Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hunter Stable 2.0 Concept

So most hunters can agree on the fact that the current Stable is too limited. Instead of adding a few slots after years of begging, they should simply make it a collection tab like they did with transmog.
    It would list all tamable pets, collected and not collected. It would have three main filters : the specs and a few more subfilters for families (cats, wolf, etc.)
    You would still have 5 active pets but have an unlimited amount of pets.

This tab would only be visible only on the hunter character of course, but the system could potentially be added to the other pet classes.
    Unholy DKs would be able to collect the different undead models, the shamans and mages would have the elementals, the warlocks, the demons, etc.

It would add more things to collect for collectors (as if we don't already have enough!) and make one of the most frequent complaint by hunters disappear.

I did a quick mockup of the UI. It is not polished or anything but it still gives the general idea.

What do you think ? Any alternatives maybe?
    Last edited by Jeryl59; 2020-02-09 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Forgot the image

10+ Year Old Account
    Gets my vote. The limit on 5 active pets is the only sensible limit. Totally on board with this idea.

7+ Year Old Account

Sign me up

Quote Originally Posted by Jeryl59 View Post
    So most hunters can agree on the fact that the current Stable is too limited. Instead of adding a few slots after years of begging, they should simply make it a collection tab like they did with transmog.
    It would list all tamable pets, collected and not collected. It would have three main filters : the specs and a few more subfilters for families (cats, wolf, etc.)

This tab would only be visible only on the hunter character of course, but the system could potentially be added to the other pet classes.
    Unholy DKs would be able to collect the different undead models, the shamans and mages would have the elementals, the warlocks, the demons, etc.

It would add more things to collect for collectors (as if we don't already have enough!) and make one of the most frequent complaint by hunters disappear.

I did a quick mockup of the UI. It is not polished or anything but it still gives the general idea.

Sign me up yes

Not a Hunter main but yes please.

Also add unique traits and abilities to each pet type or family while at it...

A very nice ideia indeed,
    For now we have this addon I using:
    https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/hunter-pets

10+ Year Old Account
    This is 100% needed. Im at the limit but there are probably another 60 pets I'd like to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    Not a Hunter main but yes please.

Also add unique traits and abilities to each pet type or family while at it...
    Honestly, I am a bit torn on unique abilities. Thematically, I like that my waterstrider let's me walk on water. But it means I have to have that pet (which is ugly).
    My personal preference would be something like an equipement system. Like they did for mounts, but one for each active slot.

For example, the pet in the first slot would have lust, the one in the second, water walking, etc. Of course, the hunter would choose which ability he wants in each slot.
    That way, it can have any pet that looks good with his transmog / RP. I would prefer pets to be purely cosmetic with the bonuses and stuff tied to the slot. Just like the transmog system.

Yes please!

But, I also think that we should be able to train our pets to have X special abilities! It wouldn't need to be long, drawn-out sessions but at least something to let us train our favourite pets to also have the abilities we're expected to be using in say, PVP or Raiding or M+...

I do see an issue with this becoming a collections thing... Unless they allow us to have 2 of the same pets like with battle pets, it'd be a bit of a drag for people wanting matching pets whilst using the Animal Companion talent...
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2020-02-09 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Yes please!

But, I also think that we should be able to train our pets to have X special abilities! It wouldn't need to be long, drawn-out sessions but at least something to let us train our favourite pets to also have the abilities we're expected to be using in say, PVP or Raiding or M+...

I do see an issue with this becoming a collections thing... Unless they allow us to have 2 of the same pets like with battle pets, it'd be a bit of a drag for people wanting matching pets whilst using the Animal Companion talent...
    I like the idea of training the pets, but since I prefer having abilities and stuff tied to the slot in the active stable rather than the pet itself. You could simply have 5 pets that you train (one in each slot) and apply skings to them so that they look like the pet you want rather than the pet you have to use.

The Animal Companion can be easily fixed by adding a glyph that replace the second pet by a copy of the first one.

Honestly, I am a bit torn on unique abilities. Thematically, I like that my waterstrider let's me walk on water. But it means I have to have that pet (which is ugly).
    My personal preference would be something like an equipement system. Like they did for mounts, but one for each active slot.

For example, the pet in the first slot would have lust, the one in the second, water walking, etc. Of course, the hunter would choose which ability he wants in each slot.
    That way, it can have any pet that looks good with his transmog / RP. I would prefer pets to be purely cosmetic with the bonuses and stuff tied to the slot. Just like the transmog system.
    I get you but I mean... if pets have no meaning but to be a damage boost (because the CC break ability for example or lust might as well just be your own ability) then what do you need the pet for?

Very nice but it is a "too much IQ" idea for the bunch of mentally challenged dev we have currently.

I get you but I mean... if pets have no meaning but to be a damage boost (because the CC break ability for example or lust might as well just be your own ability) then what do you need the pet for?
    Well...there's people that play hunters, and then there are hunter players.

Hunter players I've known have a tendency to get very attached to particular pets, based on some personal experience. I know one who has a ghost saber that she's kept on her character since Vanilla....for 15 years now. For others it's maybe the first rare they had to camp. Or the one they leveled up with.

Skins

It is basically a sub-xmog for hunters.

