Page 1 of 19
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Stimulus Checks...how ya gonna spend it?

As many of you guys may know already, the US is going to be sending out stimulus checks here very soon. Bush Jr did this. Obama did this. Now the Trump administration is probably going to do this (although this was something that Democrats in both the House and Senate have drafted not actually Trump but more on that later). So my question to you guys is what do you plan on using your money on? My boyfriend and I aren't sure if we're getting one each or just one between us & my grandma (we use her house as our mailing address and have for years now for various things). I'm hoping he & I both get one. I think it'll go to pay off more of our car or maybe for him to get a new PC and the rest in the bank kind of thing.

For those who aren't aware, this is the 411 on the stimulus checks:

Every TAXPAYER. Some people don't file and don't pay taxes.

Mnuchin said Tuesday that millionaires would not be getting the checks. A Democratic proposal from Rep. Tim Ryan (D-Ohio) and Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) would give at least $1,000 to everyone making less than $65,000. They say that about 75 percent of Americans would qualify.

A Democratic plan from Sens. Michael F. Bennet of Colorado, Cory Booker of New Jersey and Sherrod Brown of Ohio would go even further.

It provides $2,000 for every American adult and child plus a $1,500 check in the summer and a $1,000 check in the fall, if the public health emergency continues.

The highest income earners would not get checks under the Democratic plan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming it actually happens, maybe a new graphics card for my computer. I have a 1060 and while it's not a bad card, it's showing its age. Maybe a Switch and games for it. *shrugs* We'll see.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

I would love to pay down my car balance on that loan so I can make a better trade soon...but since a failing economy means I make less each week I will prob need to spend it on the necessities like food and utilities
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

I'll just invest it.

My jeep is almost paid off so I will likely do that with the money. One less bill.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    If it’s under $65k then nothing, both my wife and I make more...

If I/we end up getting something, then it’ll just go in the bank. We both are working from home, so we aren’t hurting from this, in fact, we’re saving money by not filling up her Audi every week, and my Mazda every other.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2020-03-18 at 11:01 AM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

It goes right into my investments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    As many of you guys may know already, the US is going to be sending out stimulus checks here very soon. Bush Jr did this. Obama did this. Now the Trump administration is probably going to do this (although this was something that Democrats in both the House and Senate have drafted not actually Trump but more on that later). So my question to you guys is what do you plan on using your money on? My boyfriend and I aren't sure if we're getting one each or just one between us & my grandma (we use her house as our mailing address and have for years now for various things). I'm hoping he & I both get one. I think it'll go to pay off more of our car or maybe for him to get a new PC and the rest in the bank kind of thing.

I remember the stimulus check in 2001 and 2008. But there was another after that?

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post

Obama didn't send out checks, just free cell phones

Let me guess: All the SoShuliSm coMMiE weLFarE evul types will absolutely refuse any such checks? Right?

Yea...Didn't think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Put it into the bank and hope I don't have to use it.

On second thought maybe i'll donate it to the DNC or Biden to help beat Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Let me guess: All the SoShuliSm coMMiE weLFarE evul types will absolutely refuse any such checks? Right?

Yea...Didn't think so.
    No you see when that family of 5 needs wellfare to feed themselves it's horrible and a waste of tax payer money!

When they need it it's totally deserved cuz hard times or something idk. They're hypocrisy is great.

OT: Probably put it in the bank in case I need it down the riad

If it's 65k, I wouldn't qualify, but my wife would qualify. Seems like it needs to be a bit higher if they're hoping to hit the middle class as well as the lower class, but eh, I'll survive without it and they might not, so no big deal.

I'd probably put it toward a new bed. We added a second dog to the house this last year and it turns out we've reached our current bed's occupancy limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    It goes right into my investments.
    Unless the strip the means testing, we're not getting anything. Which, of course, is fine - I don't need it and probably wouldn't use it for anything that would cause short-run stimulus.

10+ Year Old Account
    The point of the stimulus check is to help people impacted by the coronavirus. Which is why I have said, and will keep saying, just handing $1,000 to everyone doesn't make any sense. In fact, it's counterproductive.

That said, I was saving some money for a EU family trip that, well, is canceled, but is now a stash of money for an emergency. It'd just land there and collect dust (not so much interest) for quick and easy access if I end up with hospital bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The point of the stimulus check is to help people impacted by the coronavirus. Which is why I have said, and will keep saying, just handing $1,000 to everyone doesn't make any sense. In fact, it's counterproductive.

That said, I was saving some money for a EU family trip that, well, is canceled, but is now a stash of money for an emergency. It'd just land there and collect dust (not so much interest) for quick and easy access if I end up with hospital bills.
    Means testing is likely sensible but getting more specific than that creates administrative burden, costs, and delays. Even if there's some waste in just cutting everyone under X income a check, it's fast, efficient, and should provide the needed relief for the people hit hardest. If additional directed programs for housing relief are jobs assistance are necessary (and I'd wager they will be), the short-run checks buy the time to figure out coherent rules for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Unless the strip the means testing, we're not getting anything. Which, of course, is fine - I don't need it and probably wouldn't use it for anything that would cause short-run stimulus.
    I presume there was means testing. I never actually experienced this before. Last time they sent out checks during the financial crisis, I think I was a college student then and didn't file taxes yet or something.

If there is means testing, I'll take my $30 and order Dominoes pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Obama didn't send out checks, just free cell phones
    That phone program started under bush omg you're such a hack.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

HoW aRe YoU gOnNa PaY fOr It?/?/