Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I slightly contest this, I’d love to see a red son superman movie or even better an injustice movie. The problem is to have either of those works for the general public you need a contrast so it can be the shock both story’s are meant to be but right now that contrast doesn’t exist as the mainline super man and dc movie verse in general are awful grim garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Um... it's got 88% on Rotten Tomatoes, as of right now, making it certifiably fresh. I don't make reviewers' words my gospel, but it does intrigue me because there has to be something done right for it to get that rating. I was expecting it to get panned like Justice League and Suicide Squad.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/birds_of_prey_2020
    Yeah, going to go with a no on that one if it has a high Rotten Tomato rating from reviewers it's probably a woke Leftist garbage pile. That is how most movie reviews have turned out lately, if you look at audience reviews its a much better metric for judging movies or shows. Look at Chappelle's last special reviewers and Hollywood elites gave it a terrible score, but had a high audience review.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    They haven't though, they have aimed them more (to my mind at least) as an alternate DCU, whereby things are all a bit darker and such. Been pretty clear from the get go.
    Also, something people aren't really asking here, is *Why* haven't they gone the MCUroute? Most likely because they are desperate to not be considered a rip off off.
    Contrary to what we like to think, average Joe doesn't really give two hoots about comic characters, and if they copy/paste the same formula, they will be derided by critics and the public for just trying to copy the more successful MCU.
    So I can understand why they are doing so, doesn't mean I like it, but I at least can understand why they are making them darker, so they stand out as their own franchise more.

It is also fine for us to pontificate and claim *we* know what sells and what doesn't, but the end of the day, we aren't the ones putting $100million up for funding, so our say is rather limited, and seeing as pretty much every movie has made its costs back and turned a profit (even BoP seems to be breaking even with worldwide sales bringing it back), it is hard to claim our way is better when it is bringing them in cash.

Release Date Title Production Budget Opening Weekend Domestic Box Office Worldwide Box Office
    Feb 7, 2020 Birds of Prey (And the Fant… $82,000,000 $33,010,017 $35,210,017 $83,202,436

Put simply, they *are* making a profit, which ultimately is what matters in the movie industry, so they will keep at it.

(Source https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/f...se#tab=summary)
    They are still a long way off from breaking even without even taking into consideration marketing budget which given how much it was in you face the last couple months is probably pretty substantial.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0s0FJfyqGk
    Im only talking live action the animated movies have been non stop good for as long as I can remember.

Not really, the marketing budget was pretty minimal. This was released in the off season, and whilst I am not sure about the USA advertising, here in EU, it was *very* minimal. Nothing beyond a trailer in the cinema, and not many posters from what I saw (and I go to the cinema and follow movies pretty religiously).
    Add in that the box office isn't the only revenue stream they plan for with films. They plan in DVD sales, and also long term licensing to companies like Netflix, and cable networks, and you can see suddenly they are more than on track to make the cash back.
    The movie has been out for 4 days, and is on track for the release period and how much was spent, not sure why people are so desperate for what is basically an off season popcorn flick to fail with all honesty.
    They ran ads here every damn commercial break and all over the place in other ways. They spent a shit ton on marketing in the states. Also, February really isn't the off season as it is where things start to pick up again. January is where they release things to die. I'm not saying the movie won't eventually be profitable I'm just saying it isn't anywhere near breaking even yet like you are indicating. As for being on track no they really are not for what they thought was going to happen. Domestic box office was predicted to be a modest $50 million opening weekend and it fell short of that by a considerable margin. They also wouldn't be changing the name of the movie after release if they were not concerned with the numbers.

I thought this was fucking terrrrrible. Almost walked out.

Not really, the marketing budget was pretty minimal. This was released in the off season, and whilst I am not sure about the USA advertising, here in EU, it was *very* minimal. Nothing beyond a trailer in the cinema, and not many posters from what I saw (and I go to the cinema and follow movies pretty religiously).
    Add in that the box office isn't the only revenue stream they plan for with films. They plan in DVD sales, and also long term licensing to companies like Netflix, and cable networks, and you can see suddenly they are more than on track to make the cash back.
    The movie has been out for 4 days, and is on track for the release period and how much was spent, not sure why people are so desperate for what is basically an off season popcorn flick to fail with all honesty.
    The general rule of thumb for a movie is that you need to reach the production budget times two to break even. Studios generally don't release numbers in regards of promotion, but if a movie makes less than that it is usually considered a flop.

And just to add: I don't care about this one. Already saw it, thought it was ok. Nothing special.

They officially changed the title of the movie too harley quinn - birds of prey.

And dropped that other stupid title. Bet the screenplay writer is feeling safe with her career atm kek

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    They officially changed the title of the movie too harley quinn - birds of prey.

And dropped that other stupid title. Bet the screenplay writer is feeling safe with her career atm kek
    I find it staggering the script was approved and green lit with that title, made it through marketing, all the while everyone thinking it was a good title. Unless they plan to make a Birds of Prey solo movie, and this was the launching platform (unlikely now given the Box Office), there was no need to shoehorn The Birds of Prey in there while doing their origin zero justice. It should have been a straight up Harley Quinn movie with some DCU supporting characters, and not Huntress and Black Canary in discount cosplay costumes and a shit Cassandra Cain characterization.

10+ Year Old Account
    First off

Nobody asked for this movie, nobody wanted it, super hero movies are burning the fuck out now, and Suicide Squad sucked and nearly bombed. So why the fuck would they make this.

If Hollywood hadn't gone to the well one too many times before it certainly has almost sucked the cow dry by now, I would almost think this was made intentionally to bomb.

I am ALL for women's empowerment and feel it's a long time coming, I support feminism in all forms, but just like with Ocean's 8 and a few others, I feel the same way. I give credit to the studios and I don't think they should stop.

