Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is it time for a New WoW? End of Classic+?

From a Classic and Retail player, I like both games, but I also dislike some things in both. Things like transmog/pet battles/heroic dungeons all appear good to me. Things like power creep, 15 levels of the same piece of gear due to the 50+ levels of Mythic+(exaggeration), just feels like bloated content that shouldn't be there.

Then you have Classic where the content can be really hard to near impossible solo, but thrives in a group setting. Classic builds social communities good and bad, but the content is limited and can get old really quickly.

I think if we pull together great elements from both and apply them into an entirely new and separate game, i.e. WoW2/Diablo:Santuary/Starcraft:Universe(All MMO ideas) it would be an amazing game. I think this is the only way to put in a Classic mentality and game structure into retail. I think the current WoW timeline is too far gone that there is zero way to bring it back to Vanilla.

Let me know what you think.

It's time for everyone to look for some other game. your ex-mmo is abusive, drunk and pretty aggressive. I might try ESO or something else this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapower View Post
    It's time for everyone to look for some other game. your ex-mmo is abusive, drunk and pretty aggressive. I might try ESO or something else this year.
    I've tried pretty much every MMO there is. Keep coming back...

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Im stuck with DoTA2, its solid satisfaction.

Im stuck with DoTA2, its solid satisfaction.
    Maybe a new game is good. I just like the WoW/Blizzard lore that I want to stay in the same IPs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrA View Post
    Maybe a new game is good. I just like the WoW/Blizzard lore that I want to stay in the same IPs.
    Their lore is very much over, and the writing team is not investing its just doing fastfood novels. Mark my words, if blizz would pauses for a few years and goes for some ground base writing and comes back with a wow2, we will all lose our pants. They have to make shit nostalgic.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Blizzard listen to this guy!
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz

15+ Year Old Account
    Same, I'm playing both.

What is driving me away from retail atm is that it's lost all it's chill and joy for me, bottom line. I can't chill out when I play this game anymore. Everything is ramped up, you need very consistently high APM at all times, tons of information to absorb, tons of things to play around.
    Also some of these encounters are just baffling to me. Someone thought disengaging the boss every 15 seconds to run a debuff out so you can't hit the boss would be fun, the devs think stuff like this is fun, but they don't design all the classes to be able to succeed under their circumstances, DH/Monk yawns at all the mobility, but then DK is absolutely screwed.
    Then loot is super random. Then the essences. Then there's people need to be benched.
    All these little things just keep irritating me over and over and there is no way to escape any of it other than to just not play.

Classic doesn't have any of this despite the content being too easy. Every single class brings something and can perform within the confines of the encounters, you don't have some classes passively moving faster than everyone, some with 3 teleports, some who can literally fly, some moving passively slower than everyone, it makes zero sense and it just feels like crap to see your buddies dunk on everything while you struggle.
    Also retail has specs that are both garbage in PVP and PVE at a high level. How is that even possible?

3+ Year Old Account
    Let us have WoW 2 instead of more crappy Retail expansions and also let us play Classic WoW up until WotLK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, make a solution based on a combo of both worlds.

Just don't touch these current Classic servers. They are not yet completely ruined by changes.

Their lore is very much over, and the writing team is not investing its just doing fastfood novels. Mark my words, if blizz would pauses for a few years and goes for some ground base writing and comes back with a wow2, we will all lose our pants. They have to make shit nostalgic.
    No we wouldn't. People are attached to their characters, imagine blizzard saying today something like this: 'oh sorry but your 10 years of character progression is going to the trashcan, because we're going to release WoW2, which is WoW but with a better graphics and some story'. That would be hilarious. 'New' WoW would end like any other MMO currently on the marked. Started big, get some audience, then slowly die off.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrA View Post
    From a Classic and Retail player, I like both games, but I also dislike some things in both. Things like transmog/pet battles/heroic dungeons all appear good to me. Things like power creep, 15 levels of the same piece of gear due to the 50+ levels of Mythic+(exaggeration), just feels like bloated content that shouldn't be there.

Then you have Classic where the content can be really hard to near impossible solo, but thrives in a group setting. Classic builds social communities good and bad, but the content is limited and can get old really quickly.

I think if we pull together great elements from both and apply them into an entirely new and separate game, i.e. WoW2/Diablo:Santuary/Starcraft:Universe(All MMO ideas) it would be an amazing game. I think this is the only way to put in a Classic mentality and game structure into retail. I think the current WoW timeline is too far gone that there is zero way to bring it back to Vanilla.

Let me know what you think.
    There's been a big shift in Blizzard's mentality toward gaming in the past several years. Originally, when WoW came out, it was the hot new product and it, in itself was more than enough to keep Blizzard moving forward. Eventually, I feel, there was a change their primary focus. Blame whatever you want, but when E-Sports invaded WoW, I knew it was over. E-Sports brings a whole lot of publicity and revenue in for Blizzard.

