Restarting from sratch

Hi guys!

I would like to restart a Paladin from lvl 1 in duo with my girlfriend that is new to wow. I'm not sure yet what she will be playing but I was wondering what would be the best stat to focus on will leveling? Haste would be good but in the leveling content I think Versatility is better but I'm really not sure! ^^ What do you think?

Any idea of old expension enchant/buff/consumables that could be good to have?

And last question, what class could synergies well with Paladin in 8.3 for leveling up?

I know all this stuff doesn't really make a big difference but I'm the kind of people that like to optimise ^^

Thx!

Stats really won't make any measurable difference while levelling. Just make sure you're equipping mail or plate depending on your level. Knowing the quest zones will make things faster though.

15+ Year Old Account
    If she's new and isn't going to have access to heirlooms, then don't worry about secondary stats. Just equip whatever the best upgrade is that you get as a quest reward, honestly most of the quest rewards are fairly strong now.

If you are both somehow going to be using heirlooms then I suggest going with crit heirlooms, using Elemental Force on your weapon, and mark of the hidden satyr on your neck.

I know haste is meant to increase your HP generating, but I've found over about a half-dozen 1-70 paladins I have leveled and deleted, that crit is better for chain nuking mobs. While leveling you're not so much waiting on HP so much as you're just getting a couple HP generators off before the first mob dies, moving onto the next for a couple more, and then the third mob dies from a TV. By that time your generators are coming off CD and you are repeating the cycle. Crit give you an advantage here because if you're critting more, they are dying faster, meaning you might kill 3-4 before you have enough HP to use TV.

But that's just my take on it.

As for synergy. Any and all classes/specs are going to work well together when leveling in a pair. Seeing as this is her first go at wow, I'd suggest letting her do Class Trials and see how a class is going to play at a high level. Don't choose her class for her, let her find something she can enjoy. If she finds something she really likes, the leveling drudge where she isn't as powerful won't be as harsh because she'll know what's waiting at the end.

None of what you listed really matters for leveling.

Perhaps something that can tank/heal to speed up the quees, but considering she's a new player you won't want to put her trough the dungeon-grind... at least not the 1st time you level characters together... so yeah; just let her choose classes. :P

Overthinking it for starters.

Just go with what you have.

First things first, and then once you're both 120, start looking into more detail, as in optimizing your play, focusing on an area of the game, either pvp or pve etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayd View Post
    I know all this stuff doesn't really make a big difference but I'm the kind of people that like to optimise ^^ Thx!
    Trying to optimize at level 1 is... really weird. Just play and have fun. Worry about optimizing when you get to the stuff where optimizing matters.

And yeah as others have said... let her choose her own class. Trying to decide for her based on which might have synergy with yours seems a bit control freak-ish.

Edit: the more I read over your post, the less I think she's going to enjoy herself.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-03-25 at 02:31 PM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

If you REALLY want to optimize, then look over at WoWhead and compare different enchantments for your Heirlooms. Some enchants scale better early, some better late. Some can only applied up to (or from) a certain level (shoulder enchants from MoP). WoWhead has a slider on the site for enchantments where you can select on which level it is used. I think for flasks the same applies.

Regard which stats you want to use: I feel that direct damage boosing via Attack Power (from old flasks or enchants or Strength form newer ones) is generally superior, since most mobs die in one or two hits anyway. Therefore crit might be overkill, haste might be wasted and versatility is weaker than pure Attack Power. Mastery comes (too) late. Flat damage procs might also be worth looking into, because they often scale better into the early game.

this spreadsheet might help
    Last edited by LordVargK; 2020-03-25 at 02:54 PM.

In retail nothing really matters... quite sad.

In Classic though you can have some very fun together while lvling, and there it does matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    If she's new and isn't going to have access to heirlooms, then don't worry about secondary stats. Just equip whatever the best upgrade is that you get as a quest reward, honestly most of the quest rewards are fairly strong now.

If you are both somehow going to be using heirlooms then I suggest going with crit heirlooms, using Elemental Force on your weapon, and mark of the hidden satyr on your neck.

I know haste is meant to increase your HP generating, but I've found over about a half-dozen 1-70 paladins I have leveled and deleted, that crit is better for chain nuking mobs. While leveling you're not so much waiting on HP so much as you're just getting a couple HP generators off before the first mob dies, moving onto the next for a couple more, and then the third mob dies from a TV. By that time your generators are coming off CD and you are repeating the cycle. Crit give you an advantage here because if you're critting more, they are dying faster, meaning you might kill 3-4 before you have enough HP to use TV.

But that's just my take on it.

As for synergy. Any and all classes/specs are going to work well together when leveling in a pair. Seeing as this is her first go at wow, I'd suggest letting her do Class Trials and see how a class is going to play at a high level. Don't choose her class for her, let her find something she can enjoy. If she finds something she really likes, the leveling drudge where she isn't as powerful won't be as harsh because she'll know what's waiting at the end.
    FWIW, I level casters with haste heirloom and melee with crit heirloom. For me, haste has always benefited casters more, and crit always benifits melee more.