Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

California may stop school fitness tests over fears they lead to bullying

Push-ups, curl-ups and the dreaded one-mile run are a staple of childhood in US schools. But California may put a stop to the tests.

California Governor Gavin Newsom has proposed suspending the physical fitness tests at the state's schools over concerns that they promote bullying and body discrimination.
    Under current state requirements, students in grades five, seven and nine are required to take a physical fitness test, which includes the one-mile run, curl-ups, push-ups and a measure of body mass index.

While the administration argues the physical assessments can cause students of different body shapes to be body-shamed or bullied, the BMI screening is particularly sensitive because it asks students to select whether they are female or male.
    A number of school districts have complained to the state that this is discriminatory against students who identify as non-binary, according to H.D. Palmer, spokesman for the Finance Department.
    If the proposal, which was included in Newsom's budget bill for next year, passes, physical fitness testing would be suspended for three years.

"Dispelling myths, breaking down stereotypes, and improving school climate is one way California is working to keep all students safe and healthy, consistent with the Governor's commitment to a California that respects all students," Palmer said in an email.

During the proposed three-year suspension, the Department of Education would consult with experts on fitness, physical education, gender identity and students with disabilities to determine whether the test needs to be modified or a new assessment should be developed.

The proposal comes as California's annual reports of the fitness test since the 2014-2015 school year show a decline in the percentage of students scoring healthy. The share of students meeting the healthy fitness zone for all six fitness standards (aerobic capacity, body composition, abdominal strength, trunk extension strength and upper body strength) decreased by 3.3 percentage points for fifth graders, 4.3 points for seventh graders and 4.6 points for ninth graders.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/06/u...rnd/index.html

BTW
    Obesity prevalence was 13.9% among 2- to 5-year-olds, 18.4% among 6- to 11-year-olds, and 20.6% among 12- to 19-year-olds. Childhood obesity is also more common among certain populations.
    https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/childhood.html

US isn't even #1 in obesity rates, gotta pump those numbers up!

Mod Edit: This thread is closed.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-02-09 at 04:12 AM.

People are also bullied for being smart. Stop testing academics as well. Lead the charge!

There's a reason so many people are leaving California every year.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, let's not compare anyone on anything at all so we can all live a uniform life of mediocrity!

Discrimination is bad so test that point out differences are bad. neat!
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

PE in the public education system doesn't work. You don't pass PE for being fit. You pass PE for regurgitating the powerpoint slides and then promptly forgetting them after you pass the test.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    PE in the public education system doesn't work. You don't pass PE for being fit. You pass PE for regurgitating the powerpoint slides and then promptly forgetting them after you pass the test.
    what kind of PE class did you have that had tests that you need PP slides to study for?
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    are we going to pretend that these tests have any real value? They're certainly not preventing obesity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontinuum View Post
    US isn't even #1 in obesity rates, gotta pump those numbers up!
    "Obese" is an offensive term, please use the term "dietically challenged"

Roll out the kiddy gloves. Who gives a damn about the massive obesity problem.... let them die young!

Not sad to see BMI go. My question is: was PE preparing them to take these tests?

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    are we going to pretend that these tests have any real value? They're certainly not preventing obesity.
    man..by this logic math tests are failing to make folks better at math all the time, we need to stop it! the tragedy!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Not sad to see BMI go. My question is: was PE preparing them to take these tests?
    Indeed, the BMI is offensive and dictates you the stereotype of whether or not you are healthy. And health is a social construct

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    I only hope these people leave California to avoid this disease, not to spread it further

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    I only hope these people leave California to avoid this disease, not to spread it further
    As someone who lives in a state where Californian's flock to, they definitely spread it. They are pretty much brainwashed to vote and do the same things that made California bad. Their logic = "Man XX state is great! But its not quite California...which I left because its too XX. Ohhh this XX is on the ballot which is like California! Sure I'll vote for that!"

Cancer

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Meanwhile, America has an obesity problem that is growing worse every year to the point where even kids are obese. Maybe instead of being snowflakes and allowing kids to do whatever the hell they want, tell them they are porky little bastards and unless they want to drop dead of heart failure by the age of 40, they better start hustling and get in shape.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a problem with how the program is structured then. When I was a kid, you couldn't pass gym class without participation and it meant actual physical fitness. There was almost no classroom work in phys ed. Maybe the structure is different here in Canada, I don't know. But I breezed through every year because I was active. I used to roll up giant snow balls as a kid, and most them were at least 2 times my mass as I was a small kid. Why was I physically healthy? Because my parents limited my game time and made sure that I got outside. Not to mention I started karate at the age of 7. These days parents don't want to be responsible for both the health of their children as well as themselves. It seems like the continual hand holding and coddling has made society lazy as fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hold up, powerpoint tests? In PE?

? 6 figure earners aren’t moving.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    As someone who lives in a state where Californian's flock to, they definitely spread it. They are pretty much brainwashed to vote and do the same things that made California bad. Their logic = "Man XX state is great! But its not quite California...which I left because its too XX. Ohhh this XX is on the ballot which is like California! Sure I'll vote for that!"

Cancer
    ... you mean people prefer their hometowns what a fucking shocker?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    Having poor fitness can lead to injuries, diseases, low confidence, and a miserable life. It's more important the most other subjects they teach at school. Public education is run by monkeys in this country that they might as well abolish it.
    Pe is more important than lost subjects... math history sciences English were the main classes my my school.

Because they can't afford to live there? That's just capitalism genius.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post

Cancer
    Let me guess Texas? The only reason people move there is because it's cheaper which is pretty much guaranteed when 99% of the state is a flat wasteland.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, end them. I don't know about other states but our fitness tests were terrible. Hated them because it usually meant PE was boring for a week while everyone went through the motions. It's not like anything changed whether you did good or not and I could performance being used to bully kids in some places because kids are petty when it comes to the stuff they make fun of.

Hell I remember by 5th grade we complained about having to do them. In 7th grade no one put any effort in them, 'failing' to get it over with. In high school they did not have them and you coach bared you from PE activity if you played sports.

The tests are pointless. Also if you think the tests 'prevent obesity' then I have a shake weight to sell you.

Resident Cosplay Progressive