Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    I mean, what could be easier than that? Baldur's Gate city as a setting is writing similarity. Here, it took me 0.2 sec to figure that out.
    As I said before in this thread - setting is the only thing shared by both. Anything else?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamSlaveOne View Post
    As I said before in this thread - setting is the only thing shared by both. Anything else?
    Well, you did ask for ANY, so I gave you this. Please don't wave away a major link between games, it doesn't help you. Old chars making cameo is other. Graphics - you expected something similar to 20y ago? Please. Can't really say much about music/sound from that snippet we got.

But I would like to ask you this. Is Neverwinter Nights 2 not a sequel to NWN 1? Same city, but diff graphics, story etc.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

7+ Year Old Account
    They already confirmed you will see some familiar faces as well. The lore itself takes into account what happened in the past games, how does it need to do anything more than those to be a sequel?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure they are different enough even without beard to see the difference.
    The beard is the only real difference. The clothing is exactly the kind of nonsense Volo would wear. If you're complaining because it's not exactly the clothing in the 5e sourcebook picture, let me introduce you to the idea that some people might have more than one set of clothes, and might change their clothing over time.

Slap the same bushy beard on that guy, and you'd never know the difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Setting, history, a suite of characters. A lot more than just setting.

Plus, the name of the original games were "Baldur's Gate". Not "The Bhaalspawn Saga". Returning to the same title city is what makes this a Baldur's Gate game.

And once again, this is not vampire. It is vampire spawn.
    The word spawn doesn't matter, because the difference between a vampire and a vampire spawn was not relevant to the discussion. One is a weaker version and a slave to its master. Everything else is pretty much the same - the looks, the strengths, the weaknesses, the behavior.

The fact that he can prance around in the sun doesn't even fit the 5e, let alone the previous bg games.

Wee! Game looks great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by burek View Post
    The word spawn doesn't matter, because the difference between a vampire and a vampire spawn was not relevant to the discussion. One is a weaker version and a slave to its master. Everything else is pretty much the same - the looks, the strengths, the weaknesses, the behavior.

The fact that he can prance around in the sun doesn't even fit the 5e, let alone the previous bg games.
    And? We really don't know anything about the character.

This is like saying "the protagonist in BG2 doesn't make any sense, "Bhaalspawn" isn't a character option in 2e".

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by burek View Post

Him being able to walk in the sun is the effect of tadpole, get informed. But honestly, Twilight movies are 10y old, get over them. You remind me of those people who were frothing at their mouths when they heard Worgens join the game in Cata.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The beard is the only real difference. The clothing is exactly the kind of nonsense Volo would wear. If you're complaining because it's not exactly the clothing in the 5e sourcebook picture, let me introduce you to the idea that some people might have more than one set of clothes, and might change their clothing over time.

Slap the same bushy beard on that guy, and you'd never know the difference.
    Eh, I'm the only one who see very different and distinct facial features? Fine then. Still, making a famous character recognizable at first sight without reading nameplates would be a welcome change.

Setting, history, a suite of characters. A lot more than just setting.

Plus, the name of the original games were "Baldur's Gate". Not "The Bhaalspawn Saga". Returning to the same title city is what makes this a Baldur's Gate game.
    So Dark Alliance series should be also treated like sequels? Why than new Dark Alliance game had lost Baldur's Gate and number in it's title and got Dungeon & Dragons instead?

But I would like to ask you this. Is Neverwinter Nights 2 not a sequel to NWN 1? Same city, but diff graphics, story etc.
    This is good and very tough question for me. I don't feel like NWN2 should have 2 in the title. But I feel this way with numerous films and games because marketing will dictate title names in the first place.

I think some of the "old die-hard" fans are feel like you get from Fallout1-2 to a Fallout4 without iconic pipboy and jazz music radio, green text, etc. This all my primary concern not the 3 in the title: I don't feel like it's Baldur's Game at all. Nothing looks, sound and feels familiar.

7+ Year Old Account
    This is good and very tough question for me. I don't feel like NWN2 should have 2 in the title. But I feel this way with numerous films and games because marketing will dictate title names in the first place.

