3+ Year Old Account

Super Mario-themed MMO?

You know, it would be really cool to see how Nintendo would develop an MMO set in the Mushroom Kingdom, and other places in the Mario world. They have shown that they not only make E-rated games with SSB and Twilight Princess. The gameplay could echo WoW, but it could play like some Zelda games such BotW.

Now, for the races, I'd say that Toads, Yoshis, Piantas, Monkeys/Apes and even Humans could be on the 'good' side, while Koopas, Dry Bones, Goombas and Koopalings would be on the 'bad' side. For classes I'm not really sure but maybe they could be like the powerups, or you'd just use diffent ones throughout the game?

Edit: Non-Yoshi players are able to ride Yoshis like how the Druid Travel form is. Also Koopas might be neutral, as there's often Koopas living in villages who have nothing to do with Bowser. Humans could be optionally evil too I guess. Also, maybe Goombas shouldn't be playable? They have no arms lmao

I don't think the game would have much customization, but it'd still make for an interesting MMO. Nintendo could team up with Square Enix if they really wanted too!

Thoughts?
    Last edited by LemonDemonGirl; 2020-06-17 at 06:39 AM.
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

I feel like they'd make a self-contained single player RPG with modern MMORPG influences before they'd make a Mario MMORPG, even in a theoretical sense. I mean, have you seen how Nintendo handles online?

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    I feel like they'd make a self-contained single player RPG with modern MMORPG influences before they'd make a Mario MMORPG, even in a theoretical sense. I mean, have you seen how Nintendo handles online?
    Not really, are you talking about things like Smash matches?
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

I'd love for something in the same vein as the Paper Mario series.

They only have to care to fix that problem. If they make a game that can't be played offline, I'm sure they would care.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    They don't let you talk at all. Everyone's a potential pedo apparently...

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think MMO RPG's are profitable enough to warrant taking a risk. Maybe something closer to Sea of Thieves?
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Pokemon would be the giant ticket winner as an mmo. Explore all the regions, hidden areas. Events for legendaries. Itd be fantastic. I just don't see Mario able to be an mmo
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

I mean, Nintendo does have Monolith Soft. They could probably make a pretty good MMORPG if given a good online infrastructure. The Xenoblades are basically single player MMORPGs, especially X. The only issue is that Mario probably wouldn't be a good franchise to take that direction. The only ones that would make sense are Xenoblade, Pokémon, maaaaaybe Metroid (FPSMMO), and maaaaaaaaaaybe Zelda. Of course, Mario has been made into party games, RPGs, sports games, and other stuff, so it's not impossible, just would be a strange choice IMO.

EDIT: Could also do a cool Star Fox MMO I bet, that'd be super ambitious though. A multiplayer-based Star Fox in general has always seemed kind of cool. Although, I think most Star Fox fans just want a good sequel to Star Fox 64 at this point, Zero wasn't great, Assault was just OK, and Adventures is really just a weird spin-off.
    Last edited by Paetolus; 2020-06-17 at 06:57 AM.

Yea, not seeing Mario as an IP that works well for an MMO, but then I guess everything with random (hidden) matchmaking can be considered an MMO these days. It wouldn't be the weirdest thing, but I just don't see the mass appeal. Heck it could be a mobile project, though I feel like if Nintendo did it, it would turn out to be one hell of gacha-nightmare game with the depth of a puddle... The more I think about it the more I can see it happening. The question is really how you would structure the core gameplay loop in a satisfying way that keeps people engaged.

The Idea of using Pokemon for that is more obvious and has practically been proven as a concept by temtem already.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Mario 64 Online?

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    It's not any singular case. Nintendo is notoriously uncaring and bare minimum with their online approach to games. They also tend to be rather restrictive more often than not, especially about their own property and games. It'd be Disney's Toontown level of restrictions. Not really an MMORPG if you basically make everyone faceless players.

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    They only have to care to fix that problem. If they make a game that can't be played offline, I'm sure they would care.
    They fix it JUST enough, which is not good enough for an MMORPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Paetolus View Post
    I mean, Nintendo does have Monolith Soft. They could probably make a pretty good MMORPG if given a good online infrastructure. The Xenoblades are basically single player MMORPGs, especially X. The only issue is that Mario probably wouldn't be a good franchise to take that direction. The only ones that would make sense are Xenoblade, Pokémon, maaaaaybe Metroid (FPSMMO), and maaaaaaaaaaybe Zelda. Of course, Mario has been made into party games, RPGs, sports games, and other stuff, so it's not impossible, just would be a strange choice IMO.

EDIT: Could also do a cool Star Fox MMO I bet, that'd be super ambitious though. A multiplayer-based Star Fox in general has always seemed kind of cool. Although, I think most Star Fox fans just want a good sequel to Star Fox 64 at this point, Zero wasn't great, Assault was just OK, and Adventures is really just a weird spin-off.
    Honestly the best would probably be a smash bros type mishmash like they did with rabids if it came down to it. People would probably really love to play as their favorite characters in an MMORPG - you know? People really are into that kind of stuff. But yeah, Mario is a weirdly hard sell for that kind of genre. Not that Nintendo couldn't pull off the gameplay part because I honestly believe they could - it's the online component that I'd be wary of.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, as a genre, MMOs are pretty risky these days. They're very costly to develop due to their scale, and there isn't a huge demand for them like there once was, with most gamers gravitating towards targeted online experiences (shooters, mobas, battle royales, etc.) rather than theme park games that need to have various activities for various players.

Nintendo's online services are also, let's say... suboptimal. So I'm not sure I'd trust them to build the necessary infrastructure for a functional MMORPG.

That being said, co-op platforming in the style of Mario Odyssey could be really fun. I would envision something less MMO and more like shared hub worlds with co-op stages, though.

At least, I think if they were going to make an online Mario game, it would be best to lean on what makes Mario a franchise unique, rather than just reskinning WoW or Diablo or some other online game with Mario characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Well, as a genre, MMOs are pretty risky these days. They're very costly to develop due to their scale, and there isn't a huge demand for them like there once was, with most gamers gravitating towards targeted online experiences (shooters, mobas, battle royales, etc.) rather than theme park games that need to have various activities for various players.
    Well to be fair here, you could have a MMO Mario with various activities which already exist. Like you wander around the open world, and here and there would be instances where you could hop in a Mario Kart game. Then you go on with a Smash one. Then a Sports one (Tennis or whatever, Nintendo has a shitton of stuff like that).

I dunno, I could see that working. That's like GTA V Online, where you basically do whatever you want here and there.

I'm pretty sure if we ever get a nintendo mmo it will either be Pokemon or Zelda (breath of the wild like)

They fix it JUST enough, which is not good enough for an MMORPG.
    Not that I think they'll ever make an mmoprg, or a game that's not focused on local experiences, but if they did, I feel they would spend a lot of time getting it right. Nintendo almost always delivers well-made games. If netcode and infrastructure is a core concern, then it will be a focus point.
    Mother pus bucket!

Abilities are jump, fireball and any combination thereof? What do you think would be the gameplay component?

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Abilities are jump, fireball and any combination thereof? What do you think would be the gameplay component?
    4 man groups perhaps.
    like warframe / monster hunter,.

the mmo part could be the social section of it - and knowing nintendo it'd be doomed from the start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look up Super Adventure Box.

Suprise there's so few co-op 3D platformers.

Resident Cosplay Progressive