Zul'Gurub Boss Strategies, Raid Comps, Questions, and Bugs

This short guide is just a reminder about some of the things the raid comp needs to have.

I am going to be raiding with players that haven't stepped foot in MC, so I might actually have to do the mechanics and such.

I'm sure this has errors in the first version, feel free to point them out.

Pre-raid checklist:

--2 Tanks, plus another 1-2 for Thekal (1 mini-boss gouges his tank, other heals)

--Min 3 Heals, I'm not sure which fight is worst on healing but I'm guessing it's either Hakkar, Jin'Do, or Mandokir
    ----Ability to cleanse poisons for one boss...I think it's Mar'li (spider)
    ----Magic dispels for Jek'lik

--AoE DPS for the spider adds, panther adds, tiger adds, skeleton adds? (jin'do)

--Ranged? DPS for bat adds on Jek'lik

--Melee DPS for interrupts on Jek'lik, Mar'li, Thekal add, etc.

--DPS...IIRC Bloodlord Mandokir, Hakkar, and maybe Jin'do require the most

--A way to control the mind-controlled tank on Hakkar (aka polymorph)

Nice to have:
    --Bear tank can't be hexed by Jin'Do
    --Hunters maybe for grabbing Blood Serpents on Hakkar
    --Tremor Totem/Fear Ward for Jin'Do
    --Addon that tells you what coins are for who
    --Underwater breathing for Gahz'ranka
    --Mana burns for Hazza'rah if he's up

And the normal stuff:
    --Pally/shaman buffs
    --Repair Bot
    --Mana Pots, Healing Pots, Consumables

--Loot rules for new items:

----Heart of Hakkar
    ----Bloodvine
    ----Coins
    ----Bijous
    ----Epic Rep Items
    ----Zulian Slicer (+10 skinning)
    ----Edge of Madness Item
    ----Tiger Mount
    ----Raptor Mount
    ----Tome of Polymorph: Turtle
    ----Loot priority on ring sets, does someone with 1 get priority?

If you want optional bosses:
    Edge of Madness:
    --To summon: 6 powerful mojo, 1 massive mojo, 1 black lotus, 1 Blood of Heroes

Gahz'ranka:
    --Fishing skill, have to run to Nat Pagle in Dustwallow then fish up mudskunk lures

Abilities:
    Jek'lik (Bat):
    Silence in melee
    Cleave
    Adds
    Shadow Word: Pain
    Greater Heal
    Mind Flay
    Charge to 1 nearby opponent + threat wipe

Venoxis (snake):
    Don't clump up on him or Chain Lightning will wipe the raid
    Holy Nova in melee
    Poison Clouds, constant kiting

Mar'li (spider):
    Poison
    Drain Life
    Spider Adds
    Aggro Wipe

Mando'kir
    OT for raptor
    Killing raptor enrages Mando'kir, many just focus him
    Gaze, hit escape don't move or cast
    Charge + aggro wipe
    Cleave
    Whirlwind
    AoE Fear
    Ghosts Rez Players and buff Mando'kir

Edge of Madness:

Most of the 4 possible bosses are very easy
    Wushoolay: spread out
    Hazza'rah: AoE mana burns raid until he is OOM, can be mana burned
    Gri'lek: Tank and spank
    Renataaki: Vanish/Ambush

Thekal (THE TIGER KING):

2 minibosses
    All must die together
    Zatu will gouge/blind his tank
    Lor'kahn can cast heal, can be tanked far outside

Gahz'ranka (hydra):
    Fight in water so knockback does nothing
    Underwater breathing

Arlokk (Panther):

Gouge (so 2 tanks)
    Vanishes, ignore panther adds while un-stealthed
    Marked player kites
    Ravages out of stealth

Jin'Do:
    Mind Control Totem
    Healing Totem
    Teleports players to pit
    Hexes main tank
    Shades of Jin'Do, only players with curse can kill them

Hakkar:
    Untauntable
    Have to get poisoned blood from son of hakkar just before Blood Siphon or else he heals
    Corrupted Blood debuff
    Mind Controls tank, use rank 1 polymorph
    Enrages

Questions:
    What levels of DPS are required?
    How many heals for various fights?

