Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Arthas' story is over

They should focus on the DKs we actually have right now, like Bolvar, Sally, Nazgrim, Thoras, Koltira, Thassarian, Darion instead of using Shadowlands to try and milk Arthas' large fanbase. I have doubts they'll do that though.
    change can't wait.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    lol, who cares if they use Arthas one last time

They were happy to bait nostalgia sub money with Illidan after wod. They're sure as shit going to do it after BFA (they already are with the unpruning, Kael, KT and LV).

Also, I'm not sure Arthas' story is the ebon blade's story, they only ever wanted to kill him (and the list of people lining up to do that wasn't short). I'm going to assume the ebon blade's interest in SL will be related to some dark terrible secret bolvar knows.

It ain't over til the dead lady sings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    It ain't over til the dead lady sings.
    Game over, man. Game over

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vipers View Post
    Game over, man. Game over
    #winning

(mmo champs really needs an emote reaction system added to posts)

To be honest, i would like him to become a main protagonist, redeeming himself for what he did...

It would be epic

Quote Originally Posted by Magicon View Post
    lol, who cares if they use Arthas one last time
    It ruins his arch. He's dead, it's over and he had his tragic story. The same reason why shit like Picard sucks.

Modern audiences just clap when they recognize someone or something and cheer though, so thats why storytelling sucks nowadays in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I feel pretty confident we're going to be seeing Arthas again in Shadowlands, regardless of anyone's feelings about it.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

same how Illidan's was over but yet here we are.

it's another Break in case of emergency situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    They had no prior build-up and instead tried to leech off of already established things people are familiar with. The Scourge? Maldraxxus did that. The Lich King? The Jailer did that. Frostmourne? The Runecarver made that. Sargeras corruption by demons and everything resulting from that? Also the Jailer's plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I feel pretty confident we're going to be seeing Arthas again in Shadowlands, regardless of anyone's feelings about it.
    I still maintain that he should be at our side when we confront Sylvanas. In a "I made you what you are, it is my responsibility to end you"-way. If anyone other then ourselves gets to kill the Banshee I hope it is him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    I still maintain that he should be at our side when we confront Sylvanas. In a "I made you what you are, it is my responsibility to end you"-way. If anyone other then ourselves gets to kill the Banshee I hope it is him.
    I'm still hoping for a Bolvar vs. Sylvanas rematch with a different ending, myself. Though I wouldn't be at all upset if we got an Arthas vs. Sylvanas showdown either.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    As much as I disliked the ending in WoTLK, it would totally diminish his story (as bad as it was) for him to be brought back, redeemed, or play any major roll in Shadowlands. If it's in the form of a retrospective or dealings in the past, I think that might be pretty cool, but anything else would be dumb in my opinion. His story wasn't complete dumpster fire, and it's probably best to just leave it at that.

Realistically it would be intelligent of Blizzard to mention his name from a marketing perspective if they were going to use him, yet not a single mention of him yet. This basically points to him not being used, or it's going to be something they hold closely and unleash later (which again, marketing wise doesn't make sense for hyping an expansion). With the Gul'dan Legion teaser trailer, you knew exactly what Gul'dan was doing at the end and despite not seeing Illidan until Nightholds conclusion, you basically knew it was coming.

I'd argue that Illidan sort of needed a second go because TBC had virtually zero story concerning him until they explained to us what he was doing 10 years later through a bunch of retcons. His story sucked way more than the ending of WoTLK (not that the end of Legion, or Illidans' redemption was that great either lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I would assume they would have already said this with a very loud voice if he would be in this xpack.
    The 3 dh spec is increíble.

I don't think he will have a large part of the expansion.
    We won't be seeing him at the start I think, but after exploring the Maw, and in perhaps 9.1 or 9.2 or something, we will find a deep part of the Maw where the remants of his soul resides.

Not much however will probably be done with it, as I don't think that he will get a "redemption" story as the one Illidan had. I think that the area where we find him will make it impossible to extract him, and he will be bound forever in the darkest pits of the Maw, suffering forever...or at least until his spirit dies completely. Something along those lines.

I just really don't want them to bring him up, give him a lot of attention, and basically give him the same role of Illidan as the Jailer of...the...Jailer. Or something. I want his presence to be minimal, but enough of it to satisfy the giant Arthas fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by shuubu View Post
    I would assume they would have already said this with a very loud voice if he would be in this xpack.
    Unless they want it to be a surprise.

He doesn't deserve a redemption arc. As an external viewer we know his story is tragic and that Frostmourne gave him no choice in his actions, but our characters and the NPCs dont see him that way. Mostly we all view him as a traitor and a complete monster and trying to redeem him would be very counter to all of that. I mean he is responsible for devastating Lordaeron and Quel'thalas killing thousands of innocents and raising them as abominations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    They were happy to bait nostalgia sub money with Illidan after wod. They're sure as shit going to do it after BFA (they already are with the unpruning, Kael, KT and LV).

Also, I'm not sure Arthas' story is the ebon blade's story, they only ever wanted to kill him (and the list of people lining up to do that wasn't short). I'm going to assume the ebon blade's interest in SL will be related to some dark terrible secret bolvar knows.
    The Illidan nostalgia bait or whatever you wanna call it is totally different than if they bring Arthas back now.

In fact I remember in Blizzcon 2010 or 2011 (I can't remember which one but it was one of these years) Chris Metzen said something and teased about Illidan redemption story and how it was a total mistake to kill him at TBC expansion because the storytelling back then was bad and one of the main reasons Illidan existed in that expansion just to hype the players because it was the first official expansion after classic WoW. So yeah bringing Illidan in Legion was forshadowed since 2010/2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    The Illidan nostalgia bait or whatever you wanna call it is totally different than if they bring Arthas back now.
    I think most people agree that killing illidan was a mistake and lorewise TBC was a shitshow and I'm sure there was some idea floating around blizzard to bring him back for a while. That doesn't mean they didn't bringing illidan back wasn't at least in part motivated by money.

Besides the conceit of shadowlands is its the afterlife, so they can 'bring him back' for some easy nostalgia subs without having to return him to life or to have him stick around.