Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipebomb View Post
    That is the case.
    No, I'm talking about the garage Bubba was in last year. This was a new garage for him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    It actually kind of is. That is a pretty normal rope handle to tie. I haven't seen it on a garage door, but very similar loops are used when rock climbing and rappelling, and I do understand the use on a garage door. The idea behind the secured loop is so you can hook it on something, and physically secure the door, even if someone hits the electric closing mechanism, the door won't come down.

From all evidence, it was innocuous. However, it clearly isn't standard, because that wasn't recognized as normal, and it is entirely appropriate to be concerned and investigate. No harm, no foul, everyone should be happy that it wasn't a hate crime. People should stop insisting that it was, and likewise people should stop feeling vindicated because this particular event wasn't. Hate crimes are still a real thing, this just wasn't one of them.
    It is a pretty common knot for people who don't know any other knots but nooses, for sure.

And no, the knots used for climbing aren't similar unless your knowledge of knots ends at hurr knot have loop and go tight.

Don't try to mislead people. If it isn't a big deal you shouldn't have to deceptively downplay it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    They couldn't have just looked at the garage door right next to them and see a "noose" hanging there as well. Almost everyone of those doors have it tied like that. They saw what looked to be a noose and saw an opportunity to be outraged.
    Almost everyone? Where’s this picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Yuujin View Post
    It is a pretty common knot for people who don't know any other knots but nooses, for sure.

And no, the knots used for climbing aren't similar unless your knowledge of knots ends at hurr knot have loop and go tight.

Don't try to mislead people. If it isn't a big deal you shouldn't have to deceptively downplay it.
    I mean, I can definitely see this from both sides. If you look at it, especially when the door is up... damn, that's a noose hanging there. At the same time, that "noose" is just a handle to pull a garage door open and closed.

It's perfectly reasonable to report that to NASCAR, and to investigate it. The justification is also perfectly reasonable, and makes sense.

In the end, all the guys in the garage will have a funny story to tell over drinks for the rest of their lives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Jussie Smollett 2.0, who would've thought.
    Clearly it wasn't a hoax perpetuated, or even reported by, Bubba Wallace, so try again.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.

Not sure what side you think I am on here. Do you even understand the concept of nuance? I am wholeheartedly supporting an immediate investigation and taking it extremely seriously. I am also in favor of accepting the results of the investigation, and understanding the knot in question did not have any sort of racist intent or message.

Your approach to racial sensitivity is just as ham-fisted and close minded as Pipebomb's, fortunately you are on the more correct side of it, although just as lacking in actual understanding. Tying a loop knot is not a racist act. Using that knot as a garage door opener is also not racist. Hanging a Noose on the garage door of a Black man is racist. If you see such a thing, it is entirely appropriate to assume it is the later until proven otherwise, but once it is proven otherwise, move on with your damn life and stop acting offended over a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I mean, I can definitely see this from both sides. If you look at it, especially when the door is up... damn, that's a noose hanging there. At the same time, that "noose" is just a handle to pull a garage door open and closed.

It's perfectly reasonable to report that to NASCAR, and to investigate it. The justification is also perfectly reasonable, and makes sense.

In the end, all the guys in the garage will have a funny story to tell over drinks for the rest of their lives.
    A noose is a noose though and it is always entertaining to hear people act like it's a go to knot for anything other than a hanging. They didn't even teach us how to tie nooses in scouts when I was growing up. You didnt need them, there were better knots.

Beyond that, there doesn't appear to have been any intentional wrong doing on either side.

A noose is a noose though and it is always entertaining to hear people act like it's a go to knot for anything other than a hanging. They didn't even teach us how to tie nooses in scouts when I was growing up. You didnt need them, there were better knots.

Beyond that, there doesn't appear to have been any intentional wrong doing on either side.
    It's not a go-to knot, but not everyone is an expert in knots. There are better knots, but not everyone is a Boy Scout.

In the end, the person tying the know probably wanted to make the loop and rope big enough to grab. Sure, a noose wouldn't be the optimal knot, but it would suffice. Also, I cannot tell if it's an actual noose, or just a big ass knot (I don't know the exact definition of what a noose is regarding loops). In the end, it has to be a knot that doesn't slip (so, not an actual noose), and one that can be easily grabbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It's not a go-to knot, but not everyone is an expert in knots. There are better knots, but not everyone is a Boy Scout.

In the end, the person tying the know probably wanted to make the loop and rope big enough to grab. Sure, a noose wouldn't be the optimal knot, but it would suffice. Also, I cannot tell if it's an actual noose, or just a big ass knot (I don't know the exact definition of what a noose is regarding loops). In the end, it has to be a knot that doesn't slip (so, not an actual noose), and one that can be easily grabbed.
    I mean, just as likely someone thought a noose hanging from their garage door when it was opened would be hilarious, right? I'm not even implying it was racially motivated either.

