Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Im afraid I cant see the bigger picture on cancelled tv shows/statues

I dont fully understand how cancelling T.V. shows and toppling over statues and writing Black Lives Matter on streets is going to systemically change whats wrong with America. As the title says, I am aware that maybe im too dumb or not informed enough to see the bigger picture here, but id like to see actual police reform and not a statue of George Washington being taken down.

Personally I dont care about statues, couldn't care if they were up or not, they dont catch my attention. But I see it as an arbitrary thing that wont have any kind of significant impact on society other than a random statue being gone. How does this impact a system thats flawed?

On cancelled T.V. shows and companies sending out emails saying something to the effect of : "We hear you and to show our support, we are going to change the name of this syrup" like, sure, change it but how does this stop another cop from murdering someone who should have just been given a citation?

Im sorry if im too dumb or inept, I just see this as pandering so these companies and elected officials can secure their spot in line when the majority goes out to vote or buy a certain product.

I make this post because I am desperately wanting someone to educate me. Maybe you see something I dont in all this.

Thanks for your time.

Mod Edit: This thread is closed.

"I don't care, and that must absolutely mean everyone else can't and shouldn't care about it too"

I dont fully understand how cancelling T.V. shows and toppling over statues and writing Black Lives Matter on streets is going to systemically change whats wrong with America.
    Did anyone seriously claim it's supposed to be actual reform, and not just something they do on the side in the meantime? If it's not mutually exclusive, why nitpick at what people do to vent their frustrations over a bad system?
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    "I don't care, and that must absolutely mean everyone else can't and shouldn't care about it too"

Did anyone seriously claim it's supposed to be actual reform, and not just something they do on the side in the meantime? If it's not mutually exclusive, why nitpick at what people do to vent their frustrations over a bad system?
    Because it would be a better use of time to aim that at something that will make significant change. And you obviously didn't read my post. I make it explicitly clear that I want to know WHY this is important, NOT that it doesn't matter to me so it shouldn't to anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post
    Because it would be a better use of time to aim that at something that will make significant change.
    Confused. Are you demanding that people should lead perfect lives without any waste whatsoever, even when you are wholly incapable of practicing what you preach?
    I make it explicitly clear that I want to know WHY this is important, NOT that it doesn't matter to me so it shouldn't to anyone else.
    And why does it have to be important? Would you take anyone who nitpicks at your inefficient ways at living your life seriously? Such as berating you for having vacations, taking a break from work, not volunteering for community service in 100% of your spare time etc.?

And you obviously didn't read my post.
    It's not so much that I didn't read what you said, but that you are a hypocrite who doesn't want to admit he's a hypocrite, so you make this about me rather than your own personal failings.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont fully understand how cancelling T.V. shows and toppling over statues and writing Black Lives Matter on streets is going to systemically change whats wrong with America. As the title says, I am aware that maybe im too dumb or not informed enough to see the bigger picture here, but id like to see actual police reform and not a statue of George Washington being taken down.

Personally I dont care about statues, couldn't care if they were up or not, they dont catch my attention. But I see it as an arbitrary thing that wont have any kind of significant impact on society other than a random statue being gone. How does this impact a system thats flawed?
    Statues like that are a celebration, and a statement. In the case of statues of Confederate generals, it's a celebration of the values of the Confederacy (the subjugation and enslavement of black people, and basically nothing else in any respect worth speaking about), and a statement that is intended to frighten and cow black Americans, and keep them "in their place".

They serve literally no other purpose, and provide no other "benefit".

On cancelled T.V. shows and companies sending out emails saying something to the effect of : "We hear you and to show our support, we are going to change the name of this syrup" like, sure, change it but how does this stop another cop from murdering someone who should have just been given a citation?
    If those shows celebrate the kinds of systems that are responsible for the worst abuses, then they are seen as supporting, at the very least by covering up and ignoring, those very same abuses.

