Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    You could try to think about it and try to answer the question, you just don't want to.
    Oh I have. And I have thought about it longer than you may have been alive in this world. But for sure, no one on this earth in a mortal body has all the correct answers. We are limited in our knowledge and that limitation is in some cases, on purpose. Or limited by our desires to know more is one way to put it.

I think rayvio answered it very well indeed.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Oh I have. And I have thought about it longer than you may have been alive in this world. But for sure, no one on this earth in a mortal body has all the correct answers. We are limited in our knowledge and that limitation is in some cases, on purpose. Or limited by our desires to know more is one way to put it.

I think rayvio answered it very well indeed.
    It's true that i'm only a mid-range Millenial. It was folly of me to question your Boomer knowledge. I was just trying to absorb some of the wisdom locked inside that head of yours.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-04-20 at 03:25 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    It's true that i'm only a mid-range Millenial. It was folly of me to question your Boomer knowledge. Was just trying to absorb some of that wisdom locked inside your head.
    Lol! Respect your elders!! J/k. I try to respect everyone. I was simply saying, it is not a subject I have only thought about for a few years even. Decades would be the more correct answer. But honestly, rayvio, said it in a short, yet what is so true. No need actually to say it any better. We get out of life basically what we put into it.

This is not always true however, as tragic shit happens and some people suffer for no apparent logical reasons. But if you feel life is pointless and then do whatever the hell you want to do, then the results will be what you acted on.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    If life doesn't give you a meaning, define your own meaning and purpose. Set your own goals and expectations for yourself to meet and excel at. Decide what is important to you.

Or just fall into nihilism and do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    If life doesn't give you a meaning, define your own meaning and purpose. Set your own goals and expectations for yourself to meet and excel at. Decide what is important to you.
    That is what Blizzard said during the WoW's no content year.
    Every week, Blizzard suggests people to run one of the old outdated raid, such as Black Temple.

Blizzard is doing nothing and try to collect $15 a month.
    Sad.

Life is pointless; life on Earth is insignificant to the Universe, which is why I laugh at animal rights activists, environmentalists and protesters because nothing actually matters. Some people might call it a Nihilisitic view, but it's not wrong. All you have to do is think of the vastness of the Universe - and there could be trillions of other universes we cannot see or measure. It is a humbling experience to do research into how big the known universe actually is, makes you realize even more how ridiculous beliefs in chosenness and being special are.

There are too many Nihilisitic people.

They do nothing themselve (such as Blizzard), but tell other people to keep busy (such as grinding reputation).

Look, it is double XP and rep, go play some more !

Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    Life is pointless; life on Earth is insignificant to the Universe, which is why I laugh at animal rights activists, environmentalists and protesters because nothing actually matters. Some people might call it a Nihilisitic view, but it's not wrong. All you have to do is think of the vastness of the Universe - and there could be trillions of other universes we cannot see or measure. It is a humbling experience to do research into how big the known universe actually is, makes you realize even more how ridiculous beliefs in chosenness and being special are.
    I think most of us here agree that there is no transcendent purpose to our lives, but so what? We seem to prefer life to death, pleasure to pain, and we seem to be loving life enough to fear growing old, weak and die.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    I think most of us here agree that there is no transcendent purpose to our lives, but so what? We seem to prefer life to death, pleasure to pain, and we seem to be loving life enough to fear growing old, weak and die.
    The trouble is most people don't see that life is pointless but choose to believe things that make them feel good and lessen their fear of death. I do agree with your second sentence though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    The trouble is most people don't see that life is pointless but choose to believe things that make them feel good and lessen their fear of death. I do agree with your second sentence though.
    Why exactly is that trouble? At a guess, they're happier than those drowning in self pity and doing nothing but watching cat videos all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Why exactly is that trouble? At a guess, they're happier than those drowning in self pity and doing nothing but watching cat videos all day.
    You cannot avoid religion, if you truly want to know the meaning of life.
    But many web forums are forbidden to talk about religion. Why is that?

Because it is trouble !