Just like if they add the possibility for Warlocks to """ tame """ different type of demon that are still in the " family " tree of their baseline demons

Inviato dal mio SM-G950F utilizzando Tapatalk

Well they would still have the same meaning. You would still need to micromanage them to do some stuff. I don't really care about the damage they do honestly. They are more like having my own personal tank, healer and finisher all into one.
    That system would allow me to have all the functionality I need (and that already exists) without having to see a pet I don't like next to my character.

Quote Originally Posted by Dioporco View Post
    Very nice but it is a "too much IQ" idea for the bunch of mentally challenged dev we have currently.
    I don't know. It is basically the same system than the other collection tabs. It wouldn't be anything complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post

Hunter players I've known have a tendency to get very attached to particular pets, based on some personal experience. I know one who has a ghost saber that she's kept on her character since Vanilla....for 15 years now. For others it's maybe the first rare they had to camp. Or the one they leveled up with.
    I had my Gudule, the white lion from the Barrens on my previous account. I tamed it by (painfully) communicating with a Horde player (I was Alliance) that was summoning him for a quest. I only used him from that time on and before I gave away the account, I released him where I found him years before.
    Corny as hell I know, but he was the companion of all my WoW adventures so it made sense.

Skins

It is basically a sub-xmog for hunters.

Just like if they add the possibility for Warlocks to """ tame """ different type of demon that are still in the " family " tree of their baseline demons

Exactly. Each hunter would have 5 hunter pets (slots) that they would customize with skins and maybe equipements and stuff for the abilities.

Adding this system for the other pet classes would make sense too and it would mean that the game would be more visually varied. So no downsides.

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post

I've had my pet since I started playing in october 2005.
    It's named after my grandfather who passed away not long before. I don't think I'm ever going to change it.

Well they would still have the same meaning. You would still need to micromanage them to do some stuff. I don't really care about the damage they do honestly. They are more like having my own personal tank, healer and finisher all into one.
    That system would allow me to have all the functionality I need (and that already exists) without having to see a pet I don't like next to my character.

I don't know. It is basically the same system than the other collection tabs. It wouldn't be anything complicated.

I had my Gudule, the white lion from the Barrens on my previous account. I tamed it by (painfully) communicating with a Horde player (I was Alliance) that was summoning him for a quest. I only used him from that time on and before I gave away the account, I released him where I found him years before.
    Corny as hell I know, but he was the companion of all my WoW adventures so it made sense.

Exactly. Each hunter would have 5 hunter pets (slots) that they would customize with skins and maybe equipements and stuff for the abilities.

Adding this system for the other pet classes would make sense too and it would mean that the game would be more visually varied. So no downsides.
    Ye man I know it is simple

But still we are in 2020 and this stuff hasn't been implemented in MoP with the Pet Battle UI coming.

I mean...the are clueless

This would also help us get rid of stable masters, which really are quite an outmoded mechanic altogether - just make it so you need a rest area to modify the active stable, done.

The pet system could be improved in numerous ways in general, but I guess it might go too far for just one class. Not a good use of development resources.

Still, just imagine... what if there were cosmetic abilities you can customize your pet with, and those are unlocked via taming particular pets? Tame Skoll, for example, and get a lightning effect you can then equip on any pet. Etc. etc. Endless possibilities.

Ah well, one can dream...

Yes, this would be awesome! I love collecting stuff in MMOs.

Agree that somehow allowing DKs, warlocks, mages, and shamans to collect various pet appearances would be cool too.

Ye man I know it is simple

But still we are in 2020 and this stuff hasn't been implemented in MoP with the Pet Battle UI coming.

I mean...the are clueless

I agree, so many player's request seem (emphasis on seem since we don't really know how complex anything is with the existing code) easy to implement and have no impact on gameplay other than quality of life but they choose to ignore them. With the amount of recycling this proposed feature has, it could probably be done by a small dev group (if not solo) as a side project. I mean, the graphics are already in-game, same with models, icons, names and collection system.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    This would also help us get rid of stable masters, which really are quite an outmoded mechanic altogether - just make it so you need a rest area to modify the active stable, done.

The pet system could be improved in numerous ways in general, but I guess it might go too far for just one class. Not a good use of development resources.

Still, just imagine... what if there were cosmetic abilities you can customize your pet with, and those are unlocked via taming particular pets? Tame Skoll, for example, and get a lightning effect you can then equip on any pet. Etc. etc. Endless possibilities.

Ah well, one can dream...
    Yeah, I didn't mention the stable masters since they are also used for battle pets, but indeed they are useless in this new system. Locking the ability to change the active stable to rest area is a good idea.

The pet system needs to be improved but I agree that since it only for a handful of specs, it will probably never be done, but the customization idea is great. We could go even further and do it this way :

Instead of having multiple entries for the different colors of a pet, just have one : Draenor Wolf for example and have a system of variants (the existing colors of the wolf) that are unlocked by taming. The extra effect could come from challenging tames. It would prevent having an endless list of pets and their millions of variations.
    This could be extra content added pretty easily between big patches.

And for the other classes (petless), they could have similar systems with color spells or something to collect.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Yes, this would be awesome! I love collecting stuff in MMOs.

Agree that somehow allowing DKs, warlocks, mages, and shamans to collect various pet appearances would be cool too.
    Yeah! I want a mage with one of Pandaria's beer elemental. Destroy your enemies with the power of chilled beer

there should be less slots not more. why have 200 pets you never use?