Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    So basically sanctions, because Chinese goverment have a hand in the moneypot and said pot would be smaller in case of ban in States.

Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    I also love to speak in absolutes. Everything is either good or evil.
    We can make an exception for CCP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    TikTok should actually be banned and their should be better regulation when it comes to Chinese (all apps) what spyware. The US is terrible when it comes to data protection. if anything the apps should be forced to adhere to a standard.

With that said, I don't trust the current administration to use such a policy as a whole gesture.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, only Americans companies should be allowed to sell all our data!

But on a serious note, its funny how many free speech warriors support those bans.
    Too be fair, Congress does come down on Facebook. Any sort of proper regulation ends up getting blocked/Facebook brings in so much revenue that it shakes off its fines.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    Censorship is censorship.

And why not ban facebook for the same reason while we are it?
    Sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    I would be fine with this. It it hurts the CCP then it is always a good thing.
    Why would it hurt them? the US has horrible privacy protections there's a rather long list of companies begging to sell them the data.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    So basically sanctions, because Chinese goverment have a hand in the moneypot and said pot would be smaller in case of ban in States.

We can make an exception for CCP.
    Can we then also make it one for the US? Or why is it okay that Facebook/twitter etc.. sell all your data to whoever wants it, but tiktok needs to get banned? Atleast the data will only stay in China.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Well one thing for sure is that the CCP is fucking evil. No go deflect
    And that means doing anything that hurts them, no matter who it effects, is okay now?

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    This would be China-style censorship.
    We're supposed to be above that (but there is something to be said about being inflexible with principles and values and how it calcifies a nation).
    Don't worry the constitutional patriots will be here to say how bad this is. Oh wait the orange cheeto cucks only care about the 2nd ammendment to that thing. And only the part about the right to a gun under the false premise of stopping a tyrannical regime. Not the well regulated part nor that it was conceived to be able to call the citizens to protect from foreign invaders. Every other part of the constitution cam burn according to them. Well, at least that's how they come off.

Can we then also make it one for the US? Or why is it okay that Facebook/twitter etc.. sell all your data to whoever wants it, but tiktok needs to get banned? Atleast the data will only stay in China.
    No no no, no deflections about the evil bad USA and how they do things too.
    We are talking about China and CCP, do not try to use the older deflection in the Russia's playbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Do not have any issue if the US does. After all, they ban some stuff there too. Wouldn't be banning anything beneficial. And look at the what YouTube and Twitter bans.
    Why on earth are you connecting a potential ban of an app that aggressively spies on users for national security reasons with platform removing people who violated their rules?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    No no no, no deflections about the evil bad USA and how they do things too.
    We are talking about China and CCP, do not try to use the older deflection in the Russia's playbook.
    This is about the US doing it, its relevant so suck it up. But I suppose that gets in the way of US cheerleading.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Internet is the final frontier this is well over due. This should be less about censorship and more about privacy and security.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

This video probably explains best why the US is looking at banning it.
    Remember, Trump doesn't even listen to national security briefings. He has no clue what is or isn't a national threat, nor does he care, he only cares about his own image:

https://www.reddit.com/r/chapotrapho...miliar_chapos/
    I have a degree in political science as well. I'm glad that I learned so much from a fellow political scientist through a 50 second video where they do not actually establish any credentials, do not provide any sources for anything to support their arguments, and largely just rely on the usual, "OH LOOK SOMETHING THAT I AGREE WITH, LET ME UNCRITICALLY SHARE IT!" mentality of the internet.

Maybe...

We know the Chinese government is farming mountains of data on Americans for intelligence reasons, and have been doing this for a while - https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/securit...-just-n1134411

And that Tiktok has had security flaws, which happen, as well as exploit security flaws within phones, which is less normal for "legitimate" apps - https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoff.../#af79611d61ec

And those flaws are still being discovered, and are coincidentally the kinds of flaws that allow "hackers" to gain increased access to personal information from your device - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/08/t...ity-flaws.html

Your sources continue to be nothing short of, "That guy on the corner who offered to sell me a dime bag. He's super worldly and very legit."

That said, just because the sources you choose to believe are called: Forbes, or NYTimes, doesn't make them any less "That guy on the corner who offered to sell me a dime bag. He's super worldly and very legit."
    Yes, it does. I mean, I could create a slick looking video about how the world is controlled by lizard-people and would that be equally as valid as something from the NYT or Forbes?

It's because of my own academic and professional experience that I was taught not to trust them. They're very US-centric sources influenced by financial interest groups, part of which the US military industrial complex, who stand to gain much from making people falsely afraid of cyber-threats and foreign interests.
    Good thing all they're doing is largely reporting on what security experts actually looking at the app are finding.

