Any solid info on leveling zone progression?

Let me start this off by saying, I know this is beta and in the early stages, and thus, subject to change.

I've been trying to figure out what zone progression was going to be with the level squish since I heard about it. I had originally thought it would be:

Starting Zone: 1-10
    Classic: 20-50
    Burning Crusade: 20-50
    Wrath of the Lich King: 20-50
    Cataclysm: 20-50
    Mysts of Pandaria: 20-50
    Warlords of Draenor: 20-50
    Legion: 20-50
    Battle for Azeroth: 20-50
    Shadowlands: 50-60

However, I was looking at the WoWHead site and saw this:
    Classic: 1-30
    Burning Crusade: 10-30
    Wrath of the Lich King: 10-30
    Cataclysm: 30-35
    Mysts of Pandaria: 10-35
    Warlords of Draenor: 10-40
    Legion: 10-45
    Battle for Azeroth: 10-50

I think the upper limits are just the minimum level you need to be to go to the highest zones of each expansion, as I don't think it's possible to do all of Classic in 30 levels or all of Cataclysm in 5 at a mid-level range. It sounds to me by their interviews that the Classic zones and Cata will be a mix of leveling routes to get to 50. One continent may be too much content to do 50 levels in the new system. Has anyone actually used their beta access to level in the Classic/Cata zones to test this out? Are there any leveling flow maps out there with the new routes? How much of the Classic continents do you complete to get to level 50? I hope they don't make it to where you outlevel content too fast again.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 2020-06-16 at 04:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should be able to complete all the cata zones and get around 50, but bigger continents like OL, Northrend, and Draenor, No way. Expect to only get 2-5 zones done depending on their size.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post

I hope this is changed. Even an extra 10 levels on Classic, TBC and Wotlk would be a big difference. I get they want players to experience MoP, Cata and WoD content but we should be given that option.
    "They will come for us now, all of them" "Let them come, Frostmourne The Banshee Queen hungers."

Where did you see this at? In the comment section or an actual post with testing from the beta? Because I don't think I've heard of this before.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=316264/...adowlands-alph

In fact, on May 30th, a guy was able to get from 10 to 50 in just Draenor.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrizar View Post
    I hope this is changed. Even an extra 10 levels on Classic, TBC and Wotlk would be a big difference. I get they want players to experience MoP, Cata and WoD content but we should be given that option.
    Like I said in my first post, I think the 1-30 range for Classic means that the top zones like Silithus and Blasted lands will be 30 minimum (scaling 30-50) while the earlier zones could be different. For example Westfall would scale to be 10-50. The reason Cataclysm can't be 10-50 is that a couple of the zones require a flying mount, which you can't get until level 30. It sounds like one of your leveling paths could be 1-30 Eastern Kingdoms/Kalimdor then 30-50 Cataclysm.

I just hope that if that's the case, and there are multiple paths from 10-50, that they put in new breadcrumb quests to help direct you to the zones. It would be weird to be in the middle of leveling through Eastern Kingdoms, you get some quest to go to the Badlands, but you ignore that to hit up Mount Hyjal. I'd like story progression of some sort and I hope you can complete an entire expansion by hitting 50, not only part of one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redzonetode View Post
    Where did you see this at? In the comment section or an actual post with testing from the beta? Because I don't think I've heard of this before.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=316264/...adowlands-alph

In fact, on May 30th, a guy was able to get from 10 to 50 in just Draenor.
    Go to the Database tab and hover your cursor over Zones. It shows up. As I said in earlier posts, I think that level listed is the minimum level for the max zones of that particular expansion.

I have been leveling a lot on the Alpha testing out the new systems and believe I can answer any questions you have.
    It does seem like you might have missed something though.
    There is the standard leveling path that hasn't changed.
    1-x is Classic, then x-y is TBC and Wrath etc.
    Whatever they were in BFA they were just squished in number by 2 where applicable.

However, what you might want to see is the new Chromie Time leveling.
    This allows you to pick any expansion and level through just that if you prefer.
    For example, level 10 in the Jade Forest or Zuldazar.
    I have two series where I did just that that might pique your interest and answer some of your basic desires.

