Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    This makes me chuckle.

But really the Girl Scouts doesn't handle many of the "life skills" shit the Boy Scouts does.
    I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing. While the Girl Scouts doesn't deal in as many of the practical skillsets, the focus on cultivating critical thinking and organizational skills are pretty awesome.

Quite frankly I think a lot of those "life skills" should be taught in high school anyway. Bring back Home Economics but without the sexism.

And their cookies have seriously turned to shit too.
    I'm gonna kindly ask you to leave my property if you're going to slander Thin Mints like this. *takes off hoops*
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing. While the Girl Scouts doesn't deal in as many of the practical skillsets, the focus on cultivating critical thinking and organizational skills are pretty awesome.

Quite frankly I think a lot of those "life skills" should be taught in high school anyway. Bring back Home Economics but without the sexism.
    Well sure while we're funding schools properly lets fire all the "administrators" whatever the fuck they're even for, reduce class sizes and increase teacher pay!

I'm gonna kindly ask you to leave my property if you're going to slander Thin Mints like this. *takes off hoops*
    No seriously, they changed the recipe and are now using some new artificial ingredients which anecdotally myself and several of my coworkers all agree upset our stomachs.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

As much good as the organization has done (Eagle Scout, here), this is well deserved. No amount of good can make up for decades of protecting and enabling child abusers, and they're discovering that without the deep pockets of the Vatican that this isn't a financially sustainable strategy.

Though props to them for declaring bankruptcy not because they don't have any money/assets - they absolutely do - but because they can't get insurance to cover "We protected pedophiles and the chickens are coming home to roost." after their existing carrier dropped them.

If this burns the current organization to the ground and allows for an improved organization that will actually protect Scouts and actively pursue potential child abusers, this is all for the best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Well sure while we're funding schools properly lets fire all the "administrators" whatever the fuck they're even for, reduce class sizes and increase teacher pay!
    Word.

No seriously, they changed the recipe and are now using some new artificial ingredients which anecdotally myself and several of my coworkers all agree upset our stomachs.
    I'm not in a position to counter this observation since my usual method of partaking of Thin Mints is freezing them and using them to dip into my Bailey's. The ethanol cancels out the artificial ingredients by being even more toxic :^)
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Granted, if the main criteria is that it excludes 50%+++ of the population, perhaps the pickings are shrinking in terms of big organizations... Yay!
    Not that I'm disagreeing wit what happened to them, but that changed last year. All genders are allowed into Scouts now, they don't exclude anyone anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I'm not in a position to counter this observation since my usual method of partaking of Thin Mints is freezing them and using them to dip into my Bailey's. The ethanol cancels out the artificial ingredients by being even more toxic :^)
    I can't argue with dipping anything in Baileys.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Sad. I wouldn't be who I was today if it wasn't for my Troop.

That said, the BSA was going down the toilet for years, and the value of being an Eagle Scout is not what it used to be. The BSA succumbed the SJW agenda, compromising the safety of its members. Rather than make themselves targets for lawsuits or expose their members, many Church ran Troops simply decided to not renew and disband.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    As much good as the organization has done (Eagle Scout, here), this is well deserved. No amount of good can make up for decades of protecting and enabling child abusers, and they're discovering that without the deep pockets of the Vatican that this isn't a financially sustainable strategy.

Though props to them for declaring bankruptcy not because they don't have any money/assets - they absolutely do - but because they can't get insurance to cover "We protected pedophiles and the chickens are coming home to roost." after their existing carrier dropped them.

If this burns the current organization to the ground and allows for an improved organization that will actually protect Scouts and actively pursue potential child abusers, this is all for the best.
    ^^^^^^

Sadly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The BSA succumbed the SJW agenda, compromising the safety of its members.
    Viewpoints like this are why I'm glad the BSA is going out on a low note. I wasn't aware that dogwhistling was a patch you could earn.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The BSA succumbed the SJW agenda, compromising the safety of its members.
    Which part of the SJW AGENDA, specifically, is responsible for boys being raped by their Scoutmasters?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    And what I'm merely pointing out is that people under the age of majority are children.
    In a legal context, sure. Colloquially, however, there's a general distinction between "child" and "teenager" that even most dictionaries recognize. Hence why I emphasized children. Regardless, there's no need to be pedantic. I agree with the person that I originally quoted.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2020-02-19 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Agreed. Though not sure "sexual preferences" fits in there for a "youth" group.
    Ah, sorry, I meant "sexual orientation".
    Mother pus bucket!

The Catholics must be breathing a sigh of relief at this.

If you trust your kids with other adults on faith alone, you're fucking up, it doesn't matter what organization they belong to.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    I rather have a youth organisation based on secular humanistic values, which is inclusive towards all races, genders and sexual preferences.
    And no one cares about your virtue signaling. I'm pretty sure the Boy Scouts as an organization, after being harassed for the last few years by people like you for not including girls were getting fed up with the bullshit people like you speak. It's funny though they have the Girl Scouts who have existed for over 50 years, but apparently you feminist bigots can't see that as being good enough and have to project your diatribe onto those who don't follow your ridiculous dogma.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    And no one cares about your virtue signaling. I'm pretty sure the Boy Scouts as an organization, after being harassed for the last few years by people like you for not including girls were getting fed up with the bullshit people like you speak. It's funny though they have the Girl Scouts who have existed for over 50 years, but apparently you feminist bigots can't see that as being good enough and have to project your diatribe onto those who don't follow your ridiculous dogma.
    It's a free market, they could have told people to piss off. They chose to allow girls.

Enrollment in the BSA had been falling for a while. Kids weren't as interested, and the same goes for parents. Allowing girls was an attempt to increase their numbers, it was a financial decision... as all businesses tend to want to do.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

The whole concept of the organization is good at it's core, which is why it's a bad thing that it's shutting down. But definitely not putting the welfare of the Scouts as children first and enabling child abusers for so long ultimately did nothing but obliterate their reputation.

It's almost as if falling behind the times and adhering to old values that society has clearly moved on from is a bad business move.

- - - Updated - - -

The whole concept of the organization is good at it's core, which is why it's a bad thing that it's shutting down. But definitely not putting the welfare of the Scouts as children first and enabling child abusers for so long ultimately did nothing but obliterate their reputation.
    What exactly is the core concept that is so unique and valuable? Is it the religious indoctrination? Is it the weird obsession with anti-gay messaging while also protecting pedophiles?
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Well, if they want to stray from what we find to be true and good in society, then they can go fuck themselves. So can you, for that matter.
    Mother pus bucket!

So you blame the evil feminists for the Boy Scouts' decline in popularity, without even stopping to consider that that decline was what led them to even consider allowing girls in in the first place. Astonishing.

And for the record, the Girl Scouts were founded in 1912. 2 years after the Boy Scouts.

So, you even point out that it's not about including girls.

If people were more upset that the BSA allowed girls, than the fact that they covered up for pedophiles... then that's on them.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is that the girl scouts have that cookie money market cornered. I would say not that the boy scouts are all inclusive it's time for a little competition, Boy Scout doughnuts
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis