Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kansor View Post
    TLDR.
    Why you ask?

Well...

1. Its a loaded question based on an assumption people think blizzards writers are bad. In fact its just a massive hatetrain going against blizzard on this specific forum. There arent 250+ writers on this forum giving out constructive critisism against blizzards writing on a daily basis. There are 250+ nolifers who are salty about everything blizzard does yet still spends time on this forum.

2. A developer isnt a writer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    If the devs were good writers, we wouldn't have BfA
    Once again for prins Hans. The devs arent writers.

I can only assume this is a troll post

Also, TLDR

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    I can only assume this is a troll post

Also, TLDR
    Why post, when you have nothing to say?

I just leveled a new DH yesterday...seeing how 6 Legion-Starships bombard Dalaran without causing any significant damage (Legion intro) and just minutes later 3 crappy catapults, held together by spit and duct tape, shoot miles across the ocean and level a tree the size of a mountain (BFA intro) within MINUTES was definetly.....yeah, i cannot really decide if it was good writing or extremely realistic....

Maybe it was neither? Yeah, now that i think about it...pretty sure it was neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Or, and here me out on this, it's going to sound crazy, these nuances were intentional...

because they're actually pretty good writers.
    Hahahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    I just leveled a new DH yesterday...seeing how 6 Legion-Starships bombard Dalaran without causing any significant damage (Legion intro) and just minutes later 3 crappy catapults, held together by spit and duct tape, shoot miles across the ocean and level a tree the size of a mountain (BFA intro) within MINUTES was definetly.....yeah, i cannot really decide if it was good writing or extremely realistic....

Maybe it was neither? Yeah, now that i think about it...pretty sure it was neither.
    You mean how a magical city was protected from attacks but a literal tree made of wood cought fire from having flaming shit thrown at it?

Yeah man some real suspension of disbelief has to be going on there right?

Last edited by ClassicPeon; 2020-07-15 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazze View Post
    Why post, when you have nothing to say?
    I had plenty to say. The implication was that someone would only say BfA was the result of good writing can only be trolling. Also TLDR, nobody has time to read that crap

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    You mean how a magical city was protected from attacks but a literal tree made of wood cought fire from having flaming shit thrown at it?

Yeah man some real suspension of disbelief going has to be going on there right?

I mean... The tree's way the heck out of sea, projectiles shouldn't have reached and it should've been a LOT harder to set fire to.

**LIVE** Trees, especially trees out at sea surrounded by water, don't actually burn all that easily.
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    Or, and here me out on this, it's going to sound crazy, these nuances were intentional...

They might be good writers (which I am not so sure about, they do have good moments, but their expertise is world building IMO), but this is MoP but worst, that is the main problem IMO. If MoP did not happen, our feelings would be pretty different I think.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    I mean... The tree's way the heck out of sea, projectiles shouldn't have reached and it should've been a LOT harder to set fire to.

**LIVE** Trees, especially trees out at sea surrounded by water, don't actually burn all that easily.
    The tree's way the heck out of sea, projectiles shouldn't have reached
    Why not? Because you did the math and ordinary medieval catapults didnt fire that distance? Are you forgetting what kind of game this is? :P

should've been a LOT harder to set fire to.

Discounting that you are most likely just picking these things from out of nowhere.

I feel like i have to, once again, ask if you remember that this is a game, not reality.

The fireballs could have been magicly enchanted for all we know.

You got one part right. It does indeed sound crazy.

Live trees don't generally grow out at sea. The only type of tree to grow in saltwater submersion conditions is the mangrove and it grows only on the shoreline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Why not? Because you did the math and ordinary medieval catapults didnt fire that distance? Are you forgetting what kind of game this is? :P

The fireballs could have been magicly enchanted for all we know.
    They were magically enhanced, it was still anticlimactic.

Neither the doylist nor the watsonian explanations are satisfying in this case.

Yes it's a fantasy game. Yes there's magic. But if the execution is lazy or feels incongruous and grating with the rest of the story or game, then people are still going to call it out.

Because if Teldrassil were this easy to burn I have to question why no one else managed it previously when the Legion had goddang spaceships lying around.

If the Horde had ubermagic catapult ammo that can hit wet targets miles out to sea and still set them aflame why is this the first time they're using it? Etc...
    Twas brillig

Yeah man some real suspension of disbelief going has to be going on there right?

Do you know how many times there was fire on teldrassil over the last 15 years? I can tell you: A LOT of times. Do you know how often the tree caught fire within minutes and burned down completely? Zero times. Makes you think, does it not? No, it probably does not make YOU think.

Do you know how far a catapult can shoot on even ground? ~400 meters, if it a really awesome one. You can actually USE these catapults and see them fire plenty of times all over Warcraft. They usually have a range of 30-100 meters.

I pointed at this shit simply because it was the most obvious flaw in the story that really every idiot would understand. No, a giant tree planted in the ocean does NOT burn down within minues even if hit by 3 burning missiles fromcatapults. It simply does not. It would require extremely potent magic to explain this kind of destruction.

As i said already, the catapults and the spread of the fire are just the most obvious shitshow. There is far more and far worse. The entire campaign of the Horde against Teldrassil took roughly a week. It is now canon that in Warcraft, it is completely impossible for a faction to reinforce the dfenses of a CAPITAL CITY within a week. Not a single human mage managed to show up. No Gnome, no Dwarf, no Draenei. Nobody. All of them were just so incredibly far away that they could not reach Teldrassil within a week.

Have you though about what that means?

If the Alliance launched an attack against Orgrimmar from the seaside (same as the MoP raid) the Horde would have less than a day to react. I guess that means this City is just completely undefendable. Let alone that the Gates of Orgrimmar are FAR closer to the shore than Teldrassil...so an entire Armada could unload all canons against the main gate without any problems whatsover.

The "War of Thorns" was just one giant shitstain. There was NOTHING about it that made any sense. It is on par with the hyperwarp-jump at the end of The Last Jedi. No, a single starship cannot destroy an entire fleet with a cheap trick without invalidating an entire universe. And no, a faction cannot march on one of the capitals of the other faction for a week without reinforcements getting in. If it could, no City in Warcraft would still be standing. It is completely impossible to defend any City if it takes more than a week to reinforce defenses.

Then there is the whole Zandalari story arc beginning with Talanji in the Stowmind Stockades. Do you honestly believe that Anduin, the most benevolent, friendly, open minded and forgiving shit on Azeroth would throw Talanji into the Stockades? This makes NO SENSE. Zero. Anduin would NEVER do that.

Also, the Horde-Infiltration-Unit flies from Orgrimmar to Stormwind on Eagle back. That is some amazing storytelling right there! You are telling me that the entire Alliance is unable to get one single unit of any other race to teldrassil in an ENTIRE WEEK...but the Horde can just fly from one end of the World to the other on a fucking eagle? Yeah. That is totally stellar. During this "Infiltration" Genn shows up and walks towards the Horde unit reeeeeeeeeeeeeeal slow. Why? Why dos he walk so slow? Because he enjoys watching you slaughter his Worgen? And after he walks towards you reeeeeeeeeeeal slow for a few minutes....he simply disappears, never to show up again.

As i already said, i just leveled a new Character the past two days...and NONE of the stories make any sense. The devs had a particular outcome in mind that they wanted the story to get at....and then gave not half of a fuck of how to actually get to that outcome without shitting all over their lore, their characters and the player's sanity.

Even if the story would pick up afterwards - which it does NOT - the foundation would still be shit. You cannot build anything proper on a foundation made of shit. Luckily, Blizzard knew that...and opted to just build the entire thing out of shit from the ground up. They did not even try to improve later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    A stopped clock is still right twice a day.
    You're giving Blizzard too much credit here with this saying. Twice a day? Blizzard's writing? Twice a a year would already be a stretch. A monkey eventually typing out Hamlet by hitting keys at random is much more appropriate. Just replace Hamlet with Twilight, because a comparison between Hamlet and WoW is insulting to the former even in the confines of the infinite monkey theorem.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2020-07-16 at 12:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

They were magically enhanced, it was still anticlimactic.

