View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    10+ Year Old Account
    This whole Twitter thread has me drowning in schadenfreude.

Seems emblematic of Brexiteers who didn't think things through and are only now realizing they screwed themselves but can't admit they did it to themselves.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    This whole Twitter thread has me drowning in schadenfreude.

Seems emblematic of Brexiteers who didn't think things through and are only now realizing they screwed themselves but can't admit they did it to themselves.

Voting for Brexit was nothing but emotional thinking and not based on sound reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Voting for Brexit was nothing but emotional thinking and not based on sound reason.
    Same with Trump supporters.

Trump supporters and Brexiteers are cut from the same cloth.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

I was pro remain and it will cause unnecessary hardship in the UK in the long term, but comparing Brexiteers to trump supporters it isn't even in the same sport, especially those who are still going to vote for him again in November.

With Donald's track record he makes Boris look like a true worldclass statesman in comparison.

All you have to do is just repeat "Winning" over and over again as the Trumpsters nod their heads in agreement.

I miss Bercow as the speaker always entertaining. Lindsay Hoyle might be fun to watch too.

I just wonder if Scotland will get up in arms and just leave too.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Yeah, I mean, Denmark is relatively small, and is flanked by Norway on the north and the UK on the west, with the Faroe islands in between, so they're all going to have a huge impact on Denmark's fisheries. That said, the Faroe Islands are (kinda?) part of Denmark, so that should continue to be fine, and Norway seems to still like Denmark, so that'll be fine too.
    The fishing industry in Denmark is 0.5 percent of the economy. It employs 20k people. The worst case scenario in this sector for denmark is not something that would do that much harm, in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    So the "negotiations" ended a day earlier with Barnier looking fairly indignant. Honestly it is just a waste of everyone's time at this point
    The EU team knows all the well that this is all just a farce. But its important to keep up appearances and have the negotiation so long as the UK is showing up to talk.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

So the "negotiations" ended a day earlier with Barnier looking fairly indignant. Honestly it is just a waste of everyone's time at this point
    Well at least we dont have to move 200 people around every week thanks to covid. Not wasting too much money.

7+ Year Old Account
    The EU team are desperate for a deal that is why they keep turning up. If they could cope without the UK they would have walked away ages ago and they know the UK leaving is an existential crisis for the EU and can't hold it together without us/our money.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    The EU team are desperate for a deal that is why they keep turning up. If they could cope without the UK they would have walked away ages ago and they know the UK leaving is an existential crisis for the EU and can't hold it together without us/our money.
    I am waiting for the day when you will understand the difference between economy of a single country (which is not USA/China) versus half a continent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    I am waiting for the day when you will understand the difference between economy of a single country (which is not USA/China) versus half a continent.
    https://data.worldbank.org/indicator...name_desc=true
    Not that he'll read it, but.. Eh.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is morally wrong to allow a person to drown without offering help. That the drowning man refuses the help however is on him.

Anyone else noticed that @dribbles is using Dennis the Menace as his avatar, a character created in Dundee, Scotland. A city that voted 60% to Remain and held a vigil in mourning when we "left" the EU. Possibly a subliminal cry for help?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Bad chart I'm afraid. It is incorrect to compare as like for like right now the GDP of the EU with that of the US. The GDP of the EU is zero. That's right, zilch it has none unless you allow, like that chart does, the EU to pilfer Germany's GDP, steal France's, plunder Spain's GDP etc etc and combine it falsely as though it were one big unit claiming it all as its own.

It is not one nation like the US or China or the UK but a parasitical undemocratic organisation of political elites leeching money off the backs of 27 individual member nation states of which it comprises.

Sure it does have designs of becoming one big EU nation swallowing its component parts up, but it will never succeed as its individual proud members will peel away one by one, like the UK has, before that happens. Perhaps the EU will learn from its mistakes in their failed attempt to destroy the existence of the UK as a nation state, I doubt it.

Charts like that are a nonsense no better than an unturned set of tarot cards trying to predict a future which will never exist. I'd bet on France, Germany etc still being around individually in a 1000 years, but wouldn't give the EU 10 years as they push too hard and too fast against the national heritage and interests of their citizens.

28 becomes 27,26,25,24.....until there is nothing left of the EU mark my words.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Anyone else noticed that @dribbles is using Dennis the Menace as his avatar, a character created in Dundee, Scotland. A city that voted 60% to Remain and held a vigil in mourning when we "left" the EU. Possibly a subliminal cry for help?
    I'm with the fisherman Dennis of Dundee who can't wait to end the transition and take back control of their waters.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    It is also full of unemployed/unemployable drug addicts. Just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Bad chart I'm afraid. It is incorrect to compare as like for like right now the GDP of the EU with that of the US. The GDP of the EU is zero. That's right, zilch it has none unless you allow, like that chart does, the EU to pilfer Germany's GDP, steal France's, plunder Spain's GDP etc etc and combine it falsely as though it were one big unit claiming it all as its own.

It is not one nation like the US or China or the UK but a parasitical undemocratic organisation of political elites leeching money off the backs of 27 individual member nation states of which it comprises.

Sure it does have designs of becoming one big EU nation swallowing its component parts up, but it will never succeed as its individual proud members will peel away one by one, like the UK has, before that happens. Perhaps the EU will learn from its mistakes in their failed attempt to destroy the existence of the UK as a nation state, I doubt it.

Charts like that are a nonsense no better than an unturned set of tarot cards trying to predict a future which will never exist. I'd bet on France, Germany etc still being around individually in a 1000 years, but wouldn't give the EU 10 years as they push too hard and too fast against the national heritage and interests of their citizens.

