10+ Year Old Account

[TV] Harley Quinn

When I saw the first promo of this series, I wasn't sure what to make of it. I was a big fan of the batman the animated series back in the 90s and guess at first I was basing a lot of my preconceptions off of that, so I saw this series taking a more humorous take on the characters and setting and wasn't sure how it would fair.

Turns out, its actually pretty enjoyable. The writers said they wanted to make a series based on harley quinn dedicated to actual fans of the characters, without restraint in how they tell a story, just goofy, over the top fun without network bullshit getting in the way.

This is something I often find with DC comics. When it comes to their movies, they've really been hit or miss, can sometimes produce gold like batman the dark knight, aquaman and wonder woman, and then produce complete shit like justice league, suicide squad, green lantern and Jonah Hex.

Their animated movies and series however is often rarely bad, making some good quality stuff like say batman the animated series, justice league unlimited, batman beyond, young justice and so on. And I'd count this as one, just a series that you don't have to take seriously as some of the others and just over the top fun.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2020-02-18 at 09:20 PM.
    #boycottchina

How was Birds of Prey a forced feminist dumpster fire?

Because it had a female cast? I don't get it.

Just saying something doesn't make it true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    How was Birds of Prey a forced feminist dumpster fire?

Because it had a female cast? I don't get it.

Just saying something doesn't make it true.

its the belief by irrational feminists that because people hate a movie that happens to have an all female cast, that must mean its a misogynistic thing, rather then calling out the insane premise of the films own crew saying they don't want white men coming to see their movie, which saying that is apparently okay.
    And when men didn't come to see it, they lost money, what a shocker!

Rubbish like what howlrunner here is saying demonstrates the fact of people living in a bubble of their misandrist motivated views. A movies bad, and it happens to have an all female cast, therefor it must mean its being judged on it being an all female cast, lol. This kind of mental gymnastics is what religious people do to prove why their religion is real and the only real one.

The irony, the cartoon I'm talking about in this very thread, is one with female lead protagonists, and yet that goes over someone elses agenda here.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Just wanted to say I like that image...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post

Why am I reacting like this? Mainly because I am sick to the back teeth of people whining and insulting the film. It isn't a bad film, does what it sets out to do, and certainly isn't a "forced social feminist dumpster fire". It was a fun, superhero movie, that was aimed at teenage girls. No different than Sabrina the Teenage Witch in the olden days, and She-Ra in the *really* old days.
    Just let it fucking go.
    this is a case of not seeing the wood for the trees. You've wrapped up any show or movie with a female lead as being the same, so much so you can't even accept criticism of to the point you derail a thread when discussing another product entirely.

Edit: Just saw it is a Trassk thread. New year, same old shit *sigh*. (Now here is where he screeches and rants because of "personal attack", the mods roll their eyes as they get yet *another* report, and we all have a chuckle, and ignore it like normal people.)
    But, you didn't ignore it. infact, your the one who plastered a rant in the third post about how your feelings were hurt over criticism to a movie you like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    so do I. It show cases that a character can in a strong female lead, but that doesn't mean every female lead is of the same ilk, some just fail at it. I love characters like ripley and Sarah Connor and wonder woman, and even characters like harley quinn, when portrayed right.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, maybe lets talk about the series I brought up instead of turning this into another rant about a movie with its own thread? Opinions have been given, just move on.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2020-02-18 at 03:27 AM.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Yeah, it does go a long way to demonstrating the hysterical garbage that has taken hold of those who constantly screech about da evul feminazi SJWs.

its the belief by irrational feminists that because people hate a movie that happens to have an all female cast, that must mean its a misogynistic thing, rather then calling out the insane premise of the films own crew saying they don't want white men coming to see their movie, which saying that is apparently okay.

Rubbish like what howlrunner here is saying demonstrates the fact of people living in a bubble of their misandrist motivated views. A movies bad, and it happens to have an all female cast, therefor it must mean its being judged on it being an all female cast, lol. This kind of mental gymnastics is what religious people do to prove why their religion is real and the only real one.

The irony, the cartoon I'm talking about in this very thread, is one with female lead protagonists, and yet that goes over someone elses agenda here.
    The foreveralones always hate it when a female cast member isn't perfect waifu material.

There's nothing wrong with Captain Marvel.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Especially not as it is a movie aimed at 15-25 year old teen/young women,
    That movie is not aimed at 15-25 year old women, it's a Marvel/Disney movie, it's aimed to make as much money as possible, that's the main goal. It's all about money and nothing else.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

I like it, it's pritty funny and there's a strong supporting cast.

I really like the take on King shark. And I think the whole thing is rather well written.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    The foreveralones always hate it when a female cast member isn't perfect waifu material.
    This is what real sexism looks like.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Would have added Charly Baltimore to that pic-list.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    There's nothing wrong with Captain Marvel.
    I think people forget that the comics version of her is fairly unlikable, the best thing she did was get put into a coma by Rogue, which started Rogue's path to being a hero. Brie Larson absolutely nails the character.

In House of M, Scarlet Witch fulfills everyone's deepest desires, and for Captain Marvel it makes people actually like her.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I'm not sure where to start with this comment, that I wouldn't call the majority of that image waifu material or that Trassk probably doesn't want a female waifu.

On topic, I'm a couple episodes behind but I've been loving Harley Quinn!
    Last edited by Jotaux; 2020-02-18 at 09:07 PM.

Yeah, I only see two that are waifu material for me...and one is a cyborg...(and that's a first from me)

Anyway, maybe lets talk about the series I brought up instead of turning this into another rant about a movie with its own thread? Opinions have been given, just move on.
    If you had resisted the temptation to tweak the nose of those that clearly follow your posts and attempt to derail them, this post may have gone somewhere. I doubt this topic can be saved, though I’ll try.

I let my DC sub lapse before I could catch all the episodes but I liked what I saw. Oddly Harley is really hard for some to set a proper tone with. That Batman/Harley movie where they go up against the Fluorinc man? Absolutely one of the worst DC animated films I’ve seen. This series, from what I’ve seen, was actually doing a good job so I look forward to catching up once I re-up to DC’s service when Doom Patrol S2 drops.

Edited the OP, I know this has already derailed some. But please keep it on the topic of the Animated Harley Quinn show, and not on other projects or forbidden topics.

Im currently loving this series, and i find it amazing how they managed to make the show this much dark/gory and incredibly funny at the same time. lol

" So much lost time... that you'll never get back!"....

10+ Year Old Account
    Well they just finished the first season, really just went nuts in the final episode conclusion, although I did feel it a shame there wasn't more development with other characters in the final episode of the series with the focus just being on harley and the joker. But I guess its her show so it had to really be.

Overall I loved this series so far, Harley's become such a popular character now, but I still remember first discovering her in batman the animated series and liking the character, seeing her as more a tragic figure then anything. So given how she was a character held by stockholm syndrome in BTAS years ago, it really felt like this series as a spiritual successor to that series, at least in regards to harley as a character, going from a timid slave to the joker to her finally going up against him and ending it with him.

This once more highlights one of the things I find with DC comics, now marvel movies can do good adaptations of their products, having only a few misses but a lot of scores like with x-men, spiderman, avengers, guardians. With DC, they of late have very rarely hit the mark on their movies (unless its batman focused). However DC just seems to excel far better with their animated series creations, which has more room to flesh out the world its all set in.
    Even when its a self contained take on the DC universe like this series, it built more about the world and characters then any movies done lately.

Sometimes, cartoons are just better formats for telling stories then live action can manage (*coughwarcraftmoviecough*)

Last edited by Trassk; 2020-02-24 at 01:08 AM.
    #boycottchina