Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkimpact View Post
    Uh what? Blizzard literally just had a discussion about how successful Classic has been and openly discussed future content post P6. If Blizzard wants to invest further it was successful plain and simple.
    So Anthem was successful? Because content has continued to be added to that game.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    So Anthem was successful? Because content has continued to be added to that game.
    It seems like you landed 20,000km away from the point of his post

Quote Originally Posted by Loeko View Post
    It seems like you landed 20,000km away from the point of his post
    Actually, i think i hit the nail on the head:

"If Blizzard wants to invest further it was successful plain and simple."

So if we apply that logic to other games, we find how flawed it is. As i said, releasing content and planning future content releases is by no means a sign of a games success.

Lets not forget Blizzard just outlined future content updates and fixes for War3 as well - is that a success?
    Last edited by arkanon; 2020-02-09 at 10:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Domixux View Post
    The downfall of classic is the community. Every content patch we had until now did come with any form of exploit, content-rush, forum rants and whatsoever because of the min-max mentality of the community. It started with people rushing pre raid bis gear in a couple of days and then complaining about having nothing to do after their weekly mc/ony raid. Right now its the pvp meta, which completly went nuts because of premades and wpvp ganking. At least from my memory back in vanilla people were more chill about the gear and content mentality or at least we weren't that organised with premades, bis lists and so on. Blizzards surely can be made responsible for some parts (for example underestimating the impact of wpvp without bgs), but many problems are just community made. I guess thats what you get for playing a video game which came out 15 years ago, where everything is already figured out and fully documented. In my opionion classic lost a lot of its former charme because of this constantly content-rush (just look at the upcoming bwl release and everyone already planning to clear bwl in 2-3 hours).

For myself I have to say I'm still enjoying classic alot. I mean I had to burry my rank 10 dream which isn't achievable with a full time job right now, but the game really brought back good memories from my childhood.
    Problem is so many people talked about how awesome the community was over 10 years ago, they started talking like Classic was some kind of time machine and the people who played it would go back to Vanilla like thinking. Anyone who was capable of critical thinking could see that wasn't going to happen...

We knew that the bull rushing min/maxers would be around...that people were going to figure out any way they can to make their grind to rank twelve as fast as possible...that players were going to analyze every little aspect for maximization.

Instead of Vanilla we got Classic....people rushing to 60 and clearing MC with a undergeared and underleveled raid. After players get some gear you have relevant raid bosses being destroyed in a minute or less like they're a trivial dungeon boss. Instead of those epic legendary AVs that could last for hours we have the same rushes to the boss that occur in Retail, only concerned with quick finishes and fast honor.

Actually, i think i hit the nail on the head:

"If Blizzard wants to invest further it was successful plain and simple."

So if we apply that logic to other games, we find how flawed it is. As i said, releasing content and planning future content releases is by no means a sign of a games success.

Lets not forget Blizzard just outlined future content updates and fixes for War3 as well - is that a success?
    He's not telling you that Classic is a success because it might get updated, which is what you are focusing on. He's telling you that Blizzard considers the game a success, announcing double subscriptions for the semester and Classic being one of the main actors in the Q4 sales record, and is now reconsidering having future updated/expansions. His point is that Blizzard seems really happy with how well Classic is doing, is publically expressing it and I doubt that EA is feeling the same about Anthem.

He's not telling you that Classic is a success because it might get updated, which is what you are focusing on. He's telling you that Blizzard considers the game a success, announcing double subscriptions for the semester and Classic being one of the main actors in the Q4 sales record, and is now reconsidering having future updated/expansions. His point is that Blizzard seems really happy with how well Classic is doing, is publically expressing it and I doubt that EA is feeling the same about Anthem.
    Ok, so EA consider Anthem a success? Because like i said, the measure being used here: future content releases and updates - this occurs on many games, successful and otherwise.

Or are you genuinely saying that Classic is a success because the billion dollar company told their investors it was successful?

High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account
    Classic is good but too stale, vanilla & mop was/is objectively horrible - 1997 gfx & alcohol care pandas. buy me a beer!.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarekrouvs View Post
    Classic is good but too stale, vanilla & mop was/is objectively horrible - 1997 gfx & alcohol care pandas. buy me a beer!.
    What was objectively bad about MoP?

Ok, so EA consider Anthem a success? Because like i said, the measure being used here: future content releases and updates - this occurs on many games, successful and otherwise.

Or are you genuinely saying that Classic is a success because the billion dollar company told their investors it was successful?
    It doubled subs. My point is there isn't confirmation bias. Go find EA telling their investors Anthem was a huge success and doubled their subscription revenue stream.

I get that you clearly don't like Classic but that is your bias, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkimpact View Post
    It doubled subs. My point is there isn't confirmation bias. Go find EA telling their investors Anthem was a huge success and doubled their subscription revenue stream.

