Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Agism: "Hey, kid"

I'm not talking about people being prejudiced against those older than them. I'm talking about older people calling people "kid" as an insult. For example, one person in-game said, "I can't wait till you kids are back in school." Sorry, but there's nothing wrong with being younger than someone. If anything, your reflexes slow down with age, so it's probably worse to be older. Anyone feel mad with the use of the word "kid" as an insult?

he didn't call you a kid as an insult, don't reduce the whole thing he said to one word, he is tired of playing with little kids.

Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    he didn't call you a kid as an insult, don't reduce the whole thing he said to one word, he is tired of playing with little kids.
    I'm 31. That doesn't mean I have to believe that anyone younger than me is stupid.

Super sensitive much?

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    I'm 31. That doesn't mean I have to believe that anyone younger than me is stupid.
    people typically don't just shout that at every kid they see, only the ones around them that are annoying them.

I'm at that age where if someone calls me kid insultingly, I'm going to take it as a complement.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

Imagine being so soft and having a life so easy and devoid of actual problems that you're bothered by being called a "kid" by someone older and run online to cry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Imagine being so soft and having a life so easy and devoid of actual problems that you're bothered by being called a "kid" by someone older and run online to cry about it.
    Obligatory anti-SJW response du jour.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I'm 35. I sometimes call people a few years younger than me, kids. Not as an insult or anything just a habit of thinking younger than me = kid.

You're over thinking it.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate
    The calendar may put your age at 31, but your posting habits tend to have the issues of someone younger.

For someone to have said:
    For example, one person in-game said, "I can't wait till you kids are back in school."
    I'd have to guess that your communications in game made you come off as a kid to that person, just as you frequently do in your posts. "Kid" isn't always about calendar age, but how you present yourself.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    The calendar may put your age at 31, but your posting habits tend to have the issues of someone younger.

For someone to have said:

I'd have to guess that your communications in game made you come off as a kid to that person, just as you frequently do in your posts. "Kid" isn't always about calendar age, but how you present yourself.
    This is bullshit. You don't tell someone to go back to school when they're only "mentally" young.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the only people who would take offense to "kid" are kids.
    /s

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is bullshit. You don't tell someone to go back to school when they're only "mentally" young.
    By the way you post on here I would have never guessed you were in your 30's I would have said 15-16 tops.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Indara View Post
    People are told to go back to school all the time if they're perceived to act as a kid.
    So you admit he's using "kid" offensively... even though there's nothing wrong with being young.

It's just another way for people to look down on other people and feel superior. It is an insult, but it's pretty tame one imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't tell someone to go back to school when they're only "mentally" young.
    As you've written the story, he didn't. He said he couldn't wait "till you kids are back in school".

Go back and read your threads started, going to school is one of the things you post about. You don't post about it as many older posters would ... in the sense of going back to complete an education or to advance in a career. You post about it from an angle that would be more common for someone much younger, as if this is a first time consideration for you.

Flip back through your posts. You say you're 31 now, but your posts are often in terms of being a hipster or mention issues with your family. Look at the other posts from folks in their 30s and notice the difference in tone.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    As you've written the story, he didn't. He said he couldn't wait "till you kids are back in school".

Go back and read your threads started, going to school is one of the things you post about. You don't post about it as many older posters would ... in the sense of going back to complete an education or to advance in a career. You post about it from an angle that would be more common for someone much younger, as if this is a first time consideration for you.

Flip back through your posts. You say you're 31 now, but your posts are often in terms of being a hipster or mention issues with your family. Look at the other posts from folks in their 30s and notice the difference in tone.
    Hipsters are in their 20s and 30s. It's a running joke that hipsters are emo kids who "grew up." Why would that make me a youngster?

Yes, I have issues with my family. They treat me like a kid. That's probably why I take offense to someone calling others "kids."

Quote Originally Posted by Indara View Post
    Do you still live at home?
    Yes, unfortunately. I hate it, but I’m too mentally I’ll for work atm.

I'm 38, and honestly embarrassed to find out OP is in his 30s.

He posts like a teenager.

Big yikes, dawg.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I'm 38, and honestly embarrassed to find out OP is in his 30s.

He posts like a teenager.

Big yikes, dawg.
    Says "dawg", is embarrassed for teeny bopper posts.