A show like Brooklyn 99 (to pick an example) is going to rework how they approach things. They tossed the episodes for next season they had written (but not shot, so not a huge loss financially) because they wanted to address these things head-on rather than ignore them. Not surprising for a show that had one of its main characters be racially profiled and harassed within the show itself, and showing exactly how debilitating and dehumanizing it can be. But people aren't champing at the bit for the 99 to be "cancelled", either, largely because the cast and writers have bought themselves a lot of leeway in their proactive treatment of these kinds of things. I imagine a show like The Rookie might survive this relatively unscathed as well; Fillion's character was already set as a moral and ethical "heart" of the show, even when it brings him into conflict, and the rest of the cast are either presented as decent people with similar viewpoints, or their flaws are the core of the plot with the intent that they will either overcome them, or be presented as a villain because of them (in the case of corruption).

A show that's more about a cop doing "what it takes to get the bad guy", even if it's breaking the rules a bit? Yeah, that shit's going to get canned hard, and it should, because that's the kind of attitude that leads to officers like Chauvin murdering a man for daring to be black in his presence, and thinking he's entirely in the right and won't ever have to face justice and so he's confident enough to continue doing so in the middle of a crowded street while being filmed and he doesn't care.

That's a bad show that's making heroes out of villains and probably deserves to get canned as a result. Note that this is significantly different from a show like, say, Breaking Bad, where Walter White being a complete shitwreck of a human being is literally the entire point of the show.

Because theaters are closed, stadiums are closed, bars are closed, and breaking shit is cathartic.
    Does that answer your question?

Of course it doesn't do jackshit in support of their cause, it does quite the opposite, it pisses normies off instead of getting them to support their cause, but then that's not important, what IS important is breaking shit.

Martin Luther King got people's attention by dialogue and peace. If he advocated for sticking it to Whitey like current BLM does, no one would have given a shit when the police beat up people in the street.
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2020-07-06 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    Because theaters are closed, stadiums are closed, bars are closed, and breaking shit is cathartic.
    Does that answer your question?

Of course it doesn't do jackshit in support of their cause, it does quite the opposite, it pisses normies off instead of getting them to support their cause, but then that's not important, what IS important is breaking shit.
    Bigots like you love to pretend their sympathies would lie with the anti-racists if the latter did something slightly differently; and really, nobody but the bigots themselves buy that sort of self-deception.

Because "normies" have been so supportive over the decade+ of BLM protests when they haven't been tearing town statues of white supremacists or erected by white supremacists? Did they just need another few decades of peaceful protests before the "normies" would be on board?

And as an aside: Nobody is asking for Golden Girls episodes where the get mud masks to be taken away. For stuff like COPS? You bet your ass, because that show is a cesspit of hot-garbage that literally nobody should be supporting - https://theoutline.com/post/7531/run...=1&zi=s73eyrgi

It's always been a dangerously unrepresentative show for how policing actually works and has contributed to ruining the lives of both people who had done nothing wrong or others who committed misdemeanors that should not have followed them for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Because "normies" have been so supportive over the decade+ of BLM protests when they haven't been tearing town statues of white supremacists or erected by white supremacists? Did they just need another few decades of peaceful protests before the "normies" would be on board?

And as an aside: Nobody is asking for Golden Girls episodes where the get mud masks to be taken away. For stuff like COPS? You bet your ass, because that show is a cesspit of hot-garbage that literally nobody should be supporting - https://theoutline.com/post/7531/run...=1&zi=s73eyrgi

It's always been a dangerously unrepresentative show for how policing actually works and has contributed to ruining the lives of both people who had done nothing wrong or others who committed misdemeanors that should not have followed them for life.
    So...what...defund the police? Do you know what's gonna happen? The rich will hire private security, and the poor will be left to fend for themselves. The companies and major shops will move out of cities with defunded police because they don't want to lose money to crime. Truckers won't even enter the cities because they don't want to risk being robbed or highjacked.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

I dont think most people will be on board with a group of people chanting to kill cops.
    The movement is becoming irrelevant as more and more people see that liberal white people have hijacked the movement to further their own agenda.

