Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I am informed there will be no amazing 'wonder Rey' as she was born after The Emperor's death,"
    Wonder Rey can stay because star wars needs a powerful jedi couple and it would be nice to see them interacting without both of them being Palpatine's puppets

This is a rumor but a reset would be welcome, since the trilogy is bad fan fiction with a big budget...
    Why does this read like a QAnon conspiracy theory?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Why does this read like a QAnon conspiracy theory?
    Guy has been right before, so there is reason to take it seriously

I postet a link to the video in the Mandalorian Thread since it was the freshest Star Wars thread.
    Considering the not-selling toys, low selling of DVDs/BRs, and the internal fighting i would not be suprised if Disney decided, for purely economic reasons, to reset things.
    Like it was done with Star Trek and the J J Abrahams-timeline. Removing it from canon to the defunct extended universe into the Legends section.

Some will not like that decision, but the shareholders want to see a return of their investment, and SW has failed so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

Guy has been right before, so there is reason to take it seriously
    Are there any actual sources on this claim or is this just "rumours say x" clickbait bullshit?

I'm really hoping this turns out to by wishful nonsense. That "Room of Mirrors" idea sounds awful. It's always a bad sign whenever ANY series wants to introduce time travel to muck up the works. It forever exists as a tumorous plot hole, unless very strict rules are set on its usage.

If they really want to continue squeezing money out of the franchise, they don't need to flip the reset button already. It's entirely possible to make another trilogy without going anywhere near the Rey Saga. You DON'T NEED to stuff your project with characters or concepts from the other trilogies to be successful; the Mandalorian should have been proof of that. Just make sure you have an actual, cohesive vision this time, and even if different people end up working on different films, be sure that everyone is still on the same page throughout.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

The obsession with cinematic universes and continuity is getting ridiculous and this 'fix' theory sounds just as dumb as trying to put out a fire with oil. Yeah they crapped the bed with the trilogy but maybe it's time to move past the Skywalkers and make a good film and see where you can go from there.

It's just so fascinating to me that for all the popularity of Star Wars, we have 9 Skywalker-centric films and you could argue more bad ones than good ones.

My problem is creating alternate timelines. Like Gaidax noted, you can never undo that once you do it. And once you do it, nothing means anything and we'll just see story after story pumped out with absolutely no continuity to anything as they constantly create new timelines.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    The whole dimensions/timelines crap is a one way ticket, once you start with that - there is no going back, where as a simple couple hundred years jump forward would be just fine in case of Star Wars.
    The problem with doing a 200 year time jump, is that Star Wars doesn't have a massive following beyond the original trilogy. So if you want to tap into that "auto-billion $$" box office, you have to use the characters people are vested in and will pay to watch, regardless of what the story is about.

IMO, do a reset, put the Disney created stories in Legends, and start over. To be honest, I don't know how they would do it. We lost Carrie, and I can't imagine how much money it would cost to get Harrison back. So we'd have Mark, that seems a given, and I'm not sure who else. That said, I'd welcome a George Lucas created story, with a good screenwriter & director who know how to honor source material and fandom.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    The obsession with cinematic universes and continuity is getting ridiculous and this 'fix' theory sounds just as dumb as trying to put out a fire with oil. Yeah they crapped the bed with the trilogy but maybe it's time to move past the Skywalkers and make a good film and see where you can go from there.

It's just so fascinating to me that for all the popularity of Star Wars, we have 9 Skywalker-centric films and you could argue more bad ones than good ones.
    My argument is that we have 6 Skywalker-centric films, and the number of bad to good ones is about half and half. The final 3 were definitely Palpatine-centric, and considering Palpatine was the "Phantom Menace", you could argue that with the inclusion of the final trilogy, the entire saga becomes Palpatine-centric.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

I don't think erasing the new trilogy is worth the trouble. Just move on with their high republic idea. Redoing the trilogy won't really work with Carrie Fischer gone, Harrison Ford is done, and Mark Hamill is past his time to carry a franchise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Are there any actual sources on this claim or is this just "rumours say x" clickbait bullshit?
    Was spot on with leaks of RoS despite everyone calling them fake

Honestly get Dave Filoni and do a knights old Republic tv series. There is quite a fan base for the games, the story is enjoyable enough that casual fans would like, and it allows Disney to explore a fun Jedi/sith story that isn't Skywalker/Palpatine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Honestly get Dave Filoni and do a knights old Republic tv series. There is quite a fan base for the games, the story is enjoyable enough that casual fans would like, and it allows Disney to explore a fun Jedi/sith story that isn't Skywalker/Palpatine.
    I'm sure they are looking into that, but that's not really the question. Disney was always planning on doing stuff like this. The question for Disney investors is how do they pump out billion $$ blockbusters every 1-2 years (in addition to the TV shows, toys, books/comics, etc).

