Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    "I'll get you next time, Gadget!"

Slightly confused as to why the warden is acting like such a child.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    "A cinematic is supposed to be played when he reaches 10% health..."

Let me save you all a lot of time wondering what it might be.

Nathanos: "Enough!!!" *somehow stuns a hundred of the world's most powerful mortal heroes and then makes a daring escape with his cape flapping in the wind*
    Pretty much this. He'll be in the final raid as the boss just before Sylvanas, and will have a death that is supposed to be emotional due to his undying devotion to Sylvanas, but will instead incite thousands of WoW players to dance around their computers as he takes his last breath.

Jesus.. so not only was a fucking ranger for some reason elevated to a worldboss, akin to giant monsters often of ages past, no, he will most likely also not die..?!

There is having a self-insert and then there is felating one self in public with world wide live coverage.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snackfeat View Post
    <snip>
    Just gonna leave this here
    A hard reality to a lot of fantasy especially in books is the authors ability to insert themselves into it as a character or at least apart of themselves so they can get a better grasp of a narrative and use their own political beliefs and help see how things are in the story.

Tolkein himself compared the tale of Beren and Lúthien to his own life and his wife Edith. His very grave is marked ‘Beren’, and Edith’s bears the name ‘Lúthien’.

George Lucus has also said to have had Luke Skywalker be a self insert of himself.

I can guaran-damn-tee you this is very common among writers. This has been a common artistic device since at least the European Renaissance.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    A hard reality to a lot of fantasy especially in books is the authors ability to insert themselves into it as a character or at least apart of themselves so they can get a better grasp of a narrative and use their own political beliefs and help see how things are in the story.

Tolkein himself compared the tale of Beren and Lúthien to his own life and his wife Edith. His very grave is marked ‘Beren’, and Edith’s bears the name ‘Lúthien’.

George Lucus has also said to have had Luke Skywalker be a self insert of himself.

I can guaran-damn-tee you this is very common among writers. This has been a common artistic device since at least the European Renaissance.
    I guess you're right, but the case of the Nathanos self insert is especially cringe

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess you're right, but the case of the Nathanos self insert is especially cringe
    It can be, its also a case of if its done well or not too, most would complain WoW does not :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, if that bitch Jaina was able to "lol nope" at 10% in the raid it's only fair that Nathanos gets to ire the players as well. We'll trade Nathanos' death for Jaina and Genn though.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post

Self inserts are fine. But a completely overpowered self insert, that now gets elevated to World Boss level is a clear sign of megalomania. Danuser has simply lost his mind. He behaves like the Dungeonmaster in D&D that plays his in own adventure and "just coincidentally" finds all the best loot, all the important clues and gets the best rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbleedinggums View Post
    Hey, if that bitch Jaina was able to "lol nope" at 10% in the raid it's only fair that Nathanos gets to ire the players as well. We'll trade Nathanos' death for Jaina and Genn though.
    Speak for yourself. I'd give up the chance to kill Jaina and/or Genn if the Alliance would just kill this ass for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    Speak for yourself. I'd give up the chance to kill Jaina and/or Genn if the Alliance would just kill this ass for me.
    “You will learn the value of silence, or I will teach it to you.”

So exactly why is it that people hate Nathanos, other than those same people clearly lacking any ability to understand character dynamics or any literary knowledge whatsoever?
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

So exactly why is it that people hate Nathanos, other than those same people clearly lacking any ability to understand character dynamics or any literary knowledge whatsoever?
    We are jealous of undead boobies.

- - - Updated - - -

Comparing one of the most if not THE most powerfull mage currently in wow to nobody undead ranger.
    But hey, Nathanos already fight avatar of gods so whatever.

I honestly think some people are just upset that he gets to spend so much time with Sylvanas and they get jealous

"WTF WHY IS HE A PRE PATCH BOSS TATS WHERE DARGONS USED TO BE REEEEEEEEEE" Like we've never killed or fought prominent story characters in pre-patch scenarios right? The self insert complaints are a little silly as well. he's designed to piss you off and irritate you for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Harper View Post
    Does anyone actually care about Nathanos?
    I do because Nathan's are awesome lol

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    This poor franchise. At least let it die with dignity, you monsters.

Metzen is turning in his bed right now.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

Steve "Nathanos" Danuser will drop Sylvanas' soaked panties as loot?

Quote Originally Posted by Halfaheart View Post
    The self insert complaints are a little silly as well. he's designed to piss you off and irritate you for a reason.
    Yes, there is absolutely no basis in reality that Narthanos Blightcaller is the self-insert of Steve "Nathanos-don't-call-me-Narthanos" Danuser.

It's frankly admirable the task you've set for yourself in defending this.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Self inserts are fine. But a completely overpowered self insert, that now gets elevated to World Boss level is a clear sign of megalomania. Danuser has simply lost his mind. He behaves like the Dungeonmaster in D&D that plays his in own adventure and "just coincidentally" finds all the best loot, all the important clues and gets the best rewards.
    He was a world boss in Vanilla, you needed a raid to kill him before he got enhanced so why wouldn't that still be true today?

You not liking the character isn't evidence that he has no right to be powerful, he is an immortal ranger lord, why should your LFR geared toons be able to solo him?

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Quote Originally Posted by h8ryan View Post
    He was a world boss in Vanilla, you needed a raid to kill him before he got enhanced so why wouldn't that still be true today?

You not liking the character isn't evidence that he has no right to be powerful, he is an immortal ranger lord, why should your LFR geared toons be able to solo him?
    Because he's a self insert and that's put him in the bad side of a lot of people.

I'm not saying there isn't a case for him to be a world boss or not because I don't think that's the root of the problem, I'm just being realistic and at this point the character's reception has been tarnished enough by its status as an obvious self insert favorite that it would be better to reign him back in a bit to let the negative opinion simmer down. See Thrall.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfaheart View Post
    I honestly think some people are just upset that he gets to spend so much time with Sylvanas and they get jealous

"WTF WHY IS HE A PRE PATCH BOSS TATS WHERE DARGONS USED TO BE REEEEEEEEEE" Like we've never killed or fought prominent story characters in pre-patch scenarios right? The self insert complaints are a little silly as well. he's designed to piss you off and irritate you for a reason.
    Thank you! I thought that whole point was just being lost on everyone else. People seem to think that if a character they don't like is in the story, that "oh they're being portrayed terribly and should be killed off! How dare they keep that person in still!" First character that pops to mind is Professor Umbridge in Harry Potter. She was a wonderful villain to just completely loathe and hate.

With Nathanos, he will always look down on you regardless of whatever achievements you may have accomplished.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    Because he's a self insert and that's put him in the bad side of a lot of people.

I'm not saying there isn't a case for him to be a world boss or not because I don't think that's the root of the problem, I'm just being realistic and at this point the character's reception has been tarnished enough by its status as an obvious self insert favorite that it would be better to reign him back in a bit to let the negative opinion simmer down. See Thrall.
    "Hey guys, so we need to progress the story and it's clear that Nathanos is a major culprit in pushing the story to Shadowlands, what should we do for him in game to help push the story?"

"No guys, don't add him in. Some idiots will think he's a self insert and whine about how he should magically disappear in the story even though it makes no sense. Just forget he ever happened like the Vindicaar and I'm sure the fanbase will completely understand!"
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."