Poll: Would you..

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

A fav Actor/performer/musician does something really bad, do you..

An actor or performer or musician or sports star or anything in that category you like, they've done several roles and performed several things you've enjoyed.

Then you find out today that person had done something terrible, like murder someone, rape someone, abuse someone.

Do you still enjoy the things they made before, ignoring the crime they committed, or do you retroactively cut off all the things you once loved about them?
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Brand New were one of my favourite bands and I feel sick listening to them now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I separate the two. I can appreciate what someone has done from an entertainment PoV while completely neglecting their personal life. I wasn't alive when OJ Simpson was running for 2000 yards and lightning up the NLF, but I can still admire his performance. In no way shape or form do I then believe he was innocent or a good person. I like a lot of movies/shows with Kevin Spacey, doesn't mean I like him as a person.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

No problem whatsoever to separate the two.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Brand New were one of my favourite bands and I feel sick listening to them now.
    Why stop there? Why not hate humans as a whole because humans have done messed up shit? White people enslaved people, they should die. Africans started genocides within their own country numerous times, should they all die?

Don't let the bad apple spoil the bunch.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

I would pass. No point supporting anyone who I dislike for whatever reason. Plenty of other artists out there, who aren't scumbags.

One thing people need to understand, at least in the case of something like Kevin Spacey and House of Cards... he's only one guy on a large cast, and countless other behind the scenes people. He's just high profile.

For any large projects like a TV show or movie, you see 100s of people in the credits and just statistically speaking you probably have bad people in that lot, but they're nobodies so no one cares.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like I just had this dilemma recently, but I can't remember what it was about. All I can think of is that I listened to As I Lay Dying when I was a teen and then their lead singer hired a hitman to kill his wife, but that was a few years after I had grown out of them anyway.

It depends. There are bands whose lyrics i care about, and bands where i don't. If i care about the lyrics, and it is the lyricist that has done something horrible that betrays what they wrote about in their lyrics, then i might feel that there is too much of a disconnect, the message is destroyed, and i simply don't enjoy it anymore. When i don't care about the lyrics, i don't care. Still listen to As I Lay Dying, for example, because i don't care much for their lyrics, but if i did, i probably wouldn't anymore after what Tim did.

This has happened to me with the band lostprophets, but what their singer did was so far up the reprehensible scale that I'd assume most people would never listen to their music again, no matter how much they once liked it.

For murder/rape I'd probably react the same. Abuse is trickier. Someone losing it once and beating their spouse I could potentially overlook. Someone doing it systematically, not so much. Lots of things to take into consideration. Lesser crimes where nobody else is seriously hurt I wouldn't care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    This has happened to me with the band lostprophets, but what their singer did was so far up the reprehensible scale that I'd assume most people would never listen to their music again, no matter how much they once liked it.

For murder/rape I'd probably react the same. Abuse is trickier. Someone losing it once and beating their spouse I could potentially overlook. Someone doing it systematically, not so much. Lots of things to take into consideration. Lesser crimes where nobody else is seriously hurt I wouldn't care about.
    Yeah, the Ian Watkins case is definitely so far up that it really soured their stuff for me. I was never in to them that much, but god damn, the association just won't leave my head.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Why stop there? Why not hate humans as a whole because humans have done messed up shit? White people enslaved people, they should die. Africans started genocides within their own country numerous times, should they all die?

Don't let the bad apple spoil the bunch.
    yeah I'm not listening to to the paedophile signing about being awkward around young women thanks

I prefer to stay blissfully ignorant of anything actors do, positive or negative. Any movie or show is so much better when you can mentally separate the actor from the character, any real life stuff just distracts from the art of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    If you can't separate art from the artist than art ceases to exist, because humans are imperfect and complex creatures.
    That's an insane quote that misunderstands what art is.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no qualms enjoying things made by pieces of shit I hate or disagree with.

Nobuhiro Watsuki is a pedophile piece of shit but I still love and admire his manga.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Some think I won't rewatch House of Cards cuz of what Kevin Spacey did (I always had a pet theory that he was so good at playing assholes because he is one) and I was taking some moral stand.

HAHA, no... I won't rewatch it because it ultimately got royally screwed and all the buildup, was wasted. Why waste my time on that shit then? I can separate the artist from the art just fine. And the art in question should've ended earlier than it did, maybe then we could've had a proper sendoff to it.

Ignore any crimes or things that happened IRL and just enjoy movies, music, etc. that i like.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    If you can't separate art from the artist than art ceases to exist, because humans are imperfect and complex creatures.
    It depends.

Art a lot of the time is an expression of who you are of your view on the world of your feelings and emotions and beliefs. In this case. It is fundamentally impossible to remove the art from the artist.

As a ridiculously on the nose example: Atlas Shrugged. You can't read that book and ignore who Ayn Rand and her politics. It's core to what the book is.
    Last edited by mojojojo202; 2020-03-29 at 10:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Enjoy? yes
    Support and pay? no

Eh. After the shit that came out about Louis C.K. it's kinda hard to enjoy his comedy. Probably because they share a lot in common.