Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Need warrior leveling advice

Starting a warrior tonight and I will be leveling on the horde.

Looking for some advice and tips before I start this journey. Anything helps
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Fight green level mobs

Keep your weapon updated as often as possible.

Fast attack speed weapons are just as good as slow ones until you get to level 30+, and blue BOEs are often available very cheaply on the AH.

Warriors don't have movement speed increase until you get a mount, so don't waste your time traveling all over the world doing quests, take advantage of the rage mechanic and just grind mobs as much as possible.

Don't use heroic strike ever - Open with rend, then spam sunder until the mob is at 50% health or less then pool rage for the next mob.
    Last edited by ydraw; 2020-06-21 at 09:26 AM.

Join the Fight Club discord, read their leveling FAQ. Don't listen to halfbaked advice like the one above me.

https://discord.gg/fightclub

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post

Level First aid, cooking and fishing with it, you lose a bit of time but it's so worth it!

Also, you can tank any dungeon in any spec, you get into groups easy if you can tank.

Get the ravager from Herod in SM Arms asap and be a 2h tank god till good knows when, I even used it when I was tanking BRD.
    Just also have a SHield Block + 1h + shield macro for hard hitting mobs / bosses and ur good to go

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    Join the Fight Club discord, read their leveling FAQ. Don't listen to halfbaked advice like the one above me.

https://discord.gg/fightclub
    Your guide says the same thing I said, except I said it without having to post a 5000 word essay and without being a dick.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ydraw View Post
    Fight green level mobs

Fast attack speed weapons are just as good as slow ones until you get to level 30+, and blue BOEs are often available very cheaply on the AH.

Warriors don't have movement speed increase until you get a mount, so don't waste your time traveling all over the world doing quests, take advantage of the rage mechanic and just grind mobs as much as possible.

Don't use heroic strike ever - Open with rend, then spam sunder until the mob is at 50% health or less then pool rage for the next mob.
    Basically what this guy said, but also it’s very helpful to get a swing timer and hamstring/AA weave to minimize the damage you take in some situations.

Never pull more than 1 mob if it can be prevented, atleast until ww/ss.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

Your guide says the same thing I said, except I said it without having to post a 5000 word essay and without being a dick.
    Well aside from the fact that you're incorrect and using HS at 50% is perfectly viable until level 24 because you train rank 4 HS here, but you don't go beyond it due to new sunder rank and imp. overpower isn't trained until around this level, slow weapons are MUCH stronger than faster weapons even at low levels, especially at level 21 or 26 depending on which spec you go for due to Overpower being your main damage ability until level 36.

I mean, you can regurgitate halfbaked facts as much as you please, but you don't understand why they're facts to begin with.
    Last edited by WaltherLeopold; 2020-06-21 at 03:06 PM.

Always have healing potion and bandages on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    Well aside from the fact that you're incorrect and using HS at 50% is perfectly viable until level 24 because you train rank 4 HS here, but you don't go beyond it due to new sunder rank and imp. overpower isn't trained until around this level, slow weapons are MUCH stronger than faster weapons even at low levels, especially at level 21 or 26 depending on which spec you go for due to Overpower being your main damage ability until level 36.
    They might be stronger in theory but in practice when overpower procs the mob is dead anyway. That slow weapon did more damage but it was all overkill.

When you're fighting quest mobs rather than raid bosses, what extra damage you might get from using a slower weapon is mostly wasted in overkill anyway, hence why fast weapons are almost as good (and far cheaper to get).

Additonally, when using a slow weapon, you will take extra damage during the times that your swing doesn't quite kill a mob. In the 3 seconds until you swing again you could get hit twice, which means more downtime.

The difference is tiny at best, but since everyone thinks only slow weapons are worth using, you can pick up the faster weapons on the AH very cheaply, and they are perfectly fine for leveling at least until you can get corpsemaker from RFK or something.
    Last edited by ydraw; 2020-06-22 at 03:50 PM.

Get Rend, Onyxia/Nef buff as well before going to level.

Find a Shaman buddy to level with especially at level 32 onwards, WF totem and heals.

Make cheap elixirs, pots.

