Thread: Masks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Considering I want people to stay away from me, I usually don't wear one except were required. Even the CDCs own website says people like me, who have asthma, shouldn't wear one. The funny part though, is their sources that they cite about cloth face masks all come to a single conclusion. Cloth face masks are barely better than nothing. Surgical masks are 3 times more effective and the cloth ones need a filter to get anywhere near as good. Oh, and a loose fit decreases its effectiveness by 60%.

So, I don't trust the general public with masks. I feel safer without one so they stay the heck away from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Considering I want people to stay away from me, I usually don't wear one except were required. Even the CDCs own website says people like me, who have asthma, shouldn't wear one. The funny part though, is their sources that they cite about cloth face masks all come to a single conclusion. Cloth face masks are barely better than nothing. Surgical masks are 3 times more effective and the cloth ones need a filter to get anywhere near as good. Oh, and a loose fit decreases its effectiveness by 60%.

So, I don't trust the general public with masks. I feel safer without one so they stay the heck away from me.
    People complaining about having to wear face masks is the dark mirror for men complaining about having to wear condoms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I have a box of small surgical mask for going into mini marts and small places then I have a couple boxes of N95 for the times I have to go into supermarkets.

I have gloves too for when I have to go into supermarkets.

I have access to about 32 million newspaper bags at work since we are a regional distributor of them so I use them for things like gas pumps and anything I have to quickly grab outside the car.

I almost ordered a hazmat suit in May, if god forbid I had to take a family member to the hospital. I kind of wish I pulled the trigger, but I guess my painters outfit, mask, gloves will have to do.

Got all my supplies in Feb-March before the shit hit the fan.

I can't imagine if WW2 broke out with today's population, could you imagine these little babies having to give up what they gave up during the war. Geeze.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

First, I just want to point out, that is NOT what the CDC website says. It says people who have trouble breathing. If you're an asthmatic and are constantly, literally, having trouble breathing, that means it's not under control and has nothing to do with masks.

My wife and two kids, mother and father in law all have asthma and have absolutely no issues wearing a mask.

Secondly, for fuck sake....wearing a mask (the kinds they're advocating for during this pandemic) is not about protecting yourself from other people, it's to protect other people from you. They're intended to catch and prevent particulates that you exhale from spreading far enough to get on or in people.

Considering I want people to stay away from me, I usually don't wear one except were required. Even the CDCs own website says people like me, who have asthma, shouldn't wear one.
    They did?

I don't see it on their asthma page they even go as far as to tell you to try it out at home to see if you can handle wearing a mask while breathing but do not state anywhere I can see not to wear them or "shouldn't wear one"

I have asthma and I know everyone's condition is different but I have had little to no problem at all wearing even a full N95 mask while shopping for over an hour and I am in the moderate category on inhalers, neb and steroids.

I do not think they ever made a blanket statement on asthma.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

I wear a mask whenever I enter an area with people.

If I'm walking down a street alone I won't, but any time there's people nearby I'll throw my mask on.

Currently I wear one that my girlfriend made for me, it fits snuggly without being too tight (I have another mask that legit causes my ears to bend painfully), and she made it so filters can be swapped in and out.

I am required to by law if I want to enter a store of any kind.

So, yes.

If I'm just walking around the street, I don't. I wear glasses, they get foggy constantly, it's infuriating.
    I have half a dozen of self made masks which I cut out of old tshirts. They look nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Secondly, for fuck sake....wearing a mask (the kinds they're advocating for during this pandemic) is not about protecting yourself from other people, it's to protect other people from you. They're intended to catch and prevent particulates that you exhale from spreading far enough to get on or in people.
    That's the whole problem right there, too many people don't give a fuck about others. If a diaper on their head would protect them 100% they'd wear one but a simple mask to keep their spittle away from fellow citizens is too much to ask obviously.

On topic: I am working at home most of the time, when I am at the office I don't wear one at my desk (only me in the room) but when I have to go somewhere else in the building of course I wear a mask. I think I was shopping twice since mid march, all hail food delivery drivers.

I dont wear mask, had to few times since i was entering government buildings but that was it. From what I hared i think virus has weakened a low, friends wives sister and her family had it few weeks ago, they said it lasted few days and that is it, they only found out they had it because they lost scent and taste for a day or two and that is it. No temperature, nothing just a lost of scent and taste....

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    I dont wear mask, had to few times since i was entering government buildings but that was it. From what I hared i think virus has weakened a low, friends wives sister and her family had it few weeks ago, they said it lasted few days and that is it, they only found out they had it because they lost scent and taste for a day or two and that is it. No temperature, nothing just a lost of scent and taste....
    It affects different people in different ways, the same as most other diseases/ sicknesses due to the wildly varying immune systems, and overall health of each individual.

