Looking for headphones for gaming

Hello,

I'm looking for some new headphones for gaming, but I don't know much about those, so maybe someone here may help me here.

I used a lot of different headsets in the past but all of them broke in less than 1.5 year, and that starts to annoy me. Currently I'm using https://www.speedlink.us/en/Gaming/M...SET-BLACK.html and they are fine for my needs but seems that they stopped working on one side and now I have to replace, hopefully with something that will last longer.

So what I'm looking for?

1. Must have mic
    2. Must be durable, not some fragile crap which will stop working after falling from table, or being squeezed in a backpack
    3. Comfortable and cover whole ears
    4. Must NOT have noise cancelation or insulation. This may seem weird, but I really need to hear what's happening around me
    5. Max $100
    6. decent quality of sound (no idea how to measure that), not necesarily super duper best
    7. preferably wireless (I think most of my issues with durability are caused by the cord which twines around stuff and causes the headphones to fall down sometimes)
    8. replacable earpads
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't have the greatest experiences with wireless headsets at that price point, but some of the slightly higher budget Steelseries could work. Under $100 and wired I have good experience with the HyperX line. I don't travel with them, so can't speak to the durability, but I've had my HyperX Cloud II for four years now.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to love Logitech G430 headsets, but tey would usually break within a year for pretty much the reason you described, the cable pulling it places or something.

WIll second HyperX, I've been using a HyperX Cloud Flight for about 8 months now and absolutely love it. It's comfortable, sounds good, and the range on it is amazing as well. Only real issue is that it's above the $100 mark, but I probably spend less on it than $40 Logitehs every 6-8 months.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

If you need Wireless i would go for the Corsair Void.
    https://www.newegg.com/carbon-corsai...82E16826816142

HyperX Cloud II

For your budgetary limitations, the VOID is about as good as youre going to get.

Its got good sound (about as good as wireless can get), the mic is decent, and theyre comfortable.

I used one for a while but gave it to my wife when her G930 finally died when i realized that i really didnt use a headset that much (as i have an office and dont need to worry about sound isolation).

They fit my giant head and ears quite well. Good battery life as well.

I dont think you can get decent true wireless (not bluetooth wireless) for $100. I would go for Steelseries Arctis 1/7. HyperX Cloud Flight are good albeit pretty expensive, but their software is a total piece of shit, I doubt it will get better. Steelseries' only problem is that those are really not suited for music at all. Corsair I'm not too sure about, I know their first batch was pretty bad. They have another top end one out now (Virtuoso) but I havent had anyone whose opinion I trust to use those, they're more towards $200 tho. If you're ever thinking about Razer just pass along.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    If the issue is the cable, you can just buy decent Sennheiser (or alternative decent brand) headphones with detachable cable and that's it.

I also was buying gaming shit for years that ended up breaking after half a year (Roccat, my personal shit record - hinges broke within months, because their engineers thought that plastic hinges are a great idea) to year usually because of cable.

Then about 4 years ago I bought Sennheiser HD8 and I still use them to this day, only replaced earpads couple of times. Cable is indestructible and you get 2 of those included in package, detachable ofc. They are also mostly metal, so they don't break and they also have full metal hinges for portability. And of course sound is amazing, no "gaming"" shit is close there.

Moral of the story - splurge 300 bucks one time and enjoy quality sound and headphones that last years, instead of re-buying same Chinese garbage that sounds like shit every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    If the issue is the cable, you can just buy decent Sennheiser (or alternative decent brand) headphones with detachable cable and that's it.

I also was buying gaming shit for years that ended up breaking after half a year (Roccat, my personal shit record - hinges broke within months, because their engineers thought that plastic hinges are a great idea) to year usually because of cable.

Then about 4 years ago I bought Sennheiser HD8 and I still use them to this day, only replaced earpads couple of times. Cable is indestructible and you get 2 of those included in package, detachable ofc. They are also mostly metal, so they don't break and they also have full metal hinges for portability. And of course sound is amazing, no "gaming"" shit is close there.

Moral of the story - splurge 300 bucks one time and enjoy quality sound and headphones that last years, instead of re-buying same Chinese garbage that sounds like shit every year.
    Wireless headset for gaming is a true gamechanger, there's no need to discount it, it's not about the cable breaking, it's about it existing. It's for sure on my list of things to splurge for, just dont have $200 to splurge right now.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Thanks for all the answers. I think I will reconsider the wireless headphones, it seems all of them are so expensive that it would be cheaper to just buy headphones I currently have 3-4 times, which would probably be more durable anyway.

Is there anything those HyperX Cloud II or Corsair VOID are better at than what I have currently?
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure just about anything is going to be better than a "Speedlink Maxter". I've honestly never heard of the brand (maybe its a non-US thing?)

That said, for wireless for around $100 your best bet is going probably a Cooler Master MH670, or SteelSeries Arctis 7, but both could hit around the $115-125 range.

I used to buy Logitech G430's because I liked them, and yes.. .Buying 3-4 of them for ~30 or so each is 'cheaper' but you also have to deal with them breaking.. Reordering.. breaking... reordering. Or you can just spend a bit more on a good pair that lasts years. I'm happy with the Cloud FLight because it is soooo much more comfortable.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm pretty sure just about anything is going to be better than a "Speedlink Maxter". I've honestly never heard of the brand (maybe its a non-US thing?)

Buying 3-4 of them for ~30 or so each is 'cheaper' but you also have to deal with them breaking.. Reordering.. breaking... reordering. Or you can just spend a bit more on a good pair that lasts years. I'm happy with the Cloud FLight because it is soooo much more comfortable.
    Yeah, after checking speedlink website it seems to be Germany based company.
    In local shops my current speedlink headphones are 2x cheaper than wired HyperX Cloud II
    Hmm if noone is familiar with speedlink around here, than I guess it would be hard to make a comparison

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Yeah, after checking speedlink website it seems to be Germany based company.
    In local shops my current speedlink headphones are 2x cheaper than wired HyperX Cloud II
    Hmm if noone is familiar with speedlink around here, than I guess it would be hard to make a comparison
    I haven't heard of them. But the reviews I could find are overall positive.