Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I have been struggling with something that I find very difficult. I'm going to just ask you guys, how can you distance your love of something (book series, movie franchise, TV show, etc etc etc) from the person who created it or is that even possible?
    It's really easy to do for music for me.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

It's pretty easy to do. I'm not sure I care all that much in the first place, and it's really rare for me to go out of my way to learn anything about someone who creates art that I enjoy.

If something intrigues me, I'll indulge myself in it. It's less about "I wonder what the person who made this was thinking" and more about "what do I think of this when I see / hear it"
    Last edited by melodramocracy; 2020-07-18 at 12:27 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    I mean if we do this with all artists there are some pretty problematic writers out there that have written some all american classics

Obsessing over it is pointless
    Pretty much. The same people who bitch about H.P Lovecraft being a racist (common in his day by today's moral puritan standards) with mental health issues are the same people who have no qualms with coopting his work because his characters are now public domain while they bitch about how he's problematic. The guy has been dead nearly 100 years yet these wimps can't let it go.

Rowling hit lightning in a bottle with Harry Potter, but as far as fantasy goes, it's such a shallow and uninteresting series compared to other great authors. Maybe rather than whinging about a now defunct film and book franchise that won't see new stories involving their beloved characters, they go read some better quality fantasy and realize that they've been obsessing over mediocrity for years. Better yet, they can also start acting like adults by reading some adult tier novels instead of kids books.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Also, why do you keep asking for others advice and support, strangers on the internet? Why can't you do anything for yourself?
    Because some people need to have their opinions and feelings validated by like minded people, lest it make them look like a hater or a bigot.