Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    honestly dont give a flying fuck about what other people think about my covenant choices. I'm fully doing it based on what appeals to me specifically and not choosing the X is 100% increase vs Y is 98% increase bullshit. That is just absurdity.
    Well not everyone is a complete casual player. Just because it's not a problem for you doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Honestly, I am happy with this. I know a lot of people are sceptic and they have every right to be after BFA, but Shadowlands seems like a good expansion and most of the problems seem exaggerated, I won't say they won't be a problem but they won't be as game-breaking as people think. Preacher said himself in one of his recent videos "these systems will be good for the majority of the player base".

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    The interview completely sucked and Ion basically had to arm bar his way in on the end so that he could actually give new information. The first 90% of the interview had nothing new to say, and the same issue kept being reiterated over and over again. Pressing or bringing up the issue about covenants (at least how he believes they're bad) is absolutely fine, but going on and on about them for most the interview just made my eyes glaze over if I'm being honest. At some point I just wanted Preach to shut up and/or move on, because it's clear that Blizzards going to go in this direction in regards to covenants.

You can call people Blizzard apologists or whatever you want to call them, but the majority of Ion's answers about the subject were fine. I've been playing a DK since WoTLK, and I have no worldly idea what Preach was talking about when he claiming that WoD had massive RNG factors for the class, and it was hard to compare himself to other DKs. As somebody who played a DK during every major period of the game and logged with the best of them, I had to basically facepalm, especially when considering he was talking about BRF era, and not the era of HFC where some particularly powerful trinkets were introduced to the game. If he was talking HFC era, he might have had a point, but he wasn't. Regardless of that, there's a history of WoW since the very beginning where Ion (rightfully so) points out that particular pieces of gear or trinkets can skew your comparisons to others within your class. Whatever the point is, comparing yourself is difficult when one guild has universally better players than another, pushing kill times to points where the uptime on particular buffs is massively inflated.

WoWs obsession with RNG procs and systems tied progression really didn't start until Legion, and was essentially baked into the game hard with the last patch of BFA. WoD for as shitty as people might claim (granted PoF was completely broken) was fairly sound class design wise and the best players, were simply the best players.

To me it's obvious they're going to stick with the covenant system and try to balance it to the best of their abilities, whether it's close or not, who could honestly know?

I think there's some extreme hyperbole going around from the pug scene though in regards to what people look for. In pure PUGS I actually doubt people are going to exclude you based on the covenant you choose, just like nobody excludes people based on the essences or azerite traits people pick right now. PUGS literally look for meta classes with high raid progression and/or IO score and leave it at that. Why? Because PUG leaders aren't fucking detectives. If they were detectives they would take some godly shadow priest over pants on head retarded demon hunter, but they don't. Why? Because Shadow Priests have a stigma in dungeons, and DPS DHs are seen as broken.

If Blizzard fucks up the balance and there's some MASSIVE delta between the best and worst covenant in regards to throughput, sure, maybe people will take that into consideration. But if you expect pugs to decline people because they don't have the Venthyr blink to like, skip a pack or something, please let me know what pugs you're doing so I can tell my friends who occasionally pug things where to look. The thought of much organization going into a pug just simply happens, let alone them doing precise skips/pulls that only work if everybody has the exact same covenant.

Obviously it's not exactly the same because choosing a covenant isn't as extreme as some of the examples Ion gave, but the overlying idea is still sound. How many groups on Alliance do people get declined on because they aren't NE so they can do particular skips they saw in an MDI tournament? Like zero. Same idea is likely going to apply to covenants to, although not as extreme as the NE skip scenario. Could it happen? Yeah, it could. Is it likely to happen? No. Pug leaders are lazy and the only way you get your foot in the door with these people is just rolling a good class to begin with, just like it's always been. People in TBC who were bad would LITERALLY look for 1-2 mages when pugging dungeons because mages had the best CC in the game.

