Poll: Should flying have DIED with TBC?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Garrisons died with WOD. Should flying have died with TBC as well?
    Why do you feel that garrisons should be compared to flight, in the first place?
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Surprised we got to page 5 before you showed up. Out of curiosity, do you ever get tired of copying and pasting the same response in every flying thread?

The new approach is not inherently worse. You have an opinion that one was better than the other but this is not a fact. Please stop trying to justify your opinion as this universally accepted truth by capitulating the dull, overly cynical and completely bland "old game devs good, new game devs BAD," ideology that is so omniscient on this forum. This is a disingenuous, flawed line of reasoning which appeals only to the type of people who flock to these threads to get happy little updoots from internet strangers about their shared nostalgia of the "good ol days before mean ol Blizzard ruined the game by removing flying from it."

(And please, for the love of God and all that is holy do not try to paint the results of this poll as some kind of support for your argument because that isn't even what the poll is asking.)

edit: Dang, guess you posted on the previous page too.
    Why is it surprising? I like WoW and I like flying in WoW. Nothing has significantly changed since the original argument. And you'll note that not only did I not start this thread, but I let it run for awhile before even commenting.

I've mellowed out on the topic quite a bit. I didn't go after anyone specific, and I think my post was fairly reasonable. Again, you'll notice that I made a point of agreeing that completely unrestricted flight is bad. Isn't that the same thing many arguments against flying say? Nor did I say that the current design was inherently worse. I framed it in terms of potential. The current design is serviceable. But the current design with flying added into it intelligently and carefully could be better.

Don't be so quick to leap to conclusions out of anger because I have a history of taking a hardline on the flying issue. Opinions change. People learn.

And please don't put words in my mouth. Argue against what I'm actually saying.

I concur with most of the sentiment here.

In BC and Wrath they planned content around flying and cooked it into the game world.

Then they just kind of stopped and about 4 years later decided flying was bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Garrisons died with WOD
    Its a good thing BfA doesn't have followers for quests and rewards..... right?

respectfully, what a stupid question is this?
    We should be able to fly anywhere, even in the new expansion from the beginning. It should be completely optional, at everyone's choice ... I could accept that flying with war mode on is prevented.and I go a little further. I should increase the flight speed much more, right now it is insufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Capultro View Post
    respectfully, what a stupid question is this?
    We should be able to fly anywhere, even in the new expansion from the beginning. It should be completely optional, at everyone's choice ... I could accept that flying with war mode on is prevented.and I go a little further. I should increase the flight speed much more, right now it is insufficient.
    Yes, in fact, why don't we just eliminate travel in the game altogether? Blizzard should just let you push a button on the map and you instantly teleport there. But even that's not enough. Every time you use this feature, an ex-Blizzard dev (who they recently fired because of the implementation of this feature) will write a personalized apology letter to you for all of the countless hours you've squandered having to utilize less-than-instantaneous methods of travel. GMs do this all the time, they have the technology!!!

/s

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Yes, in fact, why don't we just eliminate travel in the game altogether? Blizzard should just let you push a button on the map and you instantly teleport there. But even that's not enough. Every time you use this feature, an ex-Blizzard dev (who they recently fired because of the implementation of this feature) will write a personalized apology letter to you for all of the countless hours you've squandered having to utilize less-than-instantaneous methods of travel. GMs do this all the time, they have the technology!!!

/s
    I actually agree, to an extent. Flying everywhere in all content isn't a good idea.

But fast travel(instant teleport to locations a player has already been to) is a regular tool in most open world games, amd something we already have limited access to via the flightmaster whistle and hearthstone(and the Vulpera racial, IIRC?).

We really need to avoid blanket statements at one extreme or the other. Careful integration of these travel tools to enhance the game is the way to go.

it's not Laziness to not "build around flying"
    Hell if anything having to "build around flying" would simply handicap them every time its time to make a new zone. Every area would just either be super hi up or be islands floating off in the distance.

Walking and running should have died with wotlk, Like don't make normal floor just lava so you cant land and only have to move using flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    FTFY ^

10char
    Wrong. And what I said is backed up by Ion and others, so you can stop lying.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Wrong. And what I said is backed up by Ion and others, so you can stop lying.
    Ion has changed his story on topics so many times I'm not sure how anyone can place a great deal of trust in anything he says. The truth of the matter is that he's going to say whatever supports the current direction of the game design, and anything that conflicts with that will be spun, clarified, or retconned.

That being said, I will give him and the WoW team credit for eventually learning. It only took them what....3 expansions to start listening to feedback and doing a real alpha/beta test instead of a glorified hype train? Better late than never. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Wrong. They do not hate that flying is in the game. They just regret how it was implemented.

- - - Updated - - -

Garrisons weren't terrible.
    The concept wasn't terrible, the way they evolved the entire expansion around them was. I think that idea would have been much better placed into proper player housing, then just something we literally ditched and forgot about.

7+ Year Old Account
    Flying wasn't a problem until Blizzard made it one.

Garrisons died with WOD. Should flying have died with TBC as well?
    Since when did Garrisons die with WoD? They are still moneyprinting machines.

Flying wasnt just a major changing feature it altered the game for the better, it added a new vertical dynamic to its horizontal world, yes, elements were lost such as exploring that world and being restricted to movement, but it added a new element of accessability via airbased movement.

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    The concept wasn't terrible, the way they evolved the entire expansion around them was. I think that idea would have been much better placed into proper player housing, then just something we literally ditched and forgot about.
    I haven't forgot about it. I use it every time I go to Draenor to run old raids and dungeons or to the Halloween and Christmas world events. Player housing does not belong in a game of WARcraft.

3+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Running into something ever 5 feet and having to dismount and fight it isn't very fun. Plus it's already very frustrating to navigate mountainous zones like the Storm Peaks for example
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

I can't imagine places like Northrend, Deepholm, and Vashj'ir (the seahorse was a flying mount...) without flying. Ever since Blizzard got some stick up their ass about flying, zones just haven't been the same since. We got flat, shit zones like the majority of Pandaria.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I can't imagine places like Northrend, Deepholm, and Vashj'ir (the seahorse was a flying mount...) without flying. Ever since Blizzard got some stick up their ass about flying, zones just haven't been the same since. We got flat, shit zones like the majority of Pandaria.
    I can because I leveled in all of them without flying. ANd , no the seahorse is not a flying mount. You are swimming, not flying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    Nope. Running into something ever 5 feet and having to dismount and fight it isn't very fun. Plus it's already very frustrating to navigate mountainous zones like the Storm Peaks for example
    You are severely over exaggerating. I never had to do that once. IT's called using the roads not running head first into mobs in a straight line.

I am not a fan of flying. In fact, I think it's awful. I think it detracts from this game being good, and why we have an outdoor world that is irrelevant at best. Because of flying, we need flying.
    I'm not saying it's not a convenience. I am saying that is the problem.

I usually play the expansion until people get flying. After that, blaaaargh.