Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Pathfinder is fine.
    This thread was solved by the sixth reply on the first page. Every post since this one is a complete waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Well...technically they changed it the first time in TBC by INTRODUCING flying. So just for argument sake I'd say the game was FINE without flying...why change that? But ok...now we have it in the game and they changed it again in Cata by being able to fly from the start. Could argue already re-earning flying in WotLK was BS and we should have been able to fly from the start, because we earned it at lv 70 TBC.

And yeah..couldn't fly in Azeroth, but everybody swallowed the excuse (well...maybe it was the actual truth) that you can't fly, because the world wasn't build to fly. (But was it true? I mean, we could take flightpaths without problem and I never saw holes in the ground there, right?)

Was there no reason to change it? People and Blizzard have given reasons (stay subbed longer or immersion, pick the one that fits your cynical level). I guess they are just reasons you don't accept.
    people say like it "worked fine before pathfinder" and never actualy realise pathfinder is ingame longer than any other system
    1. vanila - no flying
    2. tbc - flying at cap
    3. wotlk - flying before cap
    4. cata - flying since begining
    5. pandaria - im not sure if i remember correctly but i believe you could fly since cap
    6. WOD, Legion, BFA - pathfinder

The only thing I don't like about Pathfinder, is that it's artificially gated to a later patch.

Pandaria also had the Grimoire of 4 winds which allowed you to fly at lv 85 (but I don't think it worked at lv 85 during MoP)

All in all I think the biggest gripe is the long time it keeps us grounded, even if we have completed part 1 and you know they will tack part 2 on top of it.
    that i could get behind, i have more of an issue with people who think they should just get it for nothing...
    or with people that only want to do instanced content but they HAVE TO farm rep for flying ...which is useless for them

i think moving flying to sooner patch would be reasonable if criteria remained the same (heck they could even make them worse, gate it behind work rather than time) but it would just make some people whine more about criteria and if they just put it behind cap they would whine they have to level to cap, or farm gold etc...

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    They tried that in TBC. It failed massively.
    That's some 13 years ago, much have happen. New tech, new systems, new players. I'm 100% sure they could make a great world designed around flying if they wanted.
    Oh yeah...the world from above is spectacular. Love it. But build the world with flying in mind? I fear in that case, Blizzard will add just more quests in caves, underground or under water. Yikes....in that case I rather ride, than be underground and walk and swim
    Just landing makes you vunerable. Players could dismount you, mobs could trap you, the terrain could wreck you. You could've fortresses with archers daring you to fly close enough. Maybe it would be easier by foot? Maybe it's worth the risk of falling to your death by flying?

They could add fatigue and HP to mounts, or add some other systems.

I hate not being able to fly but I'd be one of the first to say that flying, as in game currently, is overpowered and should be reworked. The world would be much better if done correctly, more thriving, more interesting. How? I don't know but I could come up with many ideas and Blizzard have very competent staff members so it should be no problem for them to make something grand.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    The only thing I don't like about Pathfinder, is that it's artificially gated to a later patch.
    You play artificial game if you didnt notice. Its like saying Blizzard is artificialy gating us from mythic hear by not allowing me to buy it for 50 gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    You play artificial game if you didnt notice.
    WooOoooAaaAAhhhHhhh!

Go play with semantics elsewhere.

It's very simple indeed. Flying is in the game and should be available after the story quest line is complete though the initial released patch. Anything beyond that is artificial inconvenience that doesn't help anyone or any part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephire View Post
    That's some 13 years ago, much have happen. New tech, new systems, new players. I'm 100% sure they could make a great world designed around flying if they wanted.

Just landing makes you vunerable. Players could dismount you, mobs could trap you, the terrain could wreck you. You could've fortresses with archers daring you to fly close enough. Maybe it would be easier by foot? Maybe it's worth the risk of falling to your death by flying?
    They tried those things. The players revolted and I guarantee the outcry over that if they tried again would be even worse. It has already been shown that players will not accept anything that interferes with their free flying.

They tried those things. The players revolted and I guarantee the outcry over that if they tried again would be even worse. It has already been shown that players will not accept anything that interferes with their free flying.
    But they would still play game. If you took covinience from players they will alwats cry o matter if it is for good of the game. Thats why you cant just cave in and start giving players what they cry for. Players are mostly clueless when comes to game desing and will preach everthing what will make their life easyer but not exactly more fun.

But they would still play game. If you took covinience from players they will alwats cry o matter if it is for good of the game. Thats why you cant just cave in and start giving players what they cry for. Players are mostly clueless when comes to game desing and will preach everthing what will make their life easyer but not exactly more fun.
    If you interfered with flying? You apparently weren't around during WoD, the last time they interfered. People quit. Also, you are not sole arbiter of what is good for the game.

If you interfered with flying? You apparently weren't around during WoD, the last time they interfered. People quit. Also, you are not sole arbiter of what is good for the game.
    Yes they did but no becouse of flying. It was becouse of lack of content outside of sitting in our garrisons. Nobady will quit game just becouse they cant travel faster in world where you had no reason to travel anyway. This is compleltly made up bs by entilted community what are using WoD sub number drop to support their agenda.