So...what...defund the police?
    You do realize that "defunding" the police involves demilitarizing them, and not disbanding them? Way to broadcast your ignorance on this subject. Or maybe you already know, but you are misrepresenting it intentionally in a bad faith attempt to push your own bigoted narrative.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aurgjelme View Post
    I dont think most people will be on board with a group of people chanting to kill cops.
    I don't see the same outrage by your "most people" when a far bigger group of people are chanting bigotry towards minorities and to bring back slavery.

Which leads me to believe this "most people" you are referring to are actually a group of bigots just like yourself.

Because it would be a better use of time to aim that at something that will make significant change. And you obviously didn't read my post. I make it explicitly clear that I want to know WHY this is important, NOT that it doesn't matter to me so it shouldn't to anyone else.
    Have you ever been thrown into a room and told this is your room don't leave, but it turns out there is not much to survive on in this room. Then more people keep getting throw into this room until the room is so full everyone is fucking tired of it and they all bursts forth from this room yelling at the people who put them there.

Society is the room, the disfranchised are in the room. You can only be polite and take shit for so long before the only answer is outrage and public outcry.

You do realize that "defunding" the police involves demilitarizing them, and not disbanding them? Way to broadcast your ignorance on this subject. Or maybe you already know, but you are misrepresenting it intentionally in a bad faith attempt to push your own bigoted narrative.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see the same outrage by your "most people" when a far bigger group of people are chanting bigotry towards minorities and to bring back slavery.

Which leads me to believe this "most people" you are referring to are actually a group of bigots just like yourself.
    How exactly will demilitarizing the police make bad cops not choke people or be racists? Please explain.

7+ Year Old Account

No, I'm quite certain most sentient people would not approve of a message to kill cops, and to fry them like bacon.

Nice ad hominem buddy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Society hits different when you walk around constantly seeing people who would want to see you in chains glorified with statues and parks named after them.

It hits different when you add to the fact that a lot of these memorials only exist as a pushback to the Civil Rights Movement.

Society hits a little different when your identity is made a caricature for entertainment, more often than not playing the role of the jester, portrayed by someone who doesn't even identify with the character.

That syrup isn't as sweet when you blackface on a bottle.

You think, if these things openly exists and are accepted in society then how couldn't society be systemically racist? Messes with your head a little in a way I don't expect people who don't live life would truly understand.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

No, I'm quite certain most sentient people would not approve of a message to kill cops, and to fry them like bacon.

Nice ad hominem buddy.
    Yeah, that dude seems to be all "you're either with me or you're a RAHSIST!". You can't really have a dialogue with people who can only see in black and white.

10+ Year Old Account
    Martin Luther King got people's attention by dialogue and peace. If he advocated for sticking it to Whitey like current BLM does, no one would have given a shit when the police beat up people in the street.
    The only reason he got that attention is because of the backdrop of rioting and violence. His call for nonviolence would have fallen on deaf ears without it. A figure like Martin Luther King Jr. is absolutely reliant on figures like Malcolm X, who demonstrate the alternative to that nonviolence.

The civil rights movement of the '50s and '60s was absolutely and deeply rooted in violent resistance. Without that violence, it would never have gained any ground at all. King was critical in helping to provide an end to that violence, and deserves every bit of praise for doing so, but there would have been no reason to listen without that violence's existence in the first place.

Peacemakers can only exist when there is a war for them to end.

10+ Year Old Account

Nice ad hominem buddy.
    In 2020 we have cops casual talking about war with peaceful protesters while taking breaks in between kicking their ads and people still want to cry about that chant.

Fragile.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    In 2020 we have cops casual talking about war with peaceful protesters while taking breaks in between kicking their ads and people still want to cry about that chant.

Fragile.
    You mean the peaceful protesters who riot, loot, tear down statues and form criminal zones?

10+ Year Old Account
    So...what...defund the police? Do you know what's gonna happen? The rich will hire private security, and the poor will be left to fend for themselves. The companies and major shops will move out of cities with defunded police because they don't want to lose money to crime. Truckers won't even enter the cities because they don't want to risk being robbed or highjacked.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_blue_line

Boot leather must really be delicious or something, I dunno.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.