TLDR in regards to pug group leaders is simply this;

Meta classes go BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Non-meta classes are bad

And it ends at that. Not in the history of the world do they bring up your IO page and see what essences you pick, corruptions you have or azerite traits you pick. Ions example of fire mage = good, any other mage = bad, is exactly how the pug scene works right now. And that very fire mage could have every other aspect I listed above completely wrong and be a vers stacking fire mage, with all the wrong talents, with infinite stars as his corruption of choice.
    Preach talked about it aaaages ago. Not sure why he'd use DK examples since he was a rogue then (he was a rank 1 DK in cata which got him into method for a patch) It was the idea that you would do the exact same opener every single time but somehow do different amounts of damage purely based on procs. The reason he didnt use HFC as an example was that it bothered him so much that he switched to tank for HFC.

If the team actually works to fix the most broken and underperforming abilities (they've mentioned several times now that they will completely rework abilities as needed) then I feel like there will be little problem for the average player performing well.

I think one issue that was not discussed is whether it is healthy for wow as an RPG to cater to the top 1% and design content to difficulties that require min maxing to the nth degree to be viable. The decisions that go into that are in a large part what causes problems at the people for who don't have the skill that any covenant would matter more for their DPS than simply learning to play their characters base abilities better and execute their rotations better. Esporting an rpg game is going to push people to want to go to more FPS style no differences between characters. Take it further why are there still classes. Why not just have one big pool of abilities you can swap between from one fight to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    It always amuses me how much people on this forum forget that Wow isn't just an MMO, and is an RPG. Some of you guys wants covenants/conduits/whatever to be changeable on the fly, that sounds FUCKING AWFUL to me. I don't care if I do 3-5% less dps (more than this is an issue) on one fight over another, or in pvp versus raiding, compared to after every boss fight, whenever i pvp/dungeon/whatever having to change a dozen different things (or at least feeling compelled to because they make it easy).

Having semi permanent choices makes them choices, instead of a pre-event checkbox. I mean if everyone that is on here that complains about being benched because they picked x talent, y covenant, z conduit was actually benched pretty sure no raid would be able to run.
    I'm not a lore junkie or anything but from what I've gathered we the player are the only ones who have ever come out of the Maw. Anyone that has entered the Maw has never come back. Now the covenants need us the player to save the Shadowlands. The covenants should allow us to use the powers at our disposal to stop the Jailer. It makes no sense at all from a lore standpoint to gimp us the player if they want the Jailer stopped. Ion is dumb, this choice that they're making is not fun. I don't care about min maxing what so ever, it's just overall a dumb decision to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Worth View Post
    I'm not a lore junkie or anything but from what I've gathered we the player are the only ones who have ever come out of the Maw. Anyone that has entered the Maw has never come back. Now the covenants need us the player to save the Shadowlands. The covenants should allow us to use the powers at our disposal to stop the Jailer. It makes no sense at all from a lore standpoint to gimp us the player if they want the Jailer stopped. Ion is dumb, this choice that they're making is not fun. I don't care about min maxing what so ever, it's just overall a dumb decision to make.
    That answer was mainly in response to Preach saying that the RPG story aspect (not gameplay) could be enhanced by making it so the player character can choose what soulbinds and powers he uses, even if he's in a different covenant. Ion's response to that was simply that wasn't how they wrote the expansion. Pretty clear cut answer there, the current story and questlines don't allow for a player to hop around the covenants and pick up different characters and abilities.

Even if they did unlock alternate soulbinds and abilities there probably still wouldn't be a lore reason for it. They're not going to completely rewrite the covenant quests without a massive delay.

when did BoA beta end? isn't there at least 3months after beta ends before a release if so beta not much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    It's not much of an interview. It's like a conversation, I think it's better, but preach seems incredibly frustratred already.
    Maybe he'll just tell all his followers to cheat again, and then have to cry more apologies. That was fun.
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

all PR bullshit.