And again, there are asymptomatic carriers: people who have the virus and can spread it to others. That's why every government agency around the world has been advocating for masks to be worn in public.

It's not that the virus has weakened, it's that the people you knew who had it were health and had strong immune systems. Not everyone is so lucky. How do they know they had it, by the way? did they get tested? many people don't, or can't because of test availability, which is why I ask.

7+ Year Old Account
    I got one of these. The only place I use it is indoors in public where there are the possibility of crowds (like stores). Outside, like in a park or something, where I will never be within 50 feet of someone else, no. A lot of people misunderstand what the masks are for though. They do not protect you from the virus. They keep you from spreading it if you do have it. The issue is, people can be completely asymptomatic and still carry it. And it's not like places like grocery stores can test everyone entering the store to see if they have it or not. So it makes sense to require them, to keep people from spreading it. If someone that has it goes in without a mask, they can spread it to the employees who have them (because the mask doesn't protect you from it).

Last edited by Stormspark; 2020-07-02 at 11:27 PM.

If I go outside just to get some fresh air, buy some food, no.

But if I go to an office building or need to meet a group of people, yeah... for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wear them because I'm not an asshat, and I understand they're fairly effective in limiting the spread of COVID19.

There's no reason not to wear them, they're proven to mitigate the spread of disease.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    They did?

I don't see it on their asthma page they even go as far as to tell you to try it out at home to see if you can handle wearing a mask while breathing but do not state anywhere I can see not to wear them or "shouldn't wear one"

I have asthma and I know everyone's condition is different but I have had little to no problem at all wearing even a full N95 mask while shopping for over an hour and I am in the moderate category on inhalers, neb and steroids.

I do not think they ever made a blanket statement on asthma.
    They said anyone who has issues breathing shouldn't wear one. Asthma reacts in different ways in different people. Though its generally accepted that if you have asthma, you shouldn't restrict air flow.

- - - Updated - - -

I have trouble breathing with my asthma. It impacts different people in different ways. Some will react poorly to suddenly having a restricted airflow. Others wont.

As for the other point, as the studies in the CDCs own page state, cloth masks are better than nothing, but should only be a last resort and should really have a filter of some type. Loose fitting ones decrease in effectiveness drastically.

A good mask can do exactly that, help Reduce. Most DIY masks are not the kind that will do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

They said anyone who has issues breathing shouldn't wear one. Asthma reacts in different ways in different people. Though its generally accepted that if you have asthma, you shouldn't restrict air flow.
    There have been several examples of basic cloth masks not restricting airflow, they just make your face moist and warm from the warm air and moisture being caught in the cloth. Masks with filters and more complex ones will, because they are actively filtering which restrict air flow.

I have trouble breathing with my asthma. It impacts different people in different ways. Some will react poorly to suddenly having a restricted airflow. Others wont.
    Then use a mask or facial covering that doesn’t restrict your airflow

As for the other point, as the studies in the CDCs own page state, cloth masks are better than nothing, but should only be a last resort and should really have a filter of some type. Loose fitting ones decrease in effectiveness drastically.
    You’re still talking about the effectiveness of protecting yourself, which is not the purpose of the masks they’re advocating for.

A good mask can do exactly that, help Reduce. Most DIY masks are not the kind that will do so.
    And.....helping reduce is bad? I’m not understanding what point you’re trying to make.

CDC website says to wear a mask, and goes in to specifics of why and what types. What part of their website is giving you the impression that their stance is “only wear good masks, otherwise don’t bother.”

It affects different people in different ways, the same as most other diseases/ sicknesses due to the wildly varying immune systems, and overall health of each individual.

And again, there are asymptomatic carriers: people who have the virus and can spread it to others. That's why every government agency around the world has been advocating for masks to be worn in public.

It's not that the virus has weakened, it's that the people you knew who had it were health and had strong immune systems. Not everyone is so lucky. How do they know they had it, by the way? did they get tested? many people don't, or can't because of test availability, which is why I ask.
    It did got weaker because death rate has slow down by a lot. They got tested, they got it from a relative that came to visit them from Germany. They got it few days later, they had same symptoms associated to the virus and few days later everything was normal.

Aww... thought this was about MASK;

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually use N95 ones, but sometimes surgical masks, depends on circumstances.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't wear masks.

Reason for it, I just don't remember it or have any lying around.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco
    I honestly don't wear masks.
    Reason for it, I just don't remember it or have any lying around.
    Now, try saying that again replacing the word mask with condoms. Sounds like a pretty lame excuse right? Same kind of theory ... go buy some and use them.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.