View Poll Results: Is Covid an offensive name for a Bat?

Voters
111. This poll is closed
  • Yes

43 38.74%
  • No

68 61.26%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shade3891 View Post
    Just go for Corona, can't get offended by a beer right?
    How about Bud Light? Or Guinness?

I could name a few more, but I'll just stop here
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

My wolf has been named buttslut for years. I just never take him out after they did away with pet buffs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterwep View Post
    So this just happened.

My hunter has a Noxious PLAGUE bat from Eastern Plaguelands. (WoW Classic)
    Due to current events I thought it would be funny to name him: Covid.
    In a "roleplaying matter" I also started collecting Spell Damage / Healing Gear to "cure" Covid.
    (Don't worry, I never needed on such items if casters were still after them!)

A few people I grouped with found it hilarious and I had many nice comments and laughs about it.
    Nobody ever whispered me anything negative about it.
    Yet some reported me. Personally I suspect the opposite faction or people at the same farm location.

So by this I want to make a poll to ask what other people think about it.

And share yours if you ever got temporary banned for a ridiculous naming reason.
    Is it offensive to me? No. However, this does appear to be a case of not thinking before acting.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Back in the days the old naming policy was names after diseases were forbidden, same with sexual names, political or religious.

But at some point they changed the naming policy to more vague "inappropriate names".

However if you're playing classic at least that's authentic classic experience for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    good times
    My first offensive pet was a green spider from Stonetalon Mountains. I named her giganticCunt.
    Last edited by froschhure; 2020-04-08 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    Back in the days the old naming policy was names after diseases were forbidden, same with sexual names, political or religious.

But at some point they changed the naming policy to more vague "inappropriate names".
    That is the thing, I did some quick research to it before, but couldn't find anything clear about it.
    Back in 2005 my friend got banned because he named his pink plainstrider: "Flamingay" (Looks like a flamingo+it being pink)
    And since Covid is not Politics, hate speech, sexual, racism or discrimination against a group of people, I thought it was a go.
    Edit: (Also not a brand name or famous person)

I mean the bat itself is a PLAGUE bat from Easter Plaguelands, but I can't name it Covid...
    Last edited by Hunterwep; 2020-04-08 at 10:37 AM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    So this just happened.

In a "roleplaying matter" I also started collecting Spell Damage / Healing Gear to "cure" Covid.

A few people I grouped with found it hilarious and I had many nice comments and laughs about it.
    Yet some reported me. Personally I suspect the opposite faction or people at the same farm location.

And share yours if you ever got temporary banned for a ridiculous naming reason.
    offensive? no. tasteless? yeah it's definitely in poor taste considering people have died from it

10+ Year Old Account
    Reminds of a friend who had a character named Isis (after the Egyptian goddess).

And then ISIS happened and he was forced to change it

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    That is the thing, I did some quick research to it before, but couldn't find anything clear about it.
    Back in 2005 my friend got banned because he named his pink plainstrider: "Flamingay" (Looks like a flamingo+it being pink)
    And since Covid is not Politics, hate speech, sexual, racism or discrimination against a group of people, I thought it was a go.

I mean the bat itself is a PLAGUE bat from Easter Plaguelands, but I can't name it Covid...
    I mean yeah most Plagues happened hundreds of years ago so it's kinda hard for anyone to be personally affected by it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Reminds of a friend who had a character named Isis (after the Egyptian goddess).

And then ISIS happened and he was forced to change it
    oh god yeah I remember hearing about people named Isis really copping it

I named my pet moose...Knuckle.

Eh, Blizzard added all Corona and COVID related words into profanity filter on Chinese clients.

Gotta appease The Pooh.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
    . Btw, in pre-BC WoW, you would get reported and banned for saying even "fuck".

Hahahaha... No

Been thinking of naming my Unholy DK Covid or similar as well.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

How about... ignore it and not caring about other players?
    Some people think it is funny while for others it can be offensive.
    Personally i do not give a fk.

10+ Year Old Account
    So this just happened.

So you thought it would be "funny" to name your pet after a virus that's killing thousands of people, and now you're whining that people reported you for it.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
    I named my rogue Serialsapist and of course everyone got flustered about it.

People can't take a fucking joke, welcome to the "outraged on twitter" generation.

Back in the 90s and 2000s no one gave a fuck, the Internet was nothing like it is today. You literally can't use regular cuss words on some FPS servers anymore, it's ridiculous. Btw, in pre-BC WoW, you would get reported and banned for saying even "fuck".
    Rape is never fun topic to joke about, grow up and get on with the times. And saying shit like "you can't say anything anymore without people getting offended" makes you sound like a bitter manflake incel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    I named my ape pet "obama" and got a temp suspension in game no joke. I was livid people were offended at a pet name
    I don't know which is worse: that you're surprised you got banned for naming an ape after a black person, or that you're apparently ignorant enough to the implications of that to be 'livid' about it.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lubefist View Post
    Rape is never fun topic to joke about, grow up and get on with the times. And saying shit like "you can't say anything anymore without people getting offended" makes you sound like a bitter manflake incel.
    Anything can be joked about, the key is to not make it personal and actually be a joke about the topic instead of the individual.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

In most cases is doens't have to be offensive, just reported, right? Correct me if I'm wrong!

And that's the thing, only reports count. The name can't get upvotes to show how many approve of it, only downvotes. This would not work but you get the point, there's no counterweight to the report system.

"Covid" in it self sounds kinda cute, it has a soft tone to it. However, if I had someone close that died to Covid-19, such a name would spark sadness and I'd probably be very discusted by it. On a logical plane I'd understand and I would be okay with it, but on an emotional plane it's not okay. I might not report but I can understand why people would and I think it's fine how it is when playing a game where we come across thousands of people. Some will be offended and we other should be okay and adjust. The problem is when someone isn't offended in the slightest and only want to greif the other person. This is always the case though so why not just adjust and move on?

They gain no money or advantage from it so why waste time on it.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Anything can be joked about, the key is to not make it personal and actually be a joke about the topic instead of the individual.
    As a someone who's gone through years of therapy and have bad case of PTSD among other issues due to sexual abuse I can tell you that it's not fucking fine to joke about some things. If person X's need to joke about some issue surpasses his empathy and potential triggering and hurting someone, then he's a complete cunt as a person plain and simple.