Nobady have ever quit game what they enyoj just becouse they cant travel faster. Absolutly nobady. It was nothing but empty threats.

Its also one of the reasons why Blizz stop posting sub numbers. People start using them as weapon to justifi changes for the game. Even when they were completly wrong about why people quit.
    Last edited by Elias01; 2020-05-07 at 07:52 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    For me achives doesnt make any sense right now. I liked how it was in dreanor or legion, like to use ground mounts because there is no other reason to use them normaly. But if you want flying from day 1 there shoudlnt be achiev

Well...technically they changed it the first time in TBC by INTRODUCING flying. So just for argument sake I'd say the game was FINE without flying...why change that? But ok...now we have it in the game and they changed it again in Cata by being able to fly from the start. Could argue already re-earning flying in WotLK was BS and we should have been able to fly from the start, because we earned it at lv 70 TBC.
    The only reason you were able to fly from teh start was because the Cata zones were in the middle of the old world zones that had just been re-done for flying. THey didn't want another "Lake WIntergrasp" situation because they hated that.

And yeah..couldn't fly in Azeroth, but everybody swallowed the excuse (well...maybe it was the actual truth) that you can't fly, because the world wasn't build to fly. (But was it true? I mean, we could take flightpaths without problem and I never saw holes in the ground there, right?)
    IT was the actual truth. Many viedos had been put out on youtube showing the unfinished old world and how they hid uncompleted areas.

Was there no reason to change it? People and Blizzard have given reasons (stay subbed longer or immersion, pick the one that fits your cynical level). I guess they are just reasons you don't accept.
    Players like him will not accept anything other than flying handed to them. It's nothing but player entitlement and laziness.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes they did but no becouse of flying. It was becouse of lack of content outside of sitting in our garrisons. Nobady will quit game just becouse they cant travel faster in world where you had no reason to travel anyway. This is compleltly made up bs by entilted community what are using WoD sub number drop to support their agenda.

Nobady have ever quit game what they enyoj just becouse they cant travel faster. Absolutly nobady. It was nothing but empty threats.

Its also one of the reasons why Blizz stop posting sub numbers. People start using them as weapon to justifi changes for the game. Even when they were completly wrong about why people quit.
    Blizzard has the data of all the people who quit when it was announced flying would no longer be in the game in the hew worlds. Each person who quit was asked to give their reasons. THere is also that little social media outburst. The fact that Blizzsard reversedcourse proves your claim of "absolutely nobody quit because of flying" is absolutely false. All your claims are false.ANd, no, that is not why they stopped posting sub numbers. They stopped posting sub numbers because it was no longer an effective way to demonstrate game health because people's gaming habits changed.

I never said they wouldn't. I'm sure the game will be in a better place aferwards. Players will revolt, I'd expect nothing else. That's why it's so important that Blizzard showcase strong and good vision and goal. To minimize the outrage. Humans adjust, so do players.

Question:
    You say it has already been shown that players will not accept interferance with their free flying. Where? I can only think of pathfinder. What else have they tempered with?
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

The only reason you were able to fly from teh start was because the Cata zones were in the middle of the old world zones that had just been re-done for flying. THey didn't want another "Lake WIntergrasp" situation because they hated that.

IT was the actual truth. Many viedos had been put out on youtube showing the unfinished old world and how they hid uncompleted areas.

Players like him will not accept anything other than flying handed to them. It's nothing but player entitlement and laziness.

- - - Updated - - -

Blizzard has the data of all the people who quit when it was announced flying would no longer be in the game in the hew worlds. Each person who quit was asked to give their reasons. THere is also that little social media outburst. The fact that Blizzsard reversedcourse proves your claim of "absolutely nobody quit because of flying" is absolutely false. All your claims are false.ANd, no, that is not why they stopped posting sub numbers. They stopped posting sub numbers because it was no longer an effective way to demonstrate game health because people's gaming habits changed.
    Blizzard never said people quit during wod beocuse of flying its just your assumption nothing els.

Quote Originally Posted by TorAndre View Post
    Flying should never have been introduced in the first place. I don't want to remove it since its allready in.

But its always fun to dream about that alternate universe.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember an old SNES game called Pilotwings. Thats a good game for you since wow clearly isn't
    I remember an old game too - It's call go fuck yourself lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just make it like FFXIV: flying is a skill and you attune to new zones by finding air currents. Easy peasy.
    BfA Beta Time

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer the WotLK solution of: You hit max level, you buy a flight license for that area. Once max level an account bound flight license can be purchased on your main and sent to alts as soon as they start the expansion.

Also serves as a gold sink.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2020-05-08 at 10:10 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephire View Post
    I never said they wouldn't. I'm sure the game will be in a better place aferwards. Players will revolt, I'd expect nothing else. That's why it's so important that Blizzard showcase strong and good vision and goal. To minimize the outrage. Humans adjust, so do players.

Question:
    You say it has already been shown that players will not accept interferance with their free flying. Where? I can only think of pathfinder. What else have they tempered with?
    There were all the anti-fling things they originally had in TBC. Players flew way above them so as not to be hassled. ANy suggestion of things like that on any forum, especially the official one, has been met with outright hostility. It's not hard to see that anything that would tamper with free flying will be met with that same hostility.