10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    RIP to your area then. Thats so dumb.

Dallas has been a lot better about testing, although it took awhile to get rid of the age requirement for drive throughs. and I still think there's a 250 a day limit.

I'm still scared to go to the grocery store. I have masks but Im always weird about wearing one since it fogs up my glasses.
    Don't forget gloves when going to a store, people coughing or sneezing in their hands and touching stuff what you later pick up and it could be enough to get it. Hence the all wash your hands and don't touch your face guide line going round.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Don't forget gloves when going to a store, people coughing or sneezing in their hands and touching stuff what you later pick up and it could be enough to get it. Hence the all wash your hands and don't touch your face guide line going round.
    yeah I don't have gloves so just gonna have to be vigilant about not touching my face and washing my hands

Remember guys! When you queue for food, you should practise an ideal distance of at least 1.5m from other people! Practice discipline and vigilance! Stop the Spread! Save our nurses!

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    yeah I don't have gloves so just gonna have to be vigilant about not touching my face and washing my hands
    Yeah, it's not that hard.
    Then again could be my ocd regarding my hands, which makes me be careful what I touch and wash my hands way more often than normal anyway. This is really the best times for an ocd like that

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Can't have Corona cases if you never test for them.

I'm not sure what your meme has to do with what I said. Maybe you quoted the wrong person, because confirmed cases means they were tested.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Piglord View Post
    I'm not sure what your meme has to do with what I said. Maybe you quoted the wrong person, because confirmed cases means they were tested.
    Yes, but not everyone is being tested who should, which means the number of ACTUAL cases is probably much higher than the "confirmed".

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Hmm, this raises a few questions:
    1) How dangerous is it after reactivation? Your body should have antibodies, so hopefully not as bad...
    2) Does that mean it went never away for them and they were contagious the whole time?
    3) How many people will have Covid "lingering" somewhere in their body? A lot or just some really rare cases?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    Hmm, this raises a few questions:
    1) How dangerous is it after reactivation? Your body should have antibodies, so hopefully not as bad...
    2) Does that mean it went never away for them and they were contagious the whole time?
    3) How many people will have Covid "lingering" somewhere in their body? A lot or just some really rare cases?
    Not a doctor but

1. Showing symptoms indicates the antibodies haven't worked completely yet. Fever is always a good indication the body is struggling.
    2. It's more than likely the virus lingered. Remember that the incubation period is very long. It can be in the body for at least a week before noticing symptoms. A portion of viral cells may have been destroyed, but not all.
    3. This is purely an educated guess, but I think that if the patient isn't fully stabilised, that means he shows (low) fever, coughing, etc, the virus still lingers.

Fauci: Country should be in 'good shape' to reopen schools in the fall

Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said Tuesday that he thinks the country will be in “good shape” for reopening school by the start of next school year in the fall.

“Bottom line is: No absolute prediction, but I think we're going to be in good shape,” Fauci told a White House news briefing when asked whether he thinks schools will be able to start on time next school year.

Fauci, the government’s top infectious disease expert, noted there is much uncertainty around the situation, but said that by the fall, enough time is likely to have passed to allow schools to reopen.

Schools across the country are currently shut down as part of the efforts to slow the spread of the virus.

Fauci said he expects that “by the time we get to the fall that we will have this under control enough that it certainly will not be the way it is now where people are shutting schools.”

He noted, though, that there will still be some measures that need to be in place to prevent a major resurgence of the virus.

“It's going to be different, remember now, because this is not going to disappear,” he said.

He pointed to more targeted approaches that the country can start to use once the worst is passed, such as widespread testing used to identify infected people and then isolate them and trace the people they have been in contact with.

He also added that by then a new antibody test that can determine whether people have been infected already and are now immune should be widespread, which can help make decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Not a doctor but

1. Showing symptoms indicates the antibodies haven't worked completely yet. Fever is always a good indication the body is struggling.
    2. It's more than likely the virus lingered. Remember that the incubation period is very long. It can be in the body for at least a week before noticing symptoms. A portion of viral cells may have been destroyed, but not all.
    3. This is purely an educated guess, but I think that if the patient isn't fully stabilised, that means he shows (low) fever, coughing, etc, the virus still lingers.
    The article said nothing about them showing symptoms again but if I am not mistaken they do multiple tests after the fact to make sure so that might be why they test positive. There is a theory that those people do have the antibodies but simply become carriers of the virus not showing any symptoms which is scarier to be honest.