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

a reset is fine with me.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post
    a reset is fine with me.
    Same. General audience isn't going to pay money en masse to see the good video game stories re-told and what Disney has done to Star Wars has not raised its status above time travel tomfoolery.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    The problem with doing a 200 year time jump, is that Star Wars doesn't have a massive following beyond the original trilogy. So if you want to tap into that "auto-billion $$" box office, you have to use the characters people are vested in and will pay to watch, regardless of what the story is about.
    They can experiment with that.

The 200 years ballpark was mostly to retain world recognizable to movie fans. You'd still have various surnames of note popping up, the inevitable new Jedi order and new Sith would still be pretty young and have various growing pains and maybe things would get mixed up a tad, like that comic idea about Imperial Jedi Knights 100 years down the road and new new Empire being just one out of several superpowers and becoming much more normal under leadership of actually sane person you can get behind.

They could make a new Sith order who abolished the rule of two and took a chill pill, turning them in some sort of antiheroes or at least not full balls to the wall cackling Saturday morning cartoon villians.

They could conjure some new threat too in such a case like Rakata somehow emerging again and Jedi/Sith eventually combined struggle against them or any other new Force-sensitive species, because there are a lot aside from Jedi and Sith who are just as powerful if not more powerful even.

They could do a lot. Maybe they should do some sort of trial there with some short stories set after the trilogy just to test waters.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-06-30 at 09:46 PM.

Well it cant get worse, so might as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    This would be the dumbest shit ever. Dumber than dumb.
    Almost as dumb as quoting a huge post, only to add one line as your reply...

Back on topic:

I REALLY hope they don't reboot the trilogy. This has nothing to do with my opinions on the Disney Wars movies. Personally. I think they're deeply flawed, but I can watch them. Don't hate them anywhere near as much as many do, but I don't love them either. The biggest problem, IMO, was a lack of leadership and planning.

The reason why I don't want a reset, is because that will give every sad bastard that has spent every waking moment since these films came out railing against them every justification the need to KEEP doing shit like this. The moment that one company caves, and remakes a movie because the "Fans" complain enough, suddenly it becomes a valid way to act/react, and then no company will ever be safe again.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

redo all of them, well not a 'redo' redo, but a new generation. Same basic story, plot, skeletal structure. Do 4-6, then prequels, and so in 11-13 years, we can finally get 3 good sequels, because these were shit.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    The reason why I don't want a reset, is because that will give every sad bastard that has spent every waking moment since these films came out railing against them every justification the need to KEEP doing shit like this. The moment that one company caves, and remakes a movie because the "Fans" complain enough, suddenly it becomes a valid way to act/react, and then no company will ever be safe again.
    Technically, the Sonic movie set the precedent when it comes to fan backlash causing the final product to change and go back to the literal drawing board. Whether one likes it or hates it, it behooves companies to make products (in this case, movies) that their paying customers want. Customer backlash and response to products should cause creators to want to change for their customer base, assuming the critiques are warranted. In the case of Disney's Star Wars, there's more than enough to 'rail' against when it comes to the latest trilogy. The balance comes when you have to weight the opinions of the fan base versus what you want to create... and this last trilogy was mostly about what Disney wanted to make with very little interest in what the main fan base probably wanted.

Yes, a major issue with the trilogy was lack of a cohesive plan and sticking to it... but there was a plan that was executed, it just wasn't what most people want in a movie. 'The Force is female' T-shirts don't just make themselves, and points to why the trilogy was bound to not be universally received well: the plan was to push a message or agenda, not make a great movie trilogy. It's just a difference in world views held by the Disney execs and the average moviegoer, but Disney thinks everyone believes/thinks exactly what they do. If Disney was more invested in making great movies with their personal messaging being a distant second/third/fourth/etc. motivation, the movies probably would've been much better. Instead, Disney made terrible movies pushing agendas that have been told in way better movies to much greater effect, exactly because said better movies prioritized making a great experience for the audience over pushing agendas.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

The Reset is an even worse idea than The Last Jedi, and that's saying a lot.

Let Disney enjoy the scraps of Star Wars, they've burnt it down.