Need help choosing a PSU wattage!

Hey team!
    My housemate is needing some new parts for her PC, her budget is $1000 AUD which is roughly $700 USD.
    So far what I have planned is:
    CPU: i5 9500 CPU - $400
    MOBO: Gygabyte Z390-UD Motherboard OR Gigabyte GA-B365M-D3H-A (Or open to suggestions) -$250 or $170
    Ram: 2x8gb DDR4 2666MHz Ram - $150
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i - $85
    Giving me roughly 200-300 for a PSU.

The GPU she is using is a 780TI
    She has a single monitor (2550x1440) a LED keyboard and an LED mouse.
    I think there may be a small fan in her PC.

Roughly what sized PSU would I need for this build? Outervisions powersupply calculator is recommending a 500W power supply.
    And if anyone has any cheap decent Mobo suggestions, please let me know!
    The budget isn't that strict, so it is quite flexibile!
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Aired; 2020-06-07 at 12:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 9500 is a bad CPU. Like, super bad. And you shouldn't ever consider a Z-series board with it. Or even really consider the CPU to begin with.

Also any reason you go with the NH-L9i? Is it a small case, or?

You said the budget isn't strict, so I took the opportunity to spec up something different:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($499.00 @ Shopping Express)
    Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($204.70 @ Device Deal)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($149.00 @ Shopping Express)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Total: $1021.70
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-07 22:40 AEST+1000

Or if you can spend another ~140, get a DRP4 for cooling as well (though it's a large cooler, so check what case your friend has): https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/GdhzL2

Or if you want super quiet while staying under-budget, get a 3600 with the DRP4: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/hcDRx6
    The 3600 will still beat the 9500 handily.

Go for a ryzen 3600 instead and a b450 tomahawk max (cheaper cpu/mb but better perfomance +no need to buy a cpu cooler), and you get like +400$ budget for a gpu (or a ssd which is such a perfomance boost vs a hdd)
    Last edited by pitakos; 2020-06-07 at 01:05 PM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Or if you can spend another ~140, get a DRP4 for cooling as well (though it's a large cooler, so check what case your friend has): https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/GdhzL2

Or if you want super quiet while staying under-budget, get a 3600 with the DRP4: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/hcDRx6
    The 3600 will still beat the 9500 handily.
    Unless you're someone who is actively trying to squeeze out every last drop of speed out of a Ryzen processor I feel like you can get away with other options for less instead of strapping on a DRP4 especially when going down to the 3600. Even a ~$100AUS FSP Windale 6 or the Reeven Ouranos would more than likely be fine to tame it.

Put that money saved in to covering the cost of pandemic tax towards a GPU or even just an SSD if she doesn't have one.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2020-06-07 at 01:51 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Thanks for the responses guys, I wasn't aware the latest i5s were so bad!
    It's a real small case, so she needs something low profile hence the NH-l9
    SSD's aren't a problem, she currently has two, and she is happy with her GPU, it runs Warzone fine which is the most intensive thing she plays, she just doesn't have the RAM/CPU to run it and gets constant game freezes when playing.
    I'll put together a cheaper option and the more expensive one and see what she likes.
    Much appreciated!

Why is she using gpu that is 7 years old? Better option would be to get used 1080 or 1070ti

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    Why is she using gpu that is 7 years old? Better option would be to get used 1080 or 1070ti
    The story behind the PC is that, when she played on her laptop it would take her 5 minutes to load into a game of dota, so my friend who was sick of waiting for her to load in built her a PC using his old 780ti, a cheap SSD, a cheap PSU and the mobo/cpu/ram/case he found on the side of the road.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Unless you're someone who is actively trying to squeeze out every last drop of speed out of a Ryzen processor I feel like you can get away with other options for less instead of strapping on a DRP4 especially when going down to the 3600. Even a ~$100AUS FSP Windale 6 or the Reeven Ouranos would more than likely be fine to tame it.

Put that money saved in to covering the cost of pandemic tax towards a GPU or even just an SSD if she doesn't have one.
    I mean, even if you're trying to squeeze all the performance out of it, then a DRP4 doesn't make sense over those, but it does if you're trying to make it silent, or as close as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aired View Post
    The story behind the PC is that, when she played on her laptop it would take her 5 minutes to load into a game of dota, so my friend who was sick of waiting for her to load in built her a PC using his old 780ti, a cheap SSD, a cheap PSU and the mobo/cpu/ram/case he found on the side of the road.
    Makes sense.
    Thanks for the responses guys, I wasn't aware the latest i5s were so bad!
    Well, the thing is, the 9500 isn't the latest i5. The 10600k is. The 10600k is a decent buy if you plan on overclocking it.

If she doesnt play heavy CPU demanding games then i would suggest a ryzen 1600 AF (its basicaly a 2600 ryzen). I dont know your local prices , but its really cheap and is overkill even for low demanding games (and anyway demanding games are mostly GPU throttled). 3600 that i would suggest is not a compromise by any means , and 1600 AF is quite decent also.