28 becomes 27,26,25,24.....until there is nothing left of the EU mark my words.
    What the actual fuck are you talking about? EU is a single trading block, that is one of it's main purposes, so of course the GDP of member states are summed up.
    The fucking link even has a distribution between individual countries in the EU.

And Britain is going alone against that block, which is more than 5 times bigger. Stop insulting our intelligence, we can read and understand the charts pretty well.

Also, conspiracy theories are not allowed on this forum, as you obviously cannot remember that. Do I have to report you for "EU is stealing" tinfoil crap or you will remove it yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

I'm with the fisherman Dennis of Dundee who can't wait to end the transition and take back control of their waters.
    The Dennis of Dundee who went whaling until 1912 when the industry died as the Jute manufacturing industry (which relied on large amounts of whale oil) disappeared as cheaper cloth imports from India started to enter the economy from the end of the 19th century and make local production unprofitable?

That's a bit of a stretch, even for you. Your whale fishermen would be at least 140 years old...
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2020-07-03 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    The Dennis of Dundee who went whaling until 1912 when the industry died as the Jute manufacturing industry (which relied on large amounts of whale oil) disappeared as cheaper cloth imports from India started to enter the economy from the end of the 19th century and make local production unprofitable?

That's a bit of a stretch, even for you. Your whale fishermen would be at least 140 years old...
    Yes, the driving force of Dundee's economy in the 20th C was its textile industry. Even I vaguely knew that without having to google it.

And then you google it and it transpires the gradual decline of the jute industry was well-handled and there was full employment in the town, until the 1980s when Thatcher ended state support for industry.

This is the problem. The UK has a mature, service-based economy. LOL at the idiots who think catching a few additional herring in the North Sea is going to make up for the slump we will see post Dec 31st:

Total UK exports of services (excluding travel, transport and banking) rose by 14.3% in 2018 to £185.3 billion; imports of services increased by 17.0% to £92.1 billion.

By region, Europe continued to be the largest export and import markets of UK businesses in 2018, accounting for 51.4% and 56.2% respectively.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/businessindus...nservices/2018

I'm looking forward to a lot of vitriol being directed at whining, Brexit-voting fishermen including their representatives:

Bertie Armstrong, chief executive of the Scottish Fisherman’s Federation, told the Commons Brexit select committee that the fishing sector stood to see a doubling or more of its catch when Britain took back control of its waters.

He said the World Trade Organisation tariff on fish was between 5% and 10%, while the pound had dropped by almost 20% against the euro after the EU referendum.

“Let us not be frightened to death of tariffs at all: they may be consumed in the noise of currency fluctuation and some small tariff may not be disaster,” he said.

“We must very much change the rhetoric of ‘we must be in the single market, we must be in the single market.’ We don’t need a single market, we need an adequate market.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-fishing-chief

What a short-sighted cunt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Yes, the driving force of Dundee's economy in the 20th C was its textile industry. Even I vaguely knew that without having to google it.

And then you google it and it transpires the gradual decline of the jute industry was well-handled and there was full employment in the town, until the 1980s when Thatcher ended state support for industry.

This is the problem. The UK has a mature, service-based economy.
    LOL at the idiots who think catching a few additional herring in the North Sea is going to make up for the slump we will see post Dec 31st:

Total UK exports of services (excluding travel, transport and banking) rose by 14.3% in 2018 to £185.3 billion; imports of services increased by 17.0% to £92.1 billion.

By region, Europe continued to be the largest export and import markets of UK businesses in 2018, accounting for 51.4% and 56.2% respectively.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/businessindus...nservices/2018

I'm looking forward to a lot of vitriol being directed at whining, Brexit-voting fishermen including their representatives:

Bertie Armstrong, chief executive of the Scottish Fisherman’s Federation, told the Commons Brexit select committee that the fishing sector stood to see a doubling or more of its catch when Britain took back control of its waters.

He said the World Trade Organisation tariff on fish was between 5% and 10%, while the pound had dropped by almost 20% against the euro after the EU referendum.

“Let us not be frightened to death of tariffs at all: they may be consumed in the noise of currency fluctuation and some small tariff may not be disaster,” he said.

“We must very much change the rhetoric of ‘we must be in the single market, we must be in the single market.’ We don’t need a single market, we need an adequate market.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-fishing-chief

What a short-sighted cunt.
    Ding, ding, ding we have a winner!

The UK is highly reliant on others, for some absurd reason the conservatives in the UK have been gradually but effectively destroying their manufacturing industry. The automotive industry is going follow during this Brexit, even if we exclude tariffs that industry is reliant on moving parts from one factory to another to remain cost efficient and parts simply can't end up being stuck at border due to lack of a proper frame work on the UK side, if we include tariffs that's going to hurt the sales in an already highly competitive market and this was all before the corona crisis made the market crash, right after the industry took another large hit.

Cynics said that this brexit is simply an attempt to privatize institutes mostly to open up the way for politics and politicians becoming an even better way to become rich with very little effort. Guess they were right.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    What the actual fuck are you talking about? EU is a single trading block, that is one of it's main purposes, so of course the GDP of member states are summed up.
    The fucking link even has a distribution between individual countries in the EU.

And Britain is going alone against that block, which is more than 5 times bigger. Stop insulting our intelligence, we can read and understand the charts pretty well.

Also, conspiracy theories are not allowed on this forum, as you obviously cannot remember that. Do I have to report you for "EU is stealing" tinfoil crap or you will remove it yourself?
    The EU is not a single country, it was 28 now 27, unlike the US, China, or Britain. Your graph pretends by comparison that it is. It would have been much fairer to pick some random countries in the EU as comparables to the UK and show the graph in that case, I give you an example modified from your link containing almost half the remaining EU constituents which is much more realistic.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator...name_desc=true

You say you can read a graph well then please do so. I give you facts, you provide the conspiracies, report yourself.