Everyone knows it's funny to dress up as a spooky ghost to scare your neighbors. Just might not be the smartest move.

And they made due with the quantity of rope they had.

I mean, just as likely someone thought a noose hanging from their garage door when it was opened would be hilarious, right? I'm not even implying it was racially motivated either.

Everyone knows it's funny to dress up as a spooky ghost to scare your neighbors. Just might not be the smartest move.

Yes, that is also possible, because when it's hanging, it sure as shit looks like a noose.

But, in the end, there doesn't appear to be any racism behind this, so it's not a big deal... at all.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    He didn't see it. He didn't report it. He didn't announce it.

One of his crew members saw it, reported it to NASCAR officials, and NASCAR instantly announced it and brought in the FBI to get ahead of the story, seeing as NASCAR is pushing the anti-confederate flag thing pretty hard. If you've seen the pictures, it's tied exactly like a noose, not just a looped rope. Turns out it had been hanging there since at least October.

In other words, it's a mistake, not a hoax.

As one of my twitter follows said, "If your reaction to this is something other than relief that it wasn't a hate crime aimed at the sport's one major driver of color, then examine your motivations."
    Pretty much the thread.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Why would it be hilarious? What's funny about a noose? Practically speaking, it's not really a great knot to use for anything, nor a knot that's particularly impressive to tie.

...it is? Nobody has told me that this is funny. And I don't think I'd find it particularly funny if my neighbors randomly did this.

Nooses require more rope than a great many knots that achieve the same goal, with less rope needed and less time/effort spent tying it.

You're choosing a really, really weird hill to die on to defend nooses.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Why would it be hilarious? What's funny about a noose? Practically speaking, it's not really a great knot to use for anything, nor a knot that's particularly impressive to tie.

...it is? Nobody has told me that this is funny. And I don't think I'd find it particularly funny if my neighbors randomly did this.

Nooses require more rope than a great many knots that achieve the same goal, with less rope needed and less time/effort spent tying it.

You're choosing a really, really weird hill to die on to defend nooses.
    Edit: One page back is when I entered the conversation. It helps understand my position better.
    Last edited by Yuujin; 2020-06-24 at 04:13 PM.

Three pages back is when I entered the conversation. It helps understand my position better.
    Oh, so sarcasm. Went back partway to get context but didn't go back to that first post. Gotcha, that's a bit of egg on my face then.

from my understanding this is the noose (several sites had it but this was the best picture I could find so far).

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Oh, so sarcasm. Went back partway to get context but didn't go back to that first post. Gotcha, that's a bit of egg on my face then.
    I might not think it was racially motivated, but it is tiptoeing on "IT WAS JUST A PRANK BRO" level of braindead behavior that could have racially motivated under different circumstances but wasnt this time, therefore it should be accepted as perfectly normal and subsequently dropped.

I might not think it was racially motivated, but it is tiptoeing on "IT WAS JUST A PRANK BRO" level of braindead behavior that could have racially motivated under different circumstances but wasnt this time, therefore it should be accepted as perfectly normal and subsequently dropped.
    It still could be. In the similar way of high school basketball players chanting racist chants before games. While their motivation was strictly to attack black people, they just found it what... "funny"?

The noose could have almost been similar in that fashion. With a knowledge of the race implications in the back, but finding it funny, but not targeting anyone in particular. It's not totally uncommon.

Man, how can I say that without it sounding like I'm nation bashing.

You folks over there got some serious issues in your heads. I've used nooses sooo many times in my life... They're excellent for hanging things from the ceiling, like when I'm making bacon with my grandfather, or when we hang big bottles of wine in our basement.
    If ya'll getting upset over the noose two posts above me, that little mini thing that's supposed to be a garage handle sort of, consider taking a breather.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Man, how can I say that without it sounding like I'm nation bashing.

You folks over there got some serious issues in your heads. I've used nooses sooo many times in my life... They're excellent for hanging things from the ceiling, like when I'm making bacon with my grandfather, or when we hang big bottles of wine in our basement.
    If ya'll getting upset over the noose two posts above me, that little mini thing that's supposed to be a garage handle sort of, consider taking a breather.

We live in volatile times. Too easy to stir people's emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    They're excellent for hanging things from the ceiling, like when I'm making bacon with my grandfather, or when we hang big bottles of wine in our basement.
    Genuinely, I'm not trolling - this is a sincere question: I get hanging bacon, but why would you hang a big bottle of wine?