I think some of the "old die-hard" fans are feel like you get from Fallout1-2 to a Fallout4 without iconic pipboy and jazz music radio, green text, etc. This all my primary concern not the 3 in the title: I don't feel like it's Baldur's Game at all. Nothing looks, sound and feels familiar
    Well, you and others have been arguing against a dictionary definition of a word "sequel". Feelings are kinda irrelevant here. But this conversation has gone stale. If some people don't want to acknowledge BG3 for w/e reason, so be it. Majority of us is waiting with excitement.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2020-03-08 at 11:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I'm the only one who see very different and distinct facial features? Fine then.
    Nose is close enough. Eyebrows are the same. The face is MAYBE a little younger, but that could be accounting for the specific date. Can't see much of the mouth/chin under the beard.

It's the same thing as the classic "man shaves manly beard, looks like baby" comics, just in reverse.

Still, making a famous character recognizable at first sight without reading nameplates would be a welcome change.
    Hard to make him "recognizeable at first sight" when most of his exposure has been as an in-realms author, in text. Plus, as far as I know, we really just have two art pieces, one from 2e, one from 5th, and they're not that similar either.

So Dark Alliance series should be also treated like sequels? Why than new Dark Alliance game had lost Baldur's Gate and number in it's title and got Dungeon & Dragons instead?
    Ask WotC. It's their decision.

The new game is set in Baldur's Gate. There's every reason to stick that label on it. More than BGII had.

I think some of the "old die-hard" fans are feel like you get from Fallout1-2 to a Fallout4 without iconic pipboy and jazz music radio, green text, etc.
    What on Earth are you talking about?

Fallout 4 has the iconic pip-boy (if you play more than 5 minutes into the intro, at least), the default text on it is green, the jazz music is everywhere, etc.

7+ Year Old Account
    If some people don't want to acknowledge BG3 for w/e reason, so be it.
    Those people can froth at the mouth how "it's not the same" and the millions of others will be enjoying the game.

Just as some figures to show how good Larian are:

BG 2 by the end of its release year made $9.2M USD. Selling almost 200k copies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur...Shadows_of_Amn

Divinity OS 2 by the end of its release year made $85M USD. Sold over a million copies by Nov release year. Gained "universal acclaim" and lots of other accolades related to CRPGs, including a lot of "Best Narrative" "Best Sound Design for Indie Game" etc etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divinity:_Original_Sin_II
    https://wccftech.com/divinity-origin...-revenue-2017/

In short, the developers know what they're doing and we've already had confirmation WoTC is working closely with them in terms of what's approved to make sure it's staying true to the BG franchise.

- - - Updated - - -

What on Earth are you talking about?

Fallout 4 has the iconic pip-boy (if you play more than 5 minutes into the intro, at least), the default text on it is green, the jazz music is everywhere, etc.
    I think it's clearly sufficient to use an apt phrase for people like @DreamSlaveOne: haters gonna hate.

I'm sorry. English in not my first language and it's very late here so it seems I can't write down single coherent thought. What I meant is BG3 feels for me like Fallout 4 without iconic features of Fallout series. BG3 currently looks like Divinity:OS 3 under different name but maybe Larian proves me wrong.

BG3 currently looks like Divinity:OS 3 under different name but maybe Larian proves me wrong.
    But that's the thing... what defining characteristics did balder's gate have other than bad pausable real time combat that DOS doesn't? You're gonna need to give me a list here.

BG had:

Party based combat
    Customizable classes
    Generic fantasy spells
    The setting of BG and the sword coast

DOS has all of this, minus the setting part, except now it's getting that...

Remember when tony hawks pro skater 5 came out? Sucked. This is the same marketing ploy of giving the game a marketable title despite no one from the original games still works on it. Nice job falling for blatant marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Remember when tony hawks pro skater 5 came out? Sucked. This is the same marketing ploy of giving the game a marketable title despite no one from the original games still works on it. Nice job falling for blatant marketing.
    Except Larian has proven with IMMENSE amounts of success over the og BG series that they CAN make a good game. One that is better than BG 1&2. They were probably fine and dandy making DOS3. Then wizards approached them and asked "hey, we like yo shiz, and you made BG in the past... can we get in on it now?" And they said "Hell yeah! We love BG!"

I see nothing wrong here. Even if it's just DOS skinned in BG, that is a damn good game as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    Except Larian has proven with IMMENSE amounts of success over the og BG series that they CAN make a good game. One that is better than BG 1&2. They were probably fine and dandy making DOS3. Then wizards approached them and asked "hey, we like yo shiz, and you made BG in the past... can we get in on it now?" And they said "Hell yeah! We love BG!"

I see nothing wrong here. Even if it's just DOS skinned in BG, that is a damn good game as it is.
    Don't even bother engaging with it. Its just a troll. See their responses in other threads.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    But that's the thing... what defining characteristics did balder's gate have other than bad pausable real time combat that DOS doesn't? You're gonna need to give me a list here.

BG had:

Party based combat
    Customizable classes
    Generic fantasy spells
    The setting of BG and the sword coast

DOS has all of this, minus the setting part, except now it's getting that...
    First, I'd like to clarify that I don't hate BG3 not in the slightest. I had a few very enjoyable DOS2 runs with friends; it's great game and I don't think BG3 would be less of a game in any way. It's 100% preorder so I really don't get why people act like I have some holy crusade against it.

Second, I don't have definitive answer to your question. I played old Planescape, Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate games multiple times and while they are very similar but each have it's own "soul". It's hard to pinpoint what exactly made BG2 unique for me. Sheer number of content in the game, writing quality with proper balance between seriousness and humor, outstanding voice acting with David Warner as enigmatic villain, vast number of creatures you had to battle among your journey ranging from goblins to dragons and a certain demilich, character progression felt relevant even at the and of TOB expansion... It's one of the best RPG of all time in my opinion and definitely distinct enough from DOS which is stellar in it's own way.

7+ Year Old Account
    Second, I don't have definitive answer to your question. I played old Planescape, Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate games multiple times and while they are very similar but each have it's own "soul". It's hard to pinpoint what exactly made BG2 unique for me. Sheer number of content in the game, writing quality with proper balance between seriousness and humor, outstanding voice acting with David Warner as enigmatic villain, vast number of creatures you had to battle among your journey ranging from goblins to dragons and a certain demilich, character progression felt relevant even at the and of TOB expansion... It's one of the best RPG of all time in my opinion and definitely distinct enough from DOS which is stellar in it's own way.
    After playing the DOS games, the bold can be said for them too.

1) Sheer number of content - check -> ppl have playthroughs ranging from 60-150+ hours
    2) Quality writing - check -> look to the accolades they garnered with DOS2
    3) Balance of Humor/Seriousness - check -> Both games do this well, DOS1 slightly more humourous & DOS2 slightly more serious
    4) Outstanding VA - check -> both games have it
    5) Vast number of creatures - check
    6) Character progression feeling relevant - check, every new level increases your power greatly/opens up new abilities/allows more versatility

First, I'd like to clarify that I don't hate BG3 not in the slightest. I had a few very enjoyable DOS2 runs with friends; it's great game and I don't think BG3 would be less of a game in any way. It's 100% preorder so I really don't get why people act like I have some holy crusade against it.
    Probably because you focused so much on complaining and perhaps didn't mention the preorder part at the beginning?

That said, if you've played DOS2 you should know it contains all the things you listed that made BG2 stellar in your eyes. Also if you're going to 100% preorder it why are you trying so hard to complain about it?

That doesn't make sense. It makes your complaints look hollow, because those complaints then obviously aren't big enough to stop you from pre-ordering/purchasing/playing the game as well as looking forward to it.

So you come off as I said: haters gonna hate.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry. English in not my first language and it's very late here so it seems I can't write down single coherent thought. What I meant is BG3 feels for me like Fallout 4 without iconic features of Fallout series. BG3 currently looks like Divinity:OS 3 under different name but maybe Larian proves me wrong.
    It has nothing to do with a language barrier. You claimed that Fallout 4 was lacking specific features of the Fallout series, and every single one that you mentioned, it has in spades. It has every single feature you claimed it didn't.