That combined with a cheap m/b and not needing a CPU cooler (another big benefit AMD has over INTEL since the stock cooler is good enough) she can easily squeeze a new generation cheap GPU with her budget, which honestly will be really decent for the next 3-4 years

PCPartPicker Part List: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZVVkrV

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($279.00 @ Shopping Express)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.00 @ Computer Alliance)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($114.40 @ Newegg Australia)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card ($401.50 @ Newegg Australia)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($83.60 @ Newegg Australia)
    Total: $1047.50
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-08 11:29 AEST+1000

Dunno if this is AUD actually, tried with Australia , but they didnt have 1600 AF for some reason. Also not sure if GPU/ PSU are small enough for her case will have to check sizes. Going for 2600 instead of 3600 will drop the price below 1000, the loss in perfomance is not that bad , but honestly I would either go for for 1600AF or 3600

But honestly , if she goes for 1600 AF (if she is able to find them in Australia) and a lower end GPU , she can even get a new PC case with her budget.

One suggestion for a full build (except ssd which she has already)

PCPartPicker Part List: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/VW2XzN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.00 @ Shopping Express)
    Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($201.30 @ Newegg Australia)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($114.40 @ Newegg Australia)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card ($301.79 @ Amazon Australia)
    Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($83.60 @ Newegg Australia)
    Total: $999.09
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-08 19:29 AEST+1000
    Last edited by pitakos; 2020-06-08 at 09:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pitakos View Post
    One suggestion for a full build (except ssd which she has already)
    OP also said she has a GPU, a 780ti to be exact. And also a case.

And the case you picked is shit. The P300 is awful, you'd want the p300A

OP also said she has a GPU, a 780ti to be exact. And also a case.

And the case you picked is shit. The P300 is awful, you'd want the p300A
    Yes mistake with the case changed it. I know what he said , but the GPU is trash honestly and if she can get a new one with her budget , why not ? And same with the case of course since its affordable budget wise.

In the end , I am just suggesting things they might have not considered, nothing more.
    Last edited by pitakos; 2020-06-08 at 09:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes mistake with the case changed it. I know what he said , but the GPU is trash honestly and if she can get a new one with her budget , why not ? And same with the case of course since its affordable budget wise.

In the end , I am just suggesting things they might have not considered, nothing more.
    You suggest a 580.. Which is only roughly as good as the 780ti. At best it's a 5-10% performance upgrade, at worst it's a 5-10% downgrade.

That's the definition of throwing money away.

You suggest a 580.. Which is only roughly as good as the 780ti. At best it's a 5-10% performance upgrade, at worst it's a 5-10% downgrade.

Not really since 8gb memory is more future proof than 3gb,which arleady makes a lot more than 5-10% perfomance that you say in more modern games. 780ti was released in what , 2013? She could wait until it died surely, but replacing something 7 years old when you can fit the budget isnt the definition of throwing money away imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really since 8gb memory is more future proof than 3gb,which arleady makes a lot more than 5-10% perfomance that you say in more modern games. 780ti was released in what , 2013? She could wait until it died surely, but replacing something 7 years old when you can fit the budget isnt the definition of throwing money away imo.
    Getting more VRAM won't give you more performance unless you're capped on it, which you won't be at 1080p, even with 3gb.

And replacing something that works with something else that performs the same is literally throwing away money.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm not sure I agree with that. At best in some older games a 780ti can maybe match a 580 but in most newer games it's quite significantly behind, and falls of a cliff in anything using DX12 or Vulkan.

That said I'd probably recommend upgrading to at least a 1660 Super for any really noticeable difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with that. At best in some older games a 780ti can maybe match a 580 but in most newer games it's quite significantly behind, and falls of a cliff in anything using DX12 or Vulkan.

That said I'd probably recommend upgrading to at least a 1660 Super for any really noticeable difference.
    It's kinda hard finding benchmarks comparing the two in modern titles since they're both old as fuck though.
    Just went with what I could find online

Hey guys! Just thought I'd give you all an update, since I've been super busy with uni exams and forgot to check in here.
    She ended up getting an AMD 3600x with a b450 Tomahawk max, 16gb of ram and a 550w gold PSU (its the only one I could find in stock).
    She's super happy with it, and it runs warzone alot better than it used to.
    She has just gotten a new cat, so a GPU upgrade has been sidelined for the foreseeable future.
    I appreciate all the help you all provided!

I dont get how people are even supposed to answer the PSU question if the main source of power usage in the system (i.e. GPU) is not even mentioned. Weird.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    I dont get how people are even supposed to answer the PSU question if the main source of power usage in the system (i.e. GPU) is not even mentioned. Weird.
    In the first post of the thread:
    The GPU she is using is a 780TI
    - - - Updated - - -

Hey guys! Just thought I'd give you all an update, since I've been super busy with uni exams and forgot to check in here.
    She ended up getting an AMD 3600x with a b450 Tomahawk max, 16gb of ram and a 550w gold PSU (its the only one I could find in stock).
    She's super happy with it, and it runs warzone alot better than it used to.
    She has just gotten a new cat, so a GPU upgrade has been sidelined for the foreseeable future.
    I appreciate all the help you all provided!
    I'm glad it works! And cat > GPU any day