Ion doesnt give a damn about players or their choices. they know they fucked up years ago when they gut the classes, stripping them of their identity and now they are blabbering about class idenity. bullshit. pure bullshit.

their fallback covenant change will happen 9.1, players hate it now and its not going to change. prime example of them not giving a crap about beta feedback. they are just going to wait until the expansion comes out and is universally hated before rolling out the patch.

balancing random procs has been a failure of blizzards since day one, and yet they still push more passive abilities than active ones. fucking morons.
    they strip the game of basic stats that made sense like hit, armor penetration and expertise and replaced them with stats that are impossible to balance, i.e. mastery and versatility. again, fucking morons.
    ion just looks like he constantly looking for some new excuse to try to pass by gamers with every question he is asked. the expansion reveal and beta execution are prime examples that blizzard had no clue or real plan going into this expansion outside of afterlife BS. they still dont know what to do with the expansion 'feature' months before release. they have never been in a more sad state as a developer than they are right now. they just look lost and desperate for whatever they can find to keep shareholders happy and dupe the player base.

5+ Year Old Account
    Best players should be able to get Mythic content done with 1-2% performance difference in abilities.

This “scare” is being blown out of proportions.

I don't think the issue it’s really about performance of classes or how good they feel.

The real issues here is people’s obsession of getting the content done in fastest way possible.

Speed obsession is ruining this game
    Last edited by TigTone; 2020-07-17 at 07:07 PM.

Ion is talking about WoW stuff like a 13 year old girl talks about L O V E she has with Justin Bieber - and you, the adult be like "aww, isn't she cute?". I wonder if he truly believes what he is saying or is this just lawyering... Also drink whenever a dev says "RPG element".
    Last edited by Lei; 2020-07-17 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    That answer was mainly in response to Preach saying that the RPG story aspect (not gameplay) could be enhanced by making it so the player character can choose what soulbinds and powers he uses, even if he's in a different covenant. Ion's response to that was simply that wasn't how they wrote the expansion. Pretty clear cut answer there, the current story and questlines don't allow for a player to hop around the covenants and pick up different characters and abilities.

Even if they did unlock alternate soulbinds and abilities there probably still wouldn't be a lore reason for it. They're not going to completely rewrite the covenant quests without a massive delay.
    I honestly think my sodium levels for gaming in general are just too high and am looking for a non frustrating gaming experience and the end result ends up being not being able to see all of the good that may be coming with the expansion because of this.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    High end raiding is an incredibly small % of players and always has been that’s the whole reason they made lfr as other wise making Raid content wasn’t worth the time for how few players did it.
    Wow if this is the case, then I do not understand the problem about which convenent is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Danvash View Post
    I'm fine with them making the choice of covenant semi-permanent if they seriously balance the options to the point where you can solve the same problem in 4 different ways with whatever button you chose.

Anything less than that will just create a situation where players are compelled to grind up alts if they want to PVP, raid, and do mythic+ all on their main class. We saw how meaningful choices worked with legendaries and Azerite. As it turned out, everyone at every level of play went for whatever was BIS.
    Well, this doesn’t play well with the super sophisticated tuning and development system of “lets just put an infinite scaler on and call it done” they started using.

may be just return to old fcking vanilla talent system, instead adding artifact,convenat,conduit, legendaries bla bla etc... so ppl can play easier

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    More like 1-2%, maybe not even that. But a lot more people min-max just to copy them or for the sake of min-maxing.
    1-2% wow....
    that is awfully low to make a mess about what is the best ability for a game

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    You mean the beta where certain specs do 3 times as much damage as other specs? Yes, if this goes live, I won't bother with my covenant ability but with rerolling.
    Number tunings come in last, I thought this was common knowledge or are you just pretending to be dumb in order to make a point?

10+ Year Old Account
    Feel sorry for wow devs they invest so much into the game trying to cater to everyone just to get things thrown back in their faces and having to listen to whiny people behaving like kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Feel sorry for wow devs they invest so much into the game trying to cater to everyone just to get things thrown back in their faces and having to listen to whiny people behaving like kids.
    Don't worry, I'm sure mmochampion members have the brilliant idea of how to fix this. Usually it's down to each member basically saying "Cater to me and only me, everyone else can go fuck themselves.".