Neither the doylist nor the watsonian explanations are satisfying in this case.

Yes it's a fantasy game. Yes there's magic. But if the execution is lazy or feels incongruous and grating with the rest of the story or game, then people are still going to call it out.

Because if Teldrassil were this easy to burn I have to question why no one else managed it previously when the Legion had goddang spaceships lying around.

If the Horde had ubermagic catapult ammo that can hit wet targets miles out to sea and still set them aflame why is this the first time they're using it? Etc...
    The legion didnt attack Teldrassil because it literally posed no threat. Its a city full of civilians and furthermore its located pretty far from anything significant.

Russia: finnishes taking over Crimea sometime in 2015.
    This guy: LoL if Russia could do that in 2015 why didnt they do it before? Bad writing roflmao!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    I dont actually have anything real to add except some thrown in Ad honinem attacks. So i'l write a giant mess of a TLDR and hope noone reads it but just accepts my drivel
    I thought so

The legion didnt attack Teldrassil because it literally posed no threat. Its a city full of civilians and furthermore its located pretty far from anything significant.
    I mean, the legion's always attacked pretty much anything and everything, they've never cared about avoiding civilians (hell that's a bonus cause they can grind up civilian souls and shove them into all their eeeevil soul powered magitech), and it's a giant -magic- tree, they'd corrupt it same as shaladrassil if they wanted.
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Suitably suppressed, the remaining sethrak can pose no threat to the Horde's chosen proxy power in the form of the vulpera and indeed their remainder have no outlet but to cooperate with what were previously a fringe group. All the while the chosen few who cooperated with the Horde - Vorrik and his cabal, benefit enormously, becoming the only representatives of the sethrak effectively forever due to how long-lived they are and reaping the material benefits thereof.
    I mean, the Horde and Alliance are imperialistic powers and this same narrative gets repeated in most zones -- arrive in new foreign place, identify which group of natives is most amenable to your faction, arm them and help them crush their rivals, enlist their help in killing the big bad you came here for, move on to next zone. That's how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    Also, TLDR
    There is one
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    She lost against Arthas for purpose. She wanted to feed Quel'thalas to hungering darkness.

I mean, the legion's always attacked pretty much anything and everything, they've never cared about avoiding civilians (hell that's a bonus cause they can grind up civilian souls and shove them into all their eeeevil soul powered magitech), and it's a giant -magic- tree, they'd corrupt it same as shaladrassil if they wanted.
    I'm not saying they didnt attack the tree because it had civilians. I'm saying that logicly you would want to attack infrastructure and military bases before dealing with civilians. Most other cities are much better hubs and house much more of Azeroths armies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by kansor View Post
    By a ridiculous deus ex machina that seems more like some wishful daydream of Saurfang himself than anything plausible, this ends up causing Sylvanas's supporters to all suddenly abandon her and embrace the coup as legitimate. That one's a headscratcher.
    Not really that much of a headscratcher. Any leader who relies on popularity is going to be faced with extreme reactions when her loyal base is confronted with the knowledge that the leader doesn't actually care about them, and even more holds them in contempt. They won't lose *all* their followers, just like Sylvanas still has her loyalists, but they'll lose the majority of them - especially if said majority has options such as another group or organization to support them (which the Horde Council readily provided). There's a laundry list of leaders and notables who've squandered extreme forward popularity almost in an instant. Sylvanas' downfall oddly reminds me of Joseph McCarthy putting his foot in his mouth on national TV, basically rendering his career irrelevant almost overnight. In one moment of psychopathic rage Sylvanas speaks the truth, that she believes in and cares for nothing, and thereby shatters the chains binding the Horde to her.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Nice attempt at finding at least something rational in BFS but honestly nothing of it makes sense still. Because the writers are really bad.