I've felt WoW's "Swan Song" was Legion. Once players went to Argus to take on Sargeras himself (kinda), I felt the "big bad" of the WoW universe was done and the story we've been building up to over the last decade had finally came to an end. Sort of like Avengers: Endgame. The story of the Demons, Sargeras, and Argus have been ingrained in WoW lore up until the release of that book that stated the Void was there "too". Now, I feel the story is interesting still, so I continue to play (and let's be real, I've invested the last 15 years into WoW, I doubt I'll go anywhere for longer than a few weeks), but BfA seems like an after thought. An, "oops, we forgot N'Zoth in our expansions, let's fit him in here".

Personally, I feel like we are already in WoW 2. We've been in it for a long time. Maybe since Cataclysm when the world changed dramatically? Arguments could probably be made for each expansion representing a full relook on the WoW franchise. I would LOVE to see some new IP come out from Blizzard. An IP that focuses on the MMO and not the E-Sports aspect of the games. Classic WoW brought back a lot of the sentiment for the MMO, but honestly, compared to Retail, it sucks. It's boring, slow, and a completely different game lacking SO MANY creature comforts that it makes me go back to Retail every time I log in. The atmosphere and community within Classic WoW (and WoW in 2004) was so much tighter and focused on the MMO aspect of the game, rather than ratings or world firsts.

I sit with anticipated breath waiting for Blizzard to unveil a new IP or a new WoW universe. Maybe time travel into the future for the next version of WoW. To a time when some new existential threat emerges. Take the creature comforts from WoW Retail, and make a new game that focuses more on the MMO, and less on E-Sports.

A certain way to kill off wow for good is cutting ties to players' achievements/collections aka wow 2. This will never happen. They will gradually improve retail until it's no longer economical.

Wish some other MMO provided as much and as good content.

Despite all its downsides, wow is still miles ahead of others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nak88 View Post
    also let us play Classic WoW up until WotLK.
    Not really sure that's in the cards, but then again, they'd do whatever keeps subs rolling.
    Would foresee that when my guild is prepping for Naxx, the play is 100% for Blizz to release Shadowlands & try to pull a chunk of the classic player base back into retail. For TBC/Wrath to follow up on Classic, I think Shadowlands would need to fall flat on it's face...

Quote Originally Posted by HCLM View Post
    No we wouldn't. People are attached to their characters, imagine blizzard saying today something like this: 'oh sorry but your 10 years of character progression is going to the trashcan, because we're going to release WoW2, which is WoW but with a better graphics and some story'. That would be hilarious. 'New' WoW would end like any other MMO currently on the marked. Started big, get some audience, then slowly die off.
    What if you could keep your charactar, but altered and aged, with some cosmetic rewards?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    Wish some other MMO provided as much and as good content.

Despite all its downsides, wow is still miles ahead of others.
    Yeah, but the writing devalued what was praised. I dont think, the way the main charactars turned out to be is actually worth anything, not to me nor in literary terms of writing. It's just not thoughtful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Sunk cost fallacy is a big thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    Sure, make a solution based on a combo of both worlds.

Just don't touch these current Classic servers. They are not yet completely ruined by changes.
    Yet another change today, bit by bit, bit by bit my dude, today its for policing player behaviour but that's only a small step from the Qol.

Quote Originally Posted by HCLM View Post
    Just copy the char data. That's all chars actualy are, entries in a data base.

Current wow and current wow client are totaly different to what first came out, even classic is just old skins and the old databases applied to the new client. Wow already is wow2

I've found a good home in Destiny 2. At least Bungie doesn't aggressively shit on its playerbase like Blizzard does.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    To you people that always want WoW2, what exactly do you think is going to happen should it actually happen one day?
    (spoilers: never gonna happen!)

Is Blizzard going to suddenly close wow servers and sell off all rights to WoW to some unknown developer group that was sent from heaven only to make us the best version of WoW2 humanly possible? No it's going to be the same tired old shitty devs with their same old ungodly activision bosses screaming deadlines and budget cuts with the same old disappointed look on your faces when you finally log in.
    The answer is simple, allow current Retail WoW to go into maintenance mode just like Blizzard does for all their games. They can announce first time ever server merges to allow for future funding on the new WoW2 servers. After some time, Blizzard could reevaluate their server numbers again to see if they can merge more if needed but all they would do is only fix bugs and exploits with the current game and never really update it.

With WoW2, they can request a different subscription fee for the game, while lowering the current retail/classic WoW to half the cost. This would also benefit Classic WoW players as it would be cheaper to play. Blizzard will have a win/win with this situation. Brand new game, sustainable subs from old game, increased revenue gains from cosmetics on the new game, etc.