Poll: Which spec do you personally enjoy more during Wquests, Visions and dungeons?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What’s currently the most fun frost or unholy? (Subjective opinions ofc)

Hey, just wondering which of the 2 speccs you are enjoying more atm.

I’ve been afk for a few weeks but was mostly doing World quests, Visions and M+, So what’s the most fun in raids is not the prority, But mostly which one is more fun in visions and Wquests

Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    I havent played death-knight this expansion more than just a few quests between 110-120.
    But seeing Fragnance do 3 million dps in MDI made me curious to try unholy in m+.
    Don't judge Unholy based on MDI. Unholy's AoE DPS scales exponentially with the number of targets, making it a great pick for many dungeons in the MDI since they pull massive. In regular M+ on live servers, you won't be pulling this large, so Unholy's damage really isn't that insane. Unholy AoE is still good, of course, but you'll find that they do similar or slightly less AoE DPS to meta specs like Outlaw and Havoc.

To the OP, fun is purely subjective. Objectively, Frost and Unholy have a similar cadence to their rotation - great and engaging burst rotations, but rather boring steady DPS. You'll find that you have empty GCDs with both specs, and personally, I find that boring. I do find Unholy more fun because the rotation requires more finesse, tracking, and planning.

If you enjoy breath of sindragosa frost will be more fun. If you don't enjoy it like I don't unholy will be more fun.

Right now for me, unholy. Its kind of slow to get things going, but I take that over frost and bos.

Frost is ok, if I ignore optimal meta build and forget about bos. In fact, I'd prefer frost, if bos didn't exist.

I have been a Frost main since Cata but they just completely massacred that spec in Legion and BfA. UH at least as some fun stuff left. DKs as a whole feel kinda bad though. I remember dueling Rogues at the start of BfA and having to kite them like I was some kind of cloth wearing caster. Lack of blood presence really hurt the class fantasy of DKs.
    Last edited by Nerovar; 2020-04-19 at 03:48 PM.

I main UH and I feel that it is a pretty fun but forgiving spec.

Questing favours Frost (burst v ramp)
    M+ favours unholy because of the aoe triple dipping.

Fun means different things to different people. I prefer unholy because there are actual layers to the spec and it has some measure of skill expression beyond 'press the lit up button' and you can fuck it up, thematically unholy (finally) leans into the 'fantasy' of minion summoning and plague spreading.
    As for frost, if you don't enjoy BoS you might as well play any other spec it's the most basic builder/spender in the game.

I enjoy both specs for different reasons ( Frost 1-handers has been a drag though) but in the end I prefer the fantasy and gameplay of Unholy.

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Hey, just wondering which of the 2 speccs you are enjoying more atm.

I’ve been afk for a few weeks but was mostly doing World quests, Visions and M+, So what’s the most fun in raids is not the prority, But mostly which one is more fun in visions and Wquests
    I been bouncing between them while leveling. While frost feels good with big aoe packs it tends to get boring more quickly than unholy..oddly enough; at least that's my take-away

Frost for me Love the theme of the icy winter of Northrend and it plays nicely.

New main for Shadowlands as well!

2H Frost obliteration > Unholy >>> 1H Frost BoS

I honestly can't build a character that I'm interested in playing that fits unholy's aesthetic and concept. I just... I hate "gooey undead."

On top of that, unholy feels less... rythmic when it comes to gameplay. Frost boils down to 3-4 buttons, which is a big plus for me. Unholy feels more all over the place, juggling DoTs and/or effects on target awkwardly.

With frost going 2-handed, I will literally not have a use for unholy, which was my "one gear set, two specs" DPS spec for when I wanted tank gear but didn't want to tank in a queued difficulty with PUGs. Loot spec FTW.
    Last edited by Omedon; 2020-04-20 at 03:07 AM.

i prefer unholy personally, because overall i find rotations that either build-and-spend or (for lack of a better term) "setup and execute" more fun than hitting a couple random buttons that have almost nothing to do with each other and then waiting for procs.

of course, this is varied depending gear and such, for example unholy feels almost unplayable if you're at under 15% haste. but if you're talking about a moderately higher gear level (say 445+) i definitely prefer unholy.

Frost by far. Granted my Frost DK isn't 120 yet and doesn't have Breath of Sindragosa, I don't like Unholy, at all. Dot classes are boring, especially if it's melee dot. That's why I wish Blizzard would turn Unholy into a full blown Necromancer spec.

I want to play Frost, but I feel forced to play Unholy sometimes because of how favorably it scales for AoE. It's not like a group is going to call me out on it nowadays, though. I don't actually feel pressured to switch in any meaningful way, it's more like I'm just creating anxiety for myself. I ignore it when I feel like it - which is a lot of the time. In the one specific situation where people are exceptionally under-geared for what we're doing it's a little reassuring that I can switch before the run starts to increase the likelihood that the group will succeed.

It's just a little sad that it feels like Unholy is just strictly better at AoE because of the scaling nonsense and that Frost doesn't really have an area it's necessarily better at in any way that really matters as obvious to the group's success in the way that Unholy AoE scaling in Mythic+ is. I'm kind of a little happy that Frost will have a target cap with Frostscythe because it means it may be stronger in smaller AoE packs, and then Unholy can really shine in larger pulls so that way both can feel good in their own areas and I'll be less anxious for those times when I do have to switch to Unholy.

been frost since wrath, i like the speed of it, uh always felt very slow to me, i really do miss the blood dps spec from the early wrath days.

Frost has lots more things going on for it compared to unholy. Recently switched and I like that reactionary gameplay over unholy. I do not understand why people dislike BoS. Could be that I don't understand frost enough atm since I'm fairly new. Leveled one with the XP buff and only played 1-2 weeks as frost atm.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

I'm not a huge fan of BoS, but I think that Frost DK lacks mechanics without it. I'm fine with them removing BoS but I think they need to replace it with something else then. Otherwise Frost is just a spam of Obliterate and Frost Strike with the occasional HB proc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Frost by far. Granted my Frost DK isn't 120 yet and doesn't have Breath of Sindragosa, I don't like Unholy, at all. Dot classes are boring, especially if it's melee dot. That's why I wish Blizzard would turn Unholy into a full blown Necromancer spec.
    Unholy hasn't been a dot spec since arguably snapshotting was removed in mop and in BFA, it has the same level of dot management as frost and blood (and the same number of dots for that matter).
    Right now the entire spec is about wound management and summoning you ghouls with AotD, apoc and skelliebro (and garg is returning in shadowlands), doesn't get much more necromancer then that.

If I could have Unholy's play style with Frost's themes, I'd be very glad. But right now, Unholy is the way to go for me, even though I wish I was Frost.