If you have more detailed questions, post them there and I will be happy to answer them all!
    Here is what I have so far
    No Spec DK leveling through Classic / Cata (which is considered its own pathway atm, not seperate ones)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._JZY21udzC7Uyp
    And
    2h Enhancement Shaman through MoP. Found out doing so that you can do all max level content MoP has in each zone, including dailies, timeless isle etc too
    Still uploading them as we speak
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...0mzGV-seJkrD7-

Check em out and if you have any questions lemme know!
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    I have been leveling a lot on the Alpha testing out the new systems and believe I can answer any questions you have.
    It does seem like you might have missed something though.
    There is the standard leveling path that hasn't changed.
    1-x is Classic, then x-y is TBC and Wrath etc.
    Whatever they were in BFA they were just squished in number by 2 where applicable.

However, what you might want to see is the new Chromie Time leveling.
    This allows you to pick any expansion and level through just that if you prefer.
    For example, level 10 in the Jade Forest or Zuldazar.
    I have two series where I did just that that might pique your interest and answer some of your basic desires.

If you have more detailed questions, post them there and I will be happy to answer them all!
    Here is what I have so far
    No Spec DK leveling through Classic / Cata (which is considered its own pathway atm, not seperate ones)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._JZY21udzC7Uyp
    And
    2h Enhancement Shaman through MoP. Found out doing so that you can do all max level content MoP has in each zone, including dailies, timeless isle etc too
    Still uploading them as we speak
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...0mzGV-seJkrD7-

Check em out and if you have any questions lemme know!
    I guess it's tough to gauge a leveling path for Class/Cata from your video as its in Alpha when people are leveling just several hours. I have several alts currently that have been leveling and are nearing level 50 right now. In Shadowlands a level 50 will becomes about a level 20 or 21. As I'm close to completing Eastern Kingdoms with that character, I may just reroll. I don't want to get to level 35 or so, finish Eastern Kingdoms, start another expansion, then hit 50 midway through something. I know that may put me outside the norm, but I like to finish storylines once I start them. So, that's why I've been very interested in leveling paths for the Vanilla/Cata zones. I guess I'll just have to wait until it gets closer to release.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 2020-06-16 at 04:45 AM.

Nope, as explained you can do any expansion 1-50. 1-60 if you have utilize party sync.
    If you want to do nothing but Kalimdor you are able to.
    Not need to switch anything.

Faster leveling is part of it though.
    That was expressly stated by Blizzard.
    I believe the number was roughly 60 percent faster than on live.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Nope, as explained you can do any expansion 1-50. 1-60 if you have utilize party sync.

Right, but what I thought they meant by that was 1-50 is 60% faster than 1-120. I figured 1-50 in SL would be the same time as 1-60 in live. So, it would take you the same time to complete Vanilla or an expansion, but that same time would get you to 50 and moving onto the new content. Whereas currently that same time just gets you moving on to BC or WotLK, with multiple expansions left before you got to 110.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 2020-06-16 at 04:54 AM.

Its probably about that speed, ya.
    I have yet to do something that isn't intentionally meant to be difficult / slow me down, but I expect about 24 hours played from 1-60 atm.
    Feels like around 12 to 50 is pretty solid if you aren't using heirlooms etc.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    ONEAzerothTV

What do you mean you can do 1-60 in any expansion if using party sync?
    Ideally, I’d like to level up 10 to 60 (or even 1 to 60) without touching SL content of possible to avoid repeating the same content too many times.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    1. Every zone has squished level brackets, otherwise whole world would be level 50, which would be huge pain in the ass for people that want to solo old stuff.

2. BfA zones are 10-50.

3. If you want to enable 10-50 for any expansion you must talk to Chromie, but it's just for leveling, on 50 every zone will have their default bracket again.

I guess it's tough to gauge a leveling path for Class/Cata from your video as its in Alpha when people are leveling just several hours. I have several alts currently that have been leveling and are nearing level 50 right now. In Shadowlands a level 50 will becomes about a level 20 or 21. As I'm close to completing Eastern Kingdoms with that character, I may just reroll. I don't want to get to level 35 or so, finish Eastern Kingdoms, start another expansion, then hit 50 midway through something. I know that may put me outside the norm, but I like to finish storylines once I start them. So, that's why I've been very interested in leveling paths for the Vanilla/Cata zones. I guess I'll just have to wait until it gets closer to release.
    "Classic" doesn't exist. It's all Cataclysm.

The level ranges of an expansion will adapt to 10-50 once you pick an expansion with Chromie Time, otherwise the level ranges are the same as on live right now (except /2)... it's really not that complicated.

The level brackets were all just put at half their current value. Those aren't the actual brackets, which are 10-50 for everything except SL.