Honestly if you are rich, just buy carry runs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post

Spec Fury, keep cooking maxed out, and First Aid: Learn It, Live It, Love It. First Aid will significantly cut down on downtime between mobs so long as you maintain relevant bandages for your level. As Fury, Bloodthirst will also cut down on your downtime, as the famous Indalamar video demonstrates quite handily.

Warriors are highly gear-dependent, so don't be ashamed to hit the AH for a good weapon and to upgrade your armor if you've gone a few levels without anything good. Once you can, set up shop in Scarlet Monastery and try to get a full kit of Scarlet Crusade armor, it'll tide you over well until you can get a good set of plate armor and the set bonuses are a nice, if small, defensive boost while leveling, and if you can find a good spot with a lot of undead, the extra attack power will come in handy.

I'd also highly recommend stocking up on healing and buff potions.

Learn from my mistakes: when I joined the game, I leveled sword and board. Don't do this unless you also happen to find watching paint dry an intellectually-stimulating exercise. Keep a sword and shield on hand to keep your skills maxed out for dungeon tanking, so you're not just uselessly mongo-flailing while trying to keep hate, but you should either use a strong two-hander or dual-wield while questing to maintain a reasonable kill speed.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Warriors are highly gear-dependent,
    This can not be stated enough.

A warrior will feel like a god or a peasant entirely because of their equipment.

Learn how various stats help you out and at what values. Spirit is not a trash stat in classic and can really help you out when you're sitting there stuck eating because you haven't been keeping your weapon up to date or are slacking on strength. Read up on guides for items to look for, I think I had Kargoz's Guide simply for the weapon list since it had a long ass list of alternative items and their sources so I had stuff to look for outside of the Ravager/Whirlwind Axe as I went along my way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Spec Fury, keep cooking maxed out, and First Aid: Learn It, Live It, Love It. First Aid will significantly cut down on downtime between mobs so long as you maintain relevant bandages for your level. As Fury, Bloodthirst will also cut down on your downtime, as the famous Indalamar video demonstrates quite handily.

Warriors are highly gear-dependent, so don't be ashamed to hit the AH for a good weapon and to upgrade your armor if you've gone a few levels without anything good. Once you can, set up shop in Scarlet Monastery and try to get a full kit of Scarlet Crusade armor, it'll tide you over well until you can get a good set of plate armor and the set bonuses are a nice, if small, defensive boost while leveling, and if you can find a good spot with a lot of undead, the extra attack power will come in handy.

I'd also highly recommend stocking up on healing and buff potions.

Learn from my mistakes: when I joined the game, I leveled sword and board. Don't do this unless you also happen to find watching paint dry an intellectually-stimulating exercise. Keep a sword and shield on hand to keep your skills maxed out for dungeon tanking, so you're not just uselessly mongo-flailing while trying to keep hate, but you should either use a strong two-hander or dual-wield while questing to maintain a reasonable kill speed.
    I'd agree on this, though if you want to tank I'd lean toward Arms a bit. Also, most of the good leveling weapons are 2H. But... eh. Spec what you enjoy.

If you were Alliance, I'd say run Deadmines and get Taskmaster's Axe off the first boss. Excellent for the level. Perhaps there's something equivalent from RFK? PUT FIERY on whatever weapon you have though, it's amazing at low levels (did about 15% of my DPS at ~20).

Cooking is nice, but don't sacrifice much leveling time for it. DO learn and keep First Aid up, though.

Keep your weapon up to snuff. I made the mistake of hanging on to Taskmaster's too long and it made the high 20s and 30 slower. When you can get into SM, do Armory for Ravager. If you have a high level friend, get their help on the short chain for Whirlwind Axe which is excellent. However, don't bother without a high level. Killing the trolls for the chain will take WAY too long for meh XP and you can't solo the level 40 elite at the end. But a 60 will make both trivial and WW Axe is well worth it then. Alternatively, buy something like Archaic Defender off the AH.

PS: Definitely look at the Fight Club Discord leveling-faq. NOT the leveling channel, the FAQ. Tons of good info there in a compact form. https://discord.gg/fightclub
    Last edited by clevin; 2020-06-25 at 05:42 PM.