From the other post I do know he can be 16-manned by players that can crush BWL in 90 minutes.

Bugs:
    TBA
    Last edited by garicasha; 2020-04-09 at 02:18 AM.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

The only one question to clarify - does edge of madness alchemy potion never expire? Black lotus is expensive.

15+ Year Old Account
    Kudos for the effort for the few new ones, but will be a snooze fest. A few mongos will get feared by Trumps evil genius and pull a bunch for x-tra adds and cause a wipe but overall it will be 35-40mins of hoping for a mount.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

yeah its gunna get stomped in t2, I remember doing it back in the day and everyone was fully blue geared and noobs and we didn't wipe on the first bunch of bosses, think we even 12 manned venoxis in one of the first few runs. I remember it being challenging not really knowing what was going to happen on each boss but we cleared the place in dungeon blues without setting foot in MC.

this time its gunna get crushed. I think with the blue gear it made it a little harder in terms of endurance and just not having that gear buffer. this time I think most ppl out gear a lot of it.

it'll be something to run though, enchants are nice to get, i wouldn't mind the shield from hakkar it looks cooler than the drillborer. also the instance has some thorium nodes iirc so another way of getting arcane crystals, that I can't be bothered to farm.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2020-04-11 at 04:30 PM.

I suspect this will be UBRS style farm within a week

It was fun and there's a lot of spell hit stuff in there. Was almost disappointed it wasn't a little harder...although Arlokk is a huge jump up from the first 3-4.

Only saw a real minor bug on a trash troll on Hakkar's platform...a blood priest was healing like crazy, unless we didn't understand the mechanics. But it wasn't a blood drinker...a blood priest pretty sure.
    Last edited by garicasha; 2020-04-16 at 07:14 AM.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Here's an alternate strategy.
    Be 60.
    ROFL stomp the place in 40 mins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    yeah its gunna get stomped in t2, I remember doing it back in the day and everyone was fully blue geared
    Everyone? Release schedule is on par with vanilla and BWL was clearedup to Nefarian in 1 day in vanilla so yeah ZG was catch up raid like its now.

Quote Originally Posted by mmocfd1b0ab5a3 View Post
    Everyone? Release schedule is on par with vanilla and BWL was clearedup to Nefarian in 1 day in vanilla so yeah ZG was catch up raid like its now.
    everyone in my guild was, we didn't do mc first we did zg first, sorry if you find that confusing. when i started raiding it was with 19 other ppl who also were just starting to raid, no one had done molten core, not one person in my guild because we didn't have 40 ppl at that point.

also i didn't say it wasn't catch up, not sure what you're trying to insinuate.

I actually have a little bit of video from 2006, from my second zg raid (i have the fang of venoxis so it wasn't the first run)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZoFEC6XSqI (its potato quality but that entire video was 35mb including the sound i tried to strip out of it but youtube's video editing tools don't simply have a mute option) not many ppl i think had a pc that could play the game and record at a decent frame rate / resolution without tanking the fps, I thought i'd lost these clips but they were more of a test than anything, ultimately i didn't bother recording that much because it just made the game laggier. and after compiling they just looked shit like this. so it didn't feel worth doing.

most ppl using class sets, i'm using full devout mostly, interesting time, frame rate was shit, i didn't setup any keybinds i was using the only healing addon I could find, benecast it was called, i still have auto attack on 1. as a healer. the difference is night and day compared to now. warlocks mana draining the bosses. everyone took their time a lot more and were wayyy more hesitant about pulling aggro. these days its a 60fps zerg. the opposite to what it was originally.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2020-04-16 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bontchimuz View Post
    I suspect this will be UBRS style farm within a week
    Try an hour lul