Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I sometimes miss having shelves of books, DVD's, Blurays, CD's, etc...

But then I'll move and really appreciate not having to lug around a bunch of extra boxes.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    You'll be laughing at those people that rely on their digital games to have their collection gone 20 years from now.

Retro gamers that have Doom 2016 on Disc are all good then...
    Nonsense. If, say, steam went down, they would unbind the DRM of their games and give a fair advance warning. That would be the point in time to DL your library and tuck it away on some external harddrive. You could even do that just not and simply crack the games in question.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol you're a weeb

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I'll never understand these ritualistic schemes of people.
    It's actually no different listening to a FLAC from an HDD compared to plugging in a CD.

Except that I don't have to get, fumble with the CD player, store craptons of plastic discs .... all for the same sonic quality.
    You do not understand what I am saying. It's not ritualistic, and it isn't about the quality of the media.

Imagine being forced to live in a vacuum, just your mind, not your body, and never have any physical experiences EVER.
    Would you want to live like that?

Not to mention digitally optimized music for expample isn't necessarily "better" than the original rendition of a piece, say from 1967.
    It might not be able to capture the spirit of the piece, but rather destroy it.

Those curtains are horrendous and makes it feel like grandma's house, if anything THOSE are what make you seem old, get nicer ones , not those that look like they could be a bed sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    lol you're a weeb
    If I specifically take picture of the shelves with Nendoroids of warships in miniskirts, I'm presumably self conscious about it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Until digital ownership is put to the test you don't technically own anything you bought online. Physical media is totally 100% yours, no questions asked.
    Don't copy that floppy.

I have thousands of books and I have read almost all of them.
    No digital copy comes anywhere close to a well read and annotated book (and yes, I buy them in bookshops, never on the internet).

10+ Year Old Account
    Not at all. There's a difference between liking older forms of media or technology and obstinately refusing to adapt to modern life. The former is a matter of preference, the latter is a matter of function. So in this case, does preferring physical media really intrude on your ability to exist within society or relate to others? Not in the slightest.

In fact, there's a fair case to be made that a large portion of concept of "technological dinosaur" is a result of an economic system wherein planned obsolescence is an organic feature. You can't train people to throw out and buy new shit constantly if they don't have an inherent sense of the disposability of their products. Whereas, people who prefer physical media often cite the level of tangibility and permanence as primary draws.

As with most things, happiness is to be found in a middle ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I'm a hybrid luddite, with a bit of inconsistency. Paper books, vinyl and cd's all day, but it's very rare for me to buy blu-rays simply because 90% of movies I won't care about watching more than once.

I also never buy anything other than downloaded games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirza
    I stuck around in St. Petersburg when I saw it was a time for a change.
    So, if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

I have over two tons of books, comic books, and old magazines.
    Admittedly, it's taking up a lot of space in my apt...fortunately, I don't buy many books anymore. (all my favorite authors have rudely passed away)

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, physical media is hype. Doesn't fall off the list, no issues with licensing, works when the Internet dies. Pretty great. If I had money and space I'd have a huge collection too, but I am a poor wee lad with strong neuroses about clutter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I go out of my way (and am willing to pay more) for actual books, that I know will not be remotely deleted for one reason or another. Digital media really isnt owned unless you have a DRM free copy of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    (Oddly enough, I loathe digital media for movies, animes and books but went 100% with it for videogames)

To illustrate the point, two out of twelve media/game/bookcases at my place…

I have a Netflix sub, and that's it-I simply don't like digital books or streaming stuff, and I as you might guess, I find bookcases much more visually appealing. Is this hopelessly outdated in 2019 ?

(No, it's not ''bragging'' about being intellectual, the bookcase picked are the ones with manga/anime/comics, stuff people can relate too)

that all depends how many of them you have. i have for example way too many books - thankkfully i could afford apartment with completly separate work/mini library room for myself where i can keep them . when i was still living in 2 rooms apartment books were everywhere :P:P:P

Feels like excess to me, and it would be a pain moving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    You'll be laughing at those people that rely on their digital games to have their collection gone 20 years from now.

Retro gamers that have Doom 2016 on Disc are all good then...
    or when the next cme happens and they lose all their stuff....
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

No, I love my book collection and I'm frankly sad that it gets harder and harder to find hardcover versions of books.

But I can also see the appeal of digitial books, especially for young people who don't have the space neccessarily.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I'm a hybrid luddite, with a bit of inconsistency. Paper books, vinyl and cd's all day, but it's very rare for me to buy blu-rays simply because 90% of movies I won't care about watching more than once.

I also never buy anything other than downloaded games.
    Games are a bit of an issue, especially on PC. Unless you can find a crack for them, they are worthless since you pretty much can't install them without internet and some server anyway. AO-DRM has pretty much destroyed any semblance of persistency in (PC) gaming and even consoles are far from guaranteed to work forever. In 30 years when some kind of chip starts to die on mass no one will be able to run the disks anymore either. Heck even GoG games rely on GoG keeping the files up to date with modern drivers to some degree. It's highly unlikely you will be able to install a version of today on the Windows version of 2040.

Edit: Ah this was a necro by a 10 post troll/bot account ...
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-02-07 at 03:55 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

5+ Year Old Account
    No, it's nice and a good way to hold onto things. I try to limit my collection to spin offs/art books, so I can focus more on keychains or plushes. Figurines, posters, and CDs were never really my thing.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

10+ Year Old Account
    Not wanting everything controlled by a server and having the publisher be the sole decider when, how (editing) and if you can watch/play/read/listen to media, is not a dinosaur way of thinking.

There is no "benefit" in digital vs physical, if we are talking about quality of the product itself. Both are the same, its just how they are distributed. There is no reason both options can not co-exist and anyone that says otherwise is retarded.

To further elaborate, when people say physical media "is a waste", the same can be said for all of various "reader" and "player" devices that only can stream/download content from a single source, and how quickly those become out-dated/unusable, leaving behind a literally useless piece of electronics only good for having its parts recycled. If people are buying physical media with the intent to later throw it into a landfill after they are done with it, then yeah, those are the types of people who shouldn't be buying it in the first place.

I am all down for the reduction of materials used for packaging and distribution if this is a "save the environment" type debate over which is better, but physical media is a strongly important resource that has no reason to be "phased out", even more so in an increasing age where companies can control and censor content with more and more ease. Whats more wasteful: a video game you buy and keep for decades, or all of the fast-food packaging you chuck away on a weekly basis?
    Last edited by Mechazod; 2020-02-07 at 08:48 PM.