Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Hmf...Mark Meadows (Trump mouthpiece), is blaming dems now, and the dems are blaming him for walking out in huff.
    Flip a coin for whether Trump comes dramatically riding up to the "rescue" with xoxoxo and not the hugs and kisses kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Utinil View Post
    This inclusion shows how they are trying to skew the numbers. One could argue that they are getting a large amount of "paid leave" right now.
    paid leave would include benefits which unemployment does not, so it skews nothing. Not really sure what you are trying to imply?
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hmf...Mark Meadows (Trump mouthpiece), is blaming dems now, and the dems are blaming him for walking out in huff.
    Flip a coin for whether Trump comes dramatically riding up to the "rescue" with xoxoxo and not the hugs and kisses kind.
    Given trumps voyage off into a ocean of lies I tend to just discount any claims of the GOP until proven otherwise from multiple sources. They burned any faith in what they said a long time ago.

Trump to take executive action after coronavirus talks collapse

Mnuchin said administration officials will be recommending executive orders to deal with unemployment after the $600 per week federal benefit expired last week. They will also recommend that Trump sign orders relating to rental foreclosures and student loans. "It's going to take a little bit of time for us to finalize these and process them but we'll do them as quickly as we can because the president wants action," Mnuchin said.

------
    Bold is obviously for Pelosi and Schumer.
    Last edited by Shadowferal; 2020-08-07 at 10:40 PM. Reason: LTE is shit

10+ Year Old Account

Mnuchin said administration officials will be recommending executive orders to deal with unemployment after the $600 per week federal benefit expired last week. They will also recommend that Trump sign orders relating to rental foreclosures and student loans. "It's going to take a little bit of time for us to finalize these and process them but we'll do them as quickly as we can because the president wants action," Mnuchin said.

------
    I think this does better than the bold:

Sec. Steven Mnuchin, Mark Meadows will recommend President Trump to move ahead with executive orders on rent, student loans, unemployment: "We agree with the Speaker this is not the first choice but people have run out of the enhanced unemployment."
    I’m not sure what leverage republicans have, if democrats get everything they wanted... Is employer liability the only item?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I would think the bolded should be for congressional republicans... as they're the ones who told schumer and pelosi to take it up with the WH.

I'm also curious where the money behind those executive orders is supposed to come from. More reallocation from the military budget?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    I would think the bolded should be for congressional republicans... as they're the ones who told schumer and pelosi to take it up with the WH.
    It's about appearances.
    Trump's polling shitty right now. And if people start bitching at what seems a do-nothing congress he can shine up real nice by "doing their job." Pelosi and Schumer know this, which is what he's saying obliquely. Schumer, Pelosi, and Meadows are the three that are getting the hairy eyeball. (McConnell was smart enough to do a fade)

It's about appearances.
    Trump's polling shitty right now. And if people start bitching at what seems a do-nothing congress he can shine up real nice by "doing their job." Pelosi and Schumer know this, which is what he's saying obliquely. Schumer, Pelosi, and Meadows are the three that are getting the hairy eyeball. (McConnell was smart enough to do a fade)
    It's pretty hard to portray the dems as being at fault for a "do nothing congress" when the sen maj leader isn't even involved in negotiations. I get it, you want to paint democrats in a bad light. Claiming up is down in an attempt to do so doesn't make your wish come true, it makes you look clueless.

It's pretty hard to portray the dems as being at fault for a "do nothing congress" when the sen maj leader isn't even involved in negotiations. I get it, you want to paint democrats in a bad light. Claiming up is down in an attempt to do so doesn't make your wish come true, it makes you look clueless.
    No.
    The clueless are those that don't know shit about political maneuvering.
    As put earlier, there are plenty in the GOP that are willing to vote for that dem bill. (And from all indications that includes McConnell)
    And at the end of the day those dems want those votes.

10+ Year Old Account
    No.
    As put earlier, there are plenty in the GOP that are willing to vote for that dem bill. (And from all indications that includes McConnell)
    At this point, it doesn’t seem to matter... Dems appear to be getting both, the housing support and the additional unemployment, without Republican Senate... by negotiating with Trump, who is using an executive order to bypass congress. Like I said before, the only big issue democrats seem to be missing in executive orders, is the employer liability.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    At this point, it doesn’t seem to matter... Dems appear to be getting both, the housing support and the additional unemployment, without Republican Senate... by negotiating with Trump, who is using an executive order to bypass congress. Like I said before, the only big issue democrats seem to be missing in executive orders, is the employer liability.
    And most will find that acceptable until January
    ....and it helps the more vulnerable Republicans up for reelection in November; A compromise measure that includes state aid and enhanced unemployment benefits would give a boost to GOP incumbents in places like Colorado and Arizona, two states where Democrats have the best chance of knocking off Republicans in November.
    ----
    The pressure would be eased off. An eo would give breathing room...at least until the likes of Rand Paul challenges it in court. (Not sure...a 5 month eo isn't really all that long if it's wirth challenging)

10+ Year Old Account
    And most will find that acceptable until January
    ....and it helps the more vulnerable Republicans up for reelection in November; A compromise measure that includes state aid and enhanced unemployment benefits would give a boost to GOP incumbents in places like Colorado and Arizona, two states where Democrats have the best