" meme when it's just Danuser joking around about looking like Nathanos (and they really don't, unless you think every man's beard is supposed to look alike).

Not a chance - the dude went as psychotic as it gets. He didn't even do it for a good reason either.

Look through basically every other villain.

Kael got his people obliterated by pretty much the White Walkers, turning him into an authoritarian asshole who shot first and asked questions later, while gathering power so that he could never have the latter happen to him ever again.

Archimonde, Kil'jaeden - promised power by the most powerful being in the universe that we know of, or be obliterated. Easy choice for people hungry for power and lacking in honour.

Arthas - corrupted outright by probably the best manipulators known in the lore, second maybe only to the old gods - the nathrezim.

The Scarlet Crusade - driven mad by the nathrezim, likely suffering heavily from PTSD as well as they basically exist in the middle of the apocalypse's epicentre.

Garrosh - classic warsong orc mentality. Orcs > everyone else. Get with me or die. Already at war with another faction, yet told he can't obliterate them. Faces resistance at every turn, despite again being at a full scale war. Just goes full authoritarian and starts wiping shit out.

I could go on. Point is, all of the above have at bare minimum a good reason for being killers and usually a pretty easy way to get them to redeem themselves. Kael can could've joined forces and took on Arthas, rather than fighting us at Tempest Keep. Arthas could break free of corruption. So could the scarlet crusade. Garrosh could have a moment similar to what Grommash faced in HFC, where he realised working together was the way, not isolating yourself, then venturing out to conquer other peoples.

What about Nathanos then? Well, he is basically a deranged undead - possibly under some sort of corruption by Sylvanas herself. He seems to care for virtually no one other than Sylvanas and himself. He is also just an asshole to begin with. Not even a likeable character, unlike, say, Garrosh, who was inspiring as fuck for the Horde during Cata and early MoP.

Nathanos is basically a one man SS division - carrying out the deranged objectives of a banshee trying to end the world as we know it.

If this dude gets a redemption story, then we basically have no reason at all to not give other 'hey guys im bad, because im bad' characters like Ragnaros or the Old Gods a redemption arc.

#LetYoggSaronJoinTheHorde

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    Would anyone care about these stupid elves? Why? Do you expect Nathanos to betray his love, his people and risk his life for a bunch of treehuggers?
    No, i don't - because Nathanos is a 'im bad because im bad' style character. Any other character would face multiple problems with this series of events.

1. Why are we attacking Teldrassil? We just beat the Legion. Can we at least let our armies recover for a bit?
    2. Why are we burning down a tree mostly filled with civilians?
    3. If i don't do this, is my leader really going to kill me? Why is my leader asking me to do this?

Everyone that didn't stand up to Sylvanas is basically presumeably then either an outright cold blooded psychopathic genocidal warmonger, or a coward fearing for retaliation from Sylvanas.

I don't think Nathanos is a coward, so i'm gonng assume he is a cold blooded psychopathic genocidal warmonger.