In your expectation, there's no way to level from 10-20, though...

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    "Classic" doesn't exist. It's all Cataclysm.

The level ranges of an expansion will adapt to 10-50 once you pick an expansion with Chromie Time, otherwise the level ranges are the same as on live right now (except /2)... it's really not that complicated.
    I know there's not really "Classic" anymore, although that would be amazing if they could include that as part of Chromie Time as well. It's not possible due to the rebuilding of the continents with Cataclysm though. I was just trying to use the word "Classic" rather than typing out Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor every time. I guess my main question was how the Cataclysm zones fit into the leveling flow. If you can't do the Cataclysm zones until level 30, then that expansion will take you from 30-50, rather than 1-50 like all the other ones. It's a small gripe, but I usually like to level with emersion, even when I'm leveling an alt through a zone I've leveled through 20 times already.

This whole thread seems to be based on a pretty basic misunderstanding on your part.

This is incorrect. What Wowhead actually says (https://www.wowhead.com/guides/shado...s-level-squish):

New Players:
    1-10: Exile's Reach (new newbie zone for all players)
    10-50: Battle for Azeroth
    50-60: Shadowlands

Experienced Players:
    10-50: Any choice of the 8 expansions
    50-60: Shadowlands

I know there's not really "Classic" anymore, although that would be amazing if they could include that as part of Chromie Time as well. It's not possible due to the rebuilding of the continents with Cataclysm though. I was just trying to use the word "Classic" rather than typing out Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor every time. I guess my main question was how the Cataclysm zones fit into the leveling flow. If you can't do the Cataclysm zones until level 30, then that expansion will take you from 30-50, rather than 1-50 like all the other ones. It's a small gripe, but I usually like to level with emersion, even when I'm leveling an alt through a zone I've leveled through 20 times already.
    Yeah what I mean that "Classic" doesn't exist is that they don't treat the former 1-60 (ek and kalimdor) and 80-85 (cata) leveling brackets as 2 different things, but in Chromie Time they are all part of Cataclysm.

But yeah all in all the way how this system works is that you pick an expansion at Chromie and then you will get a breadcrumb quest for each expansion, HOWEVER all continents in the game (except SL) will scale 10-50 so you can play whatever you like and switch between zones whenever you want. At max lvl then all these zones get the leveling brackets back as you've described in your original post. I guess the reason they're doing this is so that all the old content remains easy and soloable as it is right now.

This is also designed in such a way that you can reach 50 with just playing 1 single expansion if you choose to, so for example if you want to just level through MoP then you'll hit 50 before you're done with that continent.
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2020-06-17 at 12:57 PM.

I think it means, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, that you can pretty much choose any zone to level in both Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms including the Cataclysm zones. So you can do Westfall and then when you are finished there you can go to Uldum and then do Barrens after if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by PointerToAddress View Post
    I think it means, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, that you can pretty much choose any zone to level in both Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms including the Cataclysm zones. So you can do Westfall and then when you are finished there you can go to Uldum and then do Barrens after if you want to.
    I guess I was wondering if they've added any more breadcrumb quests to guide you through the zones or possibly to the Cataclysm zones midway through. For example, Darkshore leads right into Ashenvale, which leads into Stonetalon Mountain. There are similar breadcrumbs throughout the original continents that take you through the game in a story that makes sense.

Perhaps my question should instead be, how much of Eastern Kingdoms or Kalimdor will I be finished with by the time I hit 50? Will I be halfway through the story? Is there enough time to finish the Cataclysm zones from 30-50, since flying is required for some of them? OR, am I gonna have to hit 50 and make the decision of whether to finish the storyline without getting experience or to just drop the story mid-expansion and move on to Shadowlands?

Ideally, you want the timing to be just right so that you're finishing up Silithus, Winterspring, or Blasted Lands (depending on which route you take) right as you ding 50. The same can be said for each of the other expansions. The expansions are a little easier, as there's mostly only one path (at least after the initial zone). However, EK/Kal have several different paths depending on where you start. Kalimdor kinda splits into the north and south later in the levels, while EK is split more at the beginning and merges toward the end. Now with the Cataclysm zones included in the same "expansion" there are even more routes. So I'm just wondering about the timing and speed of it all.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 2020-06-17 at 09:57 PM.

the things i'm curious about in shadowlands is how the artifact weapons and heart of azeroth are going to factor into things for leveling in legion and bfa content. as well as the order hall and war campaigns.