But they have to do better than this, there are ways to do this right, this isn't it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    First off

Nobody asked for this movie, nobody wanted it, super hero movies are burning the fuck out now, and Suicide Squad sucked and nearly bombed. So why the fuck would they make this.

If Hollywood hadn't gone to the well one too many times before it certainly has almost sucked the cow dry by now, I would almost think this was made intentionally to bomb.

I am ALL for women's empowerment and feel it's a long time coming, I support feminism in all forms, but just like with Ocean's 8 and a few others, I feel the same way. I give credit to the studios and I don't think they should stop.

But they have to do better than this, there are ways to do this right, this isn't it.
    Suicide squad didnt "nearly" bomb it made a lot of money.

Awful movie but quality doesnt mean jack for sales.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Suicide squad didnt "nearly" bomb it made a lot of money.

Awful movie but quality doesnt mean jack for sales.

Budget $175 million
    Box office $746.8 million

You're right it didn't bomb, however accounting for marketing my guess is it likely did better than even. Not to mention all the principle actors in the first are not returning for the 2nd try at this.

My guess is if they haven't already wasted film, they shouldn't
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Not true.

There are MANY films that have high critical scores that audiences hated that are nothing to do with "leftist garbage".

Unless you think Spy Kids, Babe, Blair Witch Project, Drag me to Hell, Saturday Night Fever, Little Shop of Horrors, and 48 Hours are all part of some conspiracy to become "Woke".

Reviews are just that, personal opinion, stop trying to see some kind of conspiracy to fit whatever political agenda you may have. Sometimes, just sometimes, it is about the movie, and not more.
    I'm not the poster you are quoting, so forgive me sticking my nose in. My take isn't political. I've perceived a correlation that I find is true across many(but not all) movies. Perhaps I am incorrect, it is just my opinion based on observation.

If the critical reviews are high and the audience reviews are low, I believe that the best deduction is usually that the ending was "bad."

So a "bad ending" means something different to most movie connoisseurs vs a casual audience. I find that the mass movie audience usually likes the end of their movie to be both happy and predictable. I find that the connoisseur prefers the ending of a movie to subvert expectations. I also find that the casual movie-going audience(of which I am a part) often weights the quality of a movie more heavily based on the ending, where a movie reviewer will often give equal weight to the different parts of the film.

This has been true to the point where I can accurately spoil the endings of many movies(that I have never seen) to my family, anecdotally(of course), where there is a clear delineation in the rotten tomatoes reviews between critics and users.

In my experience, the same does not hold true for any other types of reviews I've found, perhaps books.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2020-02-12 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Budget $175 million
    Box office $746.8 million

You're right it didn't bomb, however accounting for marketing my guess is it likely did better than even. Not to mention all the principle actors in the first are not returning for the 2nd try at this.

My guess is if they haven't already wasted film, they shouldn't
    Marketing for these films is normally north of 100million. So probably looking at another 100-150mill marketing bill.

And suicide squad went all out. Nearly the entire cast at Comic con, multiple trailers with expensive songs (bohemian rhapsody)
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Um... it's got 88% on Rotten Tomatoes, as of right now, making it certifiably fresh. I don't make reviewers' words my gospel, but it does intrigue me because there has to be something done right for it to get that rating. I was expecting it to get panned like Justice League and Suicide Squad.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/birds_of_prey_2020
    Moral of the story is Rotten Tomatoes has no morals

They openly mod and delete to give more biased results

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    No kidding. On a related note.

https://goat.com.au/entertainment/bi...one-asked-for/

Birds o' prey fans are trying to derail sonic. This is gonna be fun.
    What is up with fandoms being toxic cesspits these days? Literally every fandom I hear of these days no matter which show or movie act as if the object of their fandom is their entire life and constantly get into fandom wars often harassing the writers in the process.

Wonder when they'll realize liking different things isn't mutually exclusive.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    No kidding. On a related note.

https://goat.com.au/entertainment/bi...one-asked-for/

Birds o' prey fans are trying to derail sonic. This is gonna be fun.
    Yeah, I been seeing that all around twitter....it's really sad and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I slightly contest this, I’d love to see a red son superman movie or even better an injustice movie. The problem is to have either of those works for the general public you need a contrast so it can be the shock both story’s are meant to be but right now that contrast doesn’t exist as the mainline super man and dc movie verse in general are awful grim garbage.
    ^^^ This is the main point I was trying to across earlier. You should showcase definitive baseline version of your characters before going in alternate directions with them. This is one thing I real enjoyed about the CW Crisis event. Seeing all the different versions... played by different actors... it was a fun trip. But that would have been confusing and pretty pointless if they did not spend entire seasons setting up the concept of the multiverse for the average viewer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    What is up with fandoms being toxic cesspits these days? Literally every fandom I hear of these days no matter which show or movie act as if the object of their fandom is their entire life and constantly get into fandom wars often harassing the writers in the process.

Wonder when they'll realize liking different things isn't mutually exclusive.
    These people aren't fans of the actual birds of prey or they would have noped out as soon as Cass spoke in the second trailer.

Also Sonic right now is 63 to 94 seems fans of the character are loving it and critics are hating it might have to go see it.
    Last edited by Xath; 2020-02-14 at 07:20 AM.

Manly nerds liking these marvel movies are the equivalent of girls loving justin biebers 'believe' shit. They'll buy anything. I'm embarrassed that people actually see this shit.

Also these kind of blow shit up movies fits the cinema, the actually good movies you simply don't go to a cinema to watch cause the experience sits way better when you see them at home where most people have big quality tv's with proper sound and way better comfort.