I get that you clearly don't like Classic but that is your bias, not the other way around.
    This is the real funny thing here - i never mentioned confirmation bias. You introduced it into the conversation without prompt. "classic" did not double the subs of wow - the "double" figure comes from end of Q2.

"World of Warcraft exited 2019 with an active player community more than twice the size of its Q2-ending level"

Since you introduced confirmation bias into the conversation (awkward) i will touch on where this plays into your assumption - you assume Classic wow was the only factor in the increase in subs - something Blizzard never said.

The confirmation bias comes from taking EXTREMELY limited information from what is essentially a glorified PR opportunity and extrapolating it out to your pre determined conclusion.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2020-02-10 at 04:43 AM.

WOTLK Classic will be the biggest threat to retail- a lot of the old WoW feel, but it provides a lot more accessible pvp content, not just for no-lifer rankers. Plus, the PVE mechanics are much more challenging than the Vanilla raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowset View Post
    WOTLK Classic will be the biggest threat to retail- a lot of the old WoW feel, but it provides a lot more accessible pvp content, not just for no-lifer rankers. Plus, the PVE mechanics are much more challenging than the Vanilla raids.
    Estimates have classic wows player base at 10% of Retails - what percentage do you think it would need to be to be a "threat"

Quote Originally Posted by HulkSmasher View Post
    The thing about private servers is they are quick to adapt. Like there is a Vanilla+ private server coming out soon that's fixing many of the flaws in Classic. Which is exactly what many people wanted.
    What some people wanted. Plently of other people do not want anything to do with Classic+ and hope it dies in a fire.

- - - Updated - - -

The issue is everyone focuses on the booming sub numbers in OCTOBER but have not heard anything about current sub numbers if they are the same higher or dropped. Also now itd be hard to pinpoint if current subs are due to 8.3 or not since they dont seperate them from classic and retail.

Estimates have classic wows player base at 10% of Retails - what percentage do you think it would need to be to be a "threat"
    Where can we find these estimates and how are they measured? Since that seems awfully lowballing it since logic dictates otherwise.

Looking at what we know:

1. WoW subs more than doubled between 30-6-2019 (end of Q2) and 31-12-2019 (end of Q4)
    2. Retail had a content drought in Q3 and Q4, with new Content only coming in Q1 2020
    3. Classic launched Q3

Seeing that WoW generally bleeds subs during content droughts the doubling of subs will be mostly, if not fully, be attributed to WoW Classic. Which would put both games at about the same number of subs at the end of Q4.
    If ppl are really suggesting that retail would have driven a doubling of subs during a content drought than i don't know what to say to those ppl.

In Q1 retail should get a subboost again though due to the 8.3 launch, Classic does get BWL, which will make some ppl return to Classic however 8.3 should be the main driver this Quarter for WoW subs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Estimates have Classic at 300% more players than retail. See, I can make up fictitious numbers too.

Quote Originally Posted by lollerlaban View Post
    That's pretty impressive considering there's dead servers all over the place less than 1 month ago.
    here are the few screen shots from yesterday and month before .... looks pretty alive to me so far

https://imgur.com/a/ZoSJKOH

Quote Originally Posted by chronia View Post
    Where can we find these estimates and how are they measured? Since that seems awfully lowballing it since logic dictates otherwise.

Looking at what we know:

1. WoW subs more than doubled between 30-6-2019 (end of Q2) and 31-12-2019 (end of Q4)
    2. Retail had a content drought in Q3 and Q4, with new Content only coming in Q1 2020
    3. Classic launched Q3

Seeing that WoW generally bleeds subs during content droughts the doubling of subs will be mostly, if not fully, be attributed to WoW Classic. Which would put both games at about the same number of subs at the end of Q4.
    If ppl are really suggesting that retail would have driven a doubling of subs during a content drought than i don't know what to say to those ppl.

In Q1 retail should get a subboost again though due to the 8.3 launch, Classic does get BWL, which will make some ppl return to Classic however 8.3 should be the main driver this Quarter for WoW subs.
    First point is very incorrect. Firstly, Number of MAU (not subs) doubled when comparing Q2 and Q4. MAU is defined as a person who has at least 2 month sub rolling within any given quarter. It means that number of Q2 MAU doesn't account for people who unsubbed in 8.1 and came back for 8.2 release. While Q4 MAU accounts for people who subbed for Classic and had active sub at least a day in October. Yes, they worded it in confusing way, where you need to read definitions to understand what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by krouger View Post
    here are the few screen shots from yesterday and month before .... looks pretty alive to me so far

https://imgur.com/a/ZoSJKOH
    Try and read my reply again, slower this time so your brain can fathom what it means

Try and read my reply again, slower this time so your brain can fathom what it means
    You said there are dead servers all over and you posted pics of a not dead server. What am I missing here? Did you forget a /s?

That's pretty impressive considering there's dead servers all over the place less than 1 month ago.

Nobody has ever said "you don't want private servers". If anything Classic exists because so many people wanted private servers.

Who the hell are you quoting??