Fight green level mobs

I have almost the opposite advice.
    For strict questing go 2h into arms, the slower the weapon the better. This is because you will be kiting mobs via hamstring.
    Charge>bs if it's not up>auto>hamstring>auto>rend>auto>heroic strike if Rage is above 40.
    To do this you'll need a swing timer addons. Kiting mobs allows you to only get hit when you hit the enemy, thus you take less damage without a dps loss, giving you less downtime.

Generally want to kill green mobs since warriors are the most gear dependent class.
    As Horde if you plan on pvping then go Orc or Undead.
    If tanking then go Tauren.
    If dps then go Orc, but if you aren't pushing high-end raids or pvp then all races are equally viable.

When you hit high-end gear then dual-wielding becomes better 2h for dosing, this is because hit chance. Pre-40 using a 1h is marginally worse damage than a 2h.

If you plan on tanking in dungeons while leveling, stick to 2h anyways, the damage deduction from a shield does not outweigh near 50% drop in your damage, often the highest in your group.

Edit: pre-40 fury is technically better but not by a lot, when you hit 40 then you'll go arms. If you do go Fury pre-40 you'll still be using a 2h.
    Last edited by lllBlackSunlll; 2020-06-29 at 11:44 PM.
    If curiosity killed the cat, why can't speculation kill you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I rarely kite. Downtime is not much of you keep level appropriate bandages around. Don't get me wrong, kiting is a good skill to have since it can get you out of tight situations, but I just keep some health pots and bandages around and even if I end up with 1/4 health, I can bandage and be back at 90%+ in 8 seconds.

A thing that's different about warrior is that the abilities you use change as you level up and gain new ranks. Rend is useful at low levels but much less so at higher ones. Once you hit 40 as Arms, you get Mortal Strike, for example, so I'll charge, Sunder once, MS, pool rage, second MS. Rend won't run long enough to be of much use.

Again, go read the Fight Club FAQ where they talk about this and math out the DPR (damage/rage). The short version, though, is that you don't want to get set in a given rotation because the 'best' rotation will change as you level up.

Oh... I'd go slow weapons simply because they're easy to find and hit hard. It's a little boring waiting for them to do something, but you can get good 2H weapons at nice intervals from instances/quests. This changes if you have 1+ 60s and gold is irrelevant a little. Do not go dual wield as you level. The miss penalty is... no. just don't do it.
    Last edited by clevin; 2020-06-29 at 09:27 PM.

Level another class that can make money to 60 first so you can feed top-end gear to your warrior as you level. Leveling in garbage gear as a warrior is absolutely pulling teeth.

Also I most definitely wouldn't spec fury or dual-wield while leveling, you'll miss constantly and it can be incredibly annoying while trying to kill runners, etc. also don't waste rage on execute, as fun and satisfying as it can be while leveling it's a lot of rage blown when you could be using that rage to refresh battle shout, opening up on another mob, etc.
    Last edited by gpunk; 2020-06-29 at 10:35 PM.

Get the staff from WC; either last boss drop, living root or from the main quest.

Get WW axe at level 30...Just do it.

Learn to not use Heroic strike, but sunder instead. Maybe even no rend.

First aid 300 ASAP.

Don't take IBS from winning AV - Buy say lord alexanders axe at 51 and get the crossbow.

You dont need to buy good BOE's, but it helps. Especially save up for lionheart helm, devilsaur + black dragonscale. Using all these items at level 56 is great.

Also see here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=827592868
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Just tank dungeons as fury/arms. So many groups dieing for a tank. It is fast, you get nice gear from it and you often get free food from mages.

After having levelled 8 warriors to 60 in various ways, dual-wield fury is easily the best way to go from 20-60. Main reason being that Heroic Strike negates the miss penalty from dual-wielding, even for your off-hand attacks. Most important part of your gear is always going to be your weapons, not necessarily for DPS, but more so for speed. You'll always want as SLOW main-hand as possible, to consume as little rage-per-minute as possible (so you can spam it non-stop). You'll want a fast off-hand ideally for more rage via Unbridled Wrath, but DPS is more important here.
    Last edited by Grimreaper; 2020-07-06 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestraza View Post
    Just tank dungeons as fury/arms. So many groups dieing for a tank. It is fast, you get nice gear from it and you often get free food from mages.
    Yup, pretty much this right here. Only way to level period. If you are Horde even better you can join Melee Cleave groups.