Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I believe ALL power-related racials should be removed and replaced with "Flavor" ones

I'll be honest, the Vulpera seem damn-near broken (*eight* additional pack slots?!), but those kinds of racials are a lot more fun.

1% fire resist? Nobody gives a shit. What might be kind of a cool replacement? Maybe your character lights up when taking fire damage instead.

Another example might be the Lightforged Draenei; literally nobody gives a shit about extra xp from killing Demons. But what if there was some crazy visual effect when killing a demon? Or hell, maybe killing a demon would instantly recover your health/resource (provided you weren't still in combat)?

Visual and even some Convenience racials are fun, especially when they show off a bit of each race's culture. Numerical stat increases aren't fun, and just lead to pointless bitching.

Now admittedly, I struggle to think of any "fun" examples for Humans.

But otherwise, I'd totally welcome Blizzard ditching "power" racials in favor of fun "flavor" racials.

What do you guys think? Moreover, what kinds of examples could you come up with various races?

You do realize that the whole "Horde has all the raiders" thing started because of a "Convenience" racial, right?

I believe humans are OP with 10% rep buff.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

I believe ALL power related racials should be kept and not replaced. And a racial that replenishes health when killing a demon is literally power related... So nice job contradicting yourself in one of your only two examples?

Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    I believe humans are OP with 10% rep buff.
    To be fair it really does help in the long run with rep grinds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

For throughput I agree, more mobility related ones would be great trade offs in place of them if it ever happened. My new personal favorite racial is the Dark Iron Mole Machine one, best racial to date once you unlock all the locations. Who needs a mage now I say?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I'll be honest, the Vulpera seem damn-near broken (*eight* additional pack slots?!), but those kinds of racials are a lot more fun.

1% fire resist? Nobody gives a shit. What might be kind of a cool replacement? Maybe your character lights up when taking fire damage instead.

Another example might be the Lightforged Draenei; literally nobody gives a shit about extra xp from killing Demons. But what if there was some crazy visual effect when killing a demon? Or hell, maybe killing a demon would instantly recover your health/resource (provided you weren't still in combat)?

Visual and even some Convenience racials are fun, especially when they show off a bit of each race's culture. Numerical stat increases aren't fun, and just lead to pointless bitching.

But otherwise, I'd totally welcome Blizzard ditching "power" racials in favor of fun "flavor" racials.

What do you guys think? Moreover, what kinds of examples could you come up with various races?
    Naw we good.

Racials should be 100% cosmetic or functional. They shouldn't affect stats at all.

Racials are fine as-is.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

Would be cool if the Racials were cosmetic stuff with visuals that fits your race. Like if a Blood Elf uses a spell, some times it would make an arcane-like visual effect that was for Blood Elves only.

How are 8 bag slots broken? It's just bag slots. At this point most characters have 120+ slots, I don't think 8 more is gonna change much.

Nah. Flavor doesn't add fun. It just consumes resources to placate the "everything should be balanced all the times, in all places" approach to gaming.

This wouldn't fix the issue. And it's a terrible idea.

So no.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivank0v View Post
    Nah. Flavor doesn't add fun. It just consumes resources to placate the "everything should be balanced all the times, in all places" approach to gaming.
    You realize that flavor is the only thing separating 99% of abilities in this or any other game, right?

Fireball, frostbolt, shadowbolt, lighting bolt, solar wrath, and steady shot are all exactly the same ability. Single target short cast time direct damage with neither dot nor CD.

Hell, all abilities are just a bunch of mutually exclusive check boxes:

st OR aoe?
    cast time OR instant?
    Free OR consumes resources?
    Direct damage AND/OR dot?

The only thing that differentiates ANY of them is the flavor.
    Last edited by Nefarious Tea; 2020-07-24 at 08:09 PM.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

I'd rather them be buffed substantially.

15+ Year Old Account
    I 100% agree. Racials should have no baring on game play. They should either be +profession skill, +elemental resist, or some other "fun" thing like the Worgen one to switch between human & wolf form. Take all min maxing out of picking a damn race you want to play. Let people pick races just because they like the lore, look, or whatever but not because "X race does Y thing so its great for PvE/PvP"

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I 100% agree. Racials should have no baring on game play. They should either be +profession skill, +elemental resist, or some other "fun" thing like the Worgen one to switch between human & wolf form. Take all min maxing out of picking a damn race you want to play. Let people pick races just because they like the lore, look, or whatever but not because "X race does Y thing so its great for PvE/PvP"
    Tangible benefit that doesn't tie into your healing throughput, tank survivability, or DPS is great racial power. Even things like the old weapon specializations could be cool. In D&D, certain races can always use certain weapons regardless of class. Why not have that in wow? Imagine if, for example, every night elf regardless of class could equip bows, or every orc could equip axes? It doesn't affect character power, just widens the net of potential gear you can equip.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    Tangible benefit that doesn't tie into your healing throughput, tank survivability, or DPS is great racial power. Even things like the old weapon specializations could be cool. In D&D, certain races can always use certain weapons regardless of class. Why not have that in wow? Imagine if, for example, every night elf regardless of class could equip bows, or every orc could equip axes? It doesn't affect character power, just widens the net of potential gear you can equip.
    A druid with a bow would be pretty cool.

But I would prefer racials to be wholly cosmetic. Night Elf Priests cast star-themed spells instead of light-themed spells. Blood Elves get extra arcane effects. Monks get race-themed kegs like Shaman get race themed totems. That kind of stuff.

No more of this "I get a free rocket jump/snare removal/bubble regen/vanish".

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    Being aleays able to use certain weapons because of race sounds pretty fun!

I also kinda like OP's idea of Vulpera glowing when lit on fire. To extrapolate to other racials: Draenei vaporizing demons in light on kill, or Trolls making beast kills extra bloody. Dwarves turning stone briefly when hit by powerful frost magic. Fun bit of visual flair I think could help races seem more like a fun choice. Not sure if it's good to completely seperate power from racials or not, but more visual flair at least seems fun and cool.

Racials are "fine"... Also, BFA happens to be the expansion that nerfed one of the most op racials ever. But ignore that, racials are fine.

OP the horse has already bolted, this might have mattered if they did it 4 expansions ago.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?