Your sources continue to be garbage. Just "trust" that Apple and Google will protect all your data? That no malicious apps get through? That major apps haven't been found to have gaping security holes? That outside agents haven't been found to exploit these?

I mean, sure, trust the attractive girl who draws nice to inform you about complex issues in a 50 second video if you want. But you'll be no better than the folks who think Rush Limbaugh's word is trustworthy.

Interesting.

Facebook is ok
    Tiktok is not

Tiktok is bad because it's a "Chinese spy app" but it seems like we've all forgotten what Snowden told us. From my perspective, Facebook is just the same in regards to its data gathering greed and the US with the abuse of their intelligence agencies is hardly different to China. Facebook, and with it Insta or Whatsapp, or Tiktok or Twitter... All the same shit for me.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Interesting.

Facebook is ok
    Tiktok is not

Tiktok is bad because it's a "Chinese spy app" but it seems like we've all forgotten what Snowden told us. From my perspective, Facebook is just the same in regards to its data gathering greed and the abuse of their intelligence agencies. Facebook, and with it Insta or Whatsapp, or Tiktok or Twitter... All the same shit for me.
    Because Facebook isn't an arm of the US government, and the US spying on its own citizens is less of an "issue" for...well...the US government.

I don't get why people keep comparing the two. While they (and a great many companies) are engaged in massive data harvesting, the ways in which they go about it, where the data gets sent, and what they do with that data are the issue here. Domestically, the US doesn't want foreign countries spying on US citizens.

Little different than China blocking Facebook, which they've done for around a decade IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Because Facebook isn't an arm of the US government, and the US spying on its own citizens is less of an "issue" for...well...the US government.

I don't get why people keep comparing the two. While they (and a great many companies) are engaged in massive data harvesting, the ways in which they go about it, where the data gets sent, and what they do with that data are the issue here. Domestically, the US doesn't want foreign countries spying on US citizens.

Little different than China blocking Facebook, which they've done for around a decade IIRC.
    You're misunderstanding me. I'm confused about the outrage, not about a possible ban. All these apps are spy apps, and according to the Snowden leaks Facebook never had to consent to a data search anyway. Likewise, I believe Tiktok kinda when they say they don't provide China with their data. China simply provides itself with it.

So I'd say ban them all for all I care. But that would require our governments to quit being massive hypocrites

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting.

Facebook is ok
    Tiktok is not

Tiktok is bad because it's a "Chinese spy app" but it seems like we've all forgotten what Snowden told us. From my perspective, Facebook is just the same in regards to its data gathering greed and the US with the abuse of their intelligence agencies is hardly different to China. Facebook, and with it Insta or Whatsapp, or Tiktok or Twitter... All the same shit for me.
    That is a good point. And Facebook and YouTube, are run by some very rich politically active people. Who certainly lean toward a certain political affiliation.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

You're misunderstanding me. I'm confused about the outrage, not about a possible ban. All these apps are spy apps, and according to the Snowden leaks Facebook never had to consent to a data search anyway. Likewise, I believe Tiktok kinda when they say they don't provide China with their data. China simply provides itself with it.

So I'd say ban them all for all I care. But that would require our governments to quit being massive hypocrites
    But like...is there considerable organic outrage over Tiktok harvesting data though? Because I haven't really seen it. Quite the contrary, in light of this news I've seen a lot of people defending it and lamenting a potential ban >.>

And yes, countries are generally pretty OK with spying on their own citizens or the citizens of other countries. They're also considerably less OK with other countries spying on them in return. This is applicable for China and the US in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    That is a good point. And Facebook and YouTube, are run by some very rich politically active people. Who certainly lean toward a certain political affiliation.
    Ah yes, Zuckerberg who has been politically active in...mostly meetings with Trump - https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-ne...tober-n1087986

And Alphabet's CEO Sundar Pichai who has...actually I'm struggling to find much about any of his political activities.

Or YouTube's CEO Susan Wojcicki who...uh...excepted politicians from abiding by YouTube's rules - https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/9/26...itical-content

5+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind losing it. It's a shame that it tried to live up to the legacy of vine.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Interesting.

Facebook is ok
    Tiktok is not

Til tok is a target because they were part of the reason Trump's Tulsa rally was a bust. They flooded them with ticket request which is why they thought they had a million people coming.

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/07/tech/...ban/index.html

Please let this happen. This is one thing in this administration I could get behind.
    What's wrong with tiktok lol. All your information is already public lol.

It's like getting upset at your lack of privacy in 2020...talk about being late to the party. lol (also the whole first page of posters is banned, this thread is officially my new favorite)
    Last edited by prwraith; 2020-07-10 at 07:46 PM.