10+ Year Old Account
    humanity won't end and I think it's rather silly to assume that our "final" form won't be able to very easily escape the heat death of the universe
    in my view related to this optimist = strong
    pessimist = weak

don't be weak

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    You cannot avoid religion, if you truly want to know the meaning of life.
    But many web forums are forbidden to talk about religion. Why is that?

Because it is trouble !
    This applies to people like you but i doubt you'll understand this:

“But the attitude of faith is to let go, and become open to truth, whatever it might turn out to be.”

“To have faith is to trust yourself to the water. When you swim you don’t grab hold of the water, because if you do you will sink and drown. Instead you relax, and float.”

“And the attitude of faith is the very opposite of clinging to belief, of holding on.”

“In other words, a person who is fanatic in matters of religion, and clings to certain ideas about the nature of God and the universe, becomes a person who has no faith at all.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    humanity won't end and I think it's rather silly to assume that our "final" form won't be able to very easily escape the heat death of the universe
    in my view related to this optimist = strong
    pessimist = weak

don't be weak
    The biggest problem is that only Earth has life on it.
    The Universe is so big, but where is other civilization?
    The answer is very pessimistic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    This applies to people like you but i doubt you'll understand this:

“But the attitude of faith is to let go, and become open to truth, whatever it might turn out to be.”

“To have faith is to trust yourself to the water. When you swim you don’t grab hold of the water, because if you do you will sink and drown. Instead you relax, and float.”

“And the attitude of faith is the very opposite of clinging to belief, of holding on.”

“In other words, a person who is fanatic in matters of religion, and clings to certain ideas about the nature of God and the universe, becomes a person who has no faith at all.”
    Ohhh I love that last line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Ohhh I love that last line.
    It's from Alan Watts, you can easily fill your afternoon with philosophical insights from him if you wish. Most sessions are audio recording and easy to find on youtube.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    It's from Alan Watts, you can easily fill your afternoon with philosophical insights from him if you wish. Most sessions are audio recording and easy to find on youtube.
    Popularized Buddhism and other eastern philosophies...

Well, I already have Stoicism for that sort of message & guidance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

So create your own purpose.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    The biggest problem is that only Earth has life on it.
    The Universe is so big, but where is other civilization?
    The answer is very pessimistic.
    We don't know that only Earth has life on it.

Furthermore, life is a chemical process built up from common organic molecules found throughout space and not just on earth (at least, primitive forms that aren't synthesized through biological functions.) You can find amino acids, nucleotides, and fatty acids all over the place. Life on earth also kick started within 500 million years of Earth's formation which, in cosmological terms, isn't a long time.

So, with approximately 10^22 stars in the universe, most of which have planets, the odds that a few of those planets are in the right condition for life to form would be low, but because there are so many stars, there should be many planets with life out there. But because the universe is so huge and spread out, the odds of finding such a planet is not in our favor. And on top of that, our ability to find exoplanets is limited, and we lack the resolution to be able to see if other planets out side our solar system harbor life as of right now.
    Putin khuliyo

Yes, it is pointless in so far that no-thing has a directive assigned to it from the mountaintop. So to speak.

Ultimately, what we say and do as individuals hardly matter to the universe. For one, our species is too small and efforts too feeble compared to the universe itself. Both in scope and time.

However, as a thing with conscious thought, we can assign value to the only existence possible to know anything about personally; living as a thinking animal. In the sense of our biological and physiological selves, we exist to exist and nothing more. The purpose of 'you' as a biological engine is to make more humans essentially.

As humans, we often live in societies that form culture and traditions (behaviors) as to how we live to fulfill our biological necessity. Culture is a complex thing, but basically it allows us as a single and collective entity to define the personal and shared value relative to other things. Usually arranged in varying types of systems the byproduct of the human mind/understanding.

There is no external or extrinsic point to life.

Defining the value and purpose of one's own life outside biology is THE ONLY point of living as a human being that we know of and likely will know.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2020-04-20 at 06:37 PM.