Do frost mages overaggro as much as fire ones?

I constantly get aggro on my fire mage, so I now open with missiles until I'm certain the tank can hold aggro then switch to fire spells. Does frost have the same problems as fire with overaggro?

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    I constantly get aggro on my fire mage, so I now open with missiles until I'm certain the tank can hold aggro then switch to fire spells. Does frost have the same problems as fire with overaggro?
    No because frost does tiny dmg compared to fire, also you have iceblocks to save your butt.

If you have the reduced threat talent like you should, tanks are supposed to hold aggro at least on single target even as fire. Of course if you open all aoe pulls with famestrike you're gonna become the tank so don't do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    I've yet to encounter any significant aggro issues on my frost mage, but I'm also running a threat meter that I keep one eye on, so your mileage may vary.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I'm curious as to under what circumstances you are talking about. Me and another guy raided as fire in MC so far in classic. Often we get insane ignite buildups and blow everyone else out of the water on damage meter, ignite ticking for 3500+ etc. but not once ever have any of us managed to over aggro and pull the boss form the tank even with that.
    Aggro is a joke in Classic compared to real vanilla were tanks had way less threat and fire mages way more threat.

Probably an issue with your tank(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zalamander View Post
    I'm curious as to under what circumstances you are talking about. Me and another guy raided as fire in MC so far in classic. Often we get insane ignite buildups and blow everyone else out of the water on damage meter, ignite ticking for 3500+ etc. but not once ever have any of us managed to over aggro and pull the boss form the tank even with that.
    Aggro is a joke in Classic compared to real vanilla were tanks had way less threat and fire mages way more threat.
    Are you saying compared to EARLY vanilla? That by 1.12 those changes had been made? Or are you suggesting that Blizzard have changed the way threat works in classic compared to vanilla overall?

1. Either give the tank a second or two to build some rage on the mob.
    2. Get a better tank.

Without knowing the situation, it's pretty hard to judge who is to blame. Aggro is a two way street, if you're not at least giving the tank some time to build threat, you're to blame. If the tank loses threat from you DPSing, other than a string of massive critical strikes, they aren't very good.

Not that it matters in a dungeon. Almost nothing hits hard enough that'll one shot you.

classic isn't like retail, you can't go balls to the walls as soon as the tank hits the target or you will pull aggro especially as fire. target what the tank is targeting and give him a few seconds to get aggro. If no matter what you do and you still pull aggro then the tank is probably just bad. Its up to YOU to manage YOUR threat, not anyone else

I haven't had issues pulling threat on my mage as frost unless the tank is clearly bad
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

this is a clear case of learn to play your class.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Are you saying compared to EARLY vanilla? That by 1.12 those changes had been made? Or are you suggesting that Blizzard have changed the way threat works in classic compared to vanilla overall?
    In this stage of vanilla(pre talent tree revamps of 1.10-1.12) the tanks had much worse threat generation and broken talent trees. They had to tank as arms spec rather than prot to generate enough threat.
    Also fire and frost mages didn't have their reduce threat talents yet until the mage talent revamp in AQ patch. Only arcane had some threat reduction in the talent trees at this stage.
    Now both frost and fire mages have a -30% threat in talent trees as well and that is a huge difference.