- - - Updated - - -

Who wants to take bets that Trump fires him before then?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Trump removes independent watchdog for coronavirus funds, upending oversight panel

He's too busy trying to rob the coffers. The state of affairs in our country is just... it's really bumming me out.
    Last edited by Nachturnal; 2020-04-08 at 12:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    That's probably why he put this statement out now, instead of waiting 'til mid-summer.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    He's too busy trying to rob the coffers.
    If you think Trump can't fire more than one person at once...

I mean, it's the literal tagline from his reality show.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Piglord View Post
    No I got the right person.

You say your county has almost no cases. Its likely that this is purely because they haven't actually tested more people. Aka it looks like the county is free of Corona because no one is being tested for Corona and in reality there are plenty of infected people.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    No I got the right person.

You say your county has almost no cases. Its likely that this is purely because they haven't actually tested more people. Aka it looks like the county is free of Corona because no one is being tested for Corona and in reality there are plenty of infected people.
    You missed my point. The county I live in is pretty low in population. There isn't much that goes on that most people don't know about. Hell, I've known the Sheriff here for almost 40 years. I believe the 2 confirmed cases, because we have less than 10k people that live in the entire county. Plus, we were one of the counties that adopted a mandatory shelter in place order early on. The point of my post was that the two cases we have and the one case in the county next to us are not being reported on any official sources or on any map. I was hinting that there may be the possibility that the official numbers are inaccurate, because they aren't publicizing all confirmed cases.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Latest stats from Australia;

5956 total cases
    2547 recovered
    294 in hospital
    92 in ICU
    32 on respirators
    50 dead

This link has comprehensive stats on what is going on in Australia, including graphs. We are looking remarkable like south Korea here in flattening the growth. It is interesting to note that the highest number of cases are those in their 20s, that 70% of our cases are known to have been contracted overseas and that only 1 death is from those under 60, and that was someone in their 50s.

There is the start of the debate on to what to do next here, either going for complete eradication and then locking down the borders completely until the thing has been dealt with overseas, keeping the current lock down going until a vaccine is in available or a easing of the lockdown and allowing the virus to reach her immunity in a controlled way.

Well it just claimed John Prine.

We will, all of us, eventually become so numb due to the sheer numbers being thrown at us that we're going to, from time to time, forget what we're losing. I hate that it takes the death of a genuine artist to stun me back to reality, but there you have it. There is so much talent and potential being taken away from us by this thing--both famous and unknown--from every facet of every industry that even when this thing is conquered it's going to be a long, long time before we are restored.

Last edited by Benggaul; 2020-04-08 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Well it just claimed John Prine.

We will, all of us, eventually become so numb due to the sheer numbers being thrown at us that we're going to, from time to time, forget what we're losing. I hate that it takes the death of a genuine artist to stun me back to reality, but there you have it. There is so much talent and potential being taken away from us by this thing--both famous and unknown--from every facet of every industry that even when this thing is conquered it's going to be a long, long time before we are restored.

I just saw him in January.

This sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Latest stats from Australia;

5956 total cases
    2547 recovered
    294 in hospital
    92 in ICU
    32 on respirators
    50 dead

This link has comprehensive stats on what is going on in Australia, including graphs. We are looking remarkable like south Korea here in flattening the growth. It is interesting to note that the highest number of cases are those in their 20s, that 70% of our cases are known to have been contracted overseas and that only 1 death is from those under 60, and that was someone in their 50s.

There is the start of the debate on to what to do next here, either going for complete eradication and then locking down the borders completely until the thing has been dealt with overseas, keeping the current lock down going until a vaccine is in available or a easing of the lockdown and allowing the virus to reach her immunity in a controlled way.
    If i were you, i'd aim to do the first one. Complete lockdown on the borders (only letting goods in or out) until a vaccine or an effective treatment occurs.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Update: I just made the weekly shopping trip and there was visibly more bustle in the area. There was still a temperature check at the door to the mall, and nothing new had opened. When I came back, there was still a temperature check at the complex gate. In both cases the formalities were greatly relaxed -- I got new guys at both checks and when they started to get flustered by seeing a foreigner (not a lot of us in the area) senior people stepped in to tell them I'm local and waved me through as soon as my temp checked OK. People are still in masks, but it is allergy season here too. [A pox upon the idiots who planted cottonwood everywhere to have fast growing trees for the Olympics. That hasn't hit yet and I'm already sneezing.]
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.