Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    The Nintendo Switch's intended audience is 15 to 30 years old. Every market report I've read says they've been highly successful in their intended market.

The Nintendo Switch has been outselling the PS4 and XboxOne for about a year now. Since it came out much later than either of those consoles, total figures still has PS4 well ahead as the PS4 monthly sales have only been slightly lower than the Switch, but it has outsold the XboxOne in total sales as of about the beginning of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    xbox dominate usa
    OK boomer!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantombeard View Post
    The Build it bigger is all on You, I didn't say that. You hear the Voices too huh. Technology is a wonderful thing when utilized correctly. You could go either way, smaller or Bigger. Don't be dumb. Think before you write.

- - - Updated - - -

Out of a 100 Sony PSP games I own, none of them are scratched and my argument wasn't about scratched disc. My argument was around production cost. Nice Misdirect there but you missed.
    Oh so your argument is to use UMDs?

LMFAO they died for a reason, even Sony didn't use them on the Vita FFS. Not only did they cost more then carts to make, they stored less data.

I at least thought you where being sensible and suggesting Nintendo fit a blu ray drive in a device the size of a wallet(impossible but was better then the reply), not being completely ridiculous and wanting them to resurrect an old and dead media form.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-03-21 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    This thread is about young people. As such a person you don't have that much money and if your parents don't spoil you, then you probably won't have multiple consoles/smartphone/PC. Thus a kid had to decide between handheld devices. Smartphones are a handheld device, thus they compete with the 3DS or the Switch.
    But what is your point, Nintendo can't keep the Switch on the shelves it's selling so well and that by itself really destroys the point you're trying to raise, there are no shortage of young people that play the Switch. My sister isn't going to buy a smart phone for her 7 year or 4 year old kids, a cheap amazon tablet maybe, but a console that the whole family can play is a no brainer. My youngest nephews are obsessed with Super Mario/Luigi, Sonic the Hedgehog and Minecraft, they watch the cartoon shows and they play the games.

What they certainly don't need as young children is free access to the internet/social media, or the ability to phone people. For the purpose of gaming a smartphone is a vastly inferior device, despite that the most powerful phones are much more powerful than the Switch they also cost several times as much, if gaming is your intention it makes no sense to buy a phone for that.

And if you're talking slightly older kids, yeah some kids will have to choose between a phone/games console, others will get both.. Not everyone is a gaming enthusiast, but enough are that the console market is healthy, and Nintendo especially own their niche in the market, the Switch is extremely popular.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    But what is your point, Nintendo can't keep the Switch on the shelves it's selling so well and that by itself really destroys the point you're trying to raise, there are no shortage of young people that play the Switch. My sister isn't going to buy a smart phone for her 7 year or 4 year old kids, a cheap amazon tablet maybe, but a console that the whole family can play is a no brainer. My youngest nephews are obsessed with Super Mario/Luigi, Sonic the Hedgehog and Minecraft, they watch the cartoon shows and they play the games.

What they certainly don't need as young children is free access to the internet/social media, or the ability to phone people. For the purpose of gaming a smartphone is a vastly inferior device, despite that the most powerful phones are much more powerful than the Switch they also cost several times as much, if gaming is your intention it makes no sense to buy a phone for that.

And if you're talking slightly older kids, yeah some kids will have to choose between a phone/games console, others will get both.. Not everyone is a gaming enthusiast, but enough are that the console market is healthy, and Nintendo especially own their niche in the market, the Switch is extremely popular.
    I was making my point under the premise OP gave us. You are (most likely correctly) assuming that OP's premise is wrong, but that's not what this thread is about. It's about finding possible reasons why young people don't want Nintendo nowadays.

Secondly no, the Switch is not cheaper than a serious gaming smartphone. In my country the new model of the Switch costs something over 300€, which is enough to buy a smartphone with absolute top specs (for example a xiaomi/redmi phone).

I am also not used to children under 8 years getting a gaming device at all, since I was not raised that way. And I would certainly never buy an elementary school child a gaming console for over 300€ (a console for the whole family is a different matter, but I'm talking about gifting a personal handheld device). And middle school is around the time I'd expect a child to more often choose the smartphone over a switch if given the choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    I'm pretty sure third party games like OW or Witcher 3 could easily be ported to phones, since their hardware is more powerful than Switch. Why developers don't do it is another story.
    Because the controls would be awful. Touchscreens are awful at movement and camera controls

Kids are into ipads and phones where they play popular trash like Fortnite and Minecraft. They don't get consoles anymore, unless their cool uncle gets them one. A cool uncle like me! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Because the controls would be awful. Touchscreens are awful at movement and camera controls
    You do know that smarpthones have controller support, right? There are even joycon lookalikes if you want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Every teen/kid I know has a switch, shit out of my immediate knowledge only one person a 60 year old man, doesn't have one in their home.

I don't know maybe im just weird but im about to hit 40 years old and i plan to buy a nintendo switch or the next 3ds next generation portaible when it exist

- - - Updated - - -

One of the reasons i can't get into tablets.

The switch seems like the best mobile choice. I supposed a lot of kids are playing games on the phone instead which is cheaper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    You do know that smarpthones have controller support, right? There are even joycon lookalikes if you want it.
    And how many people who play on phones have those? 50%? 10%? I'm guessing sub 1%

There isn't Fortnite for switch...
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    There isn't Fortnite for switch...
    But.. There is..
    https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/fortnite-switch/

And how many people who play on phones have those? 50%? 10%? I'm guessing sub 1%
    If there were more proper games, I'm pretty sure people would rather buy $50 gamepad for the phone they already have than $300 Switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    Most people I have seen irl who own Nintendo consoles are male hipsters in their 20s, middle aged women, and hardcore gamers who like both RPGs and casual games. Very rarely do I see teens or younger children begging their parents for a Nintendo.

Are there more parents who refuse to buy any video games for their children or teens? Has the economic situation of 2008-2020 decreased the number of parents who could afford a gaming console?
    I would venture to say almost every kid at my Daughters HS has a Switch of some sort. Every time I'm there for a function, at a sporting event, or picking her up from rehearsals or practices I see tons of kids playing on Switches.

Funny, most people I know that have a Switch are in their thirties, including me.
    Maybe just anecdotal, maybe connected that their early consoles came out when we were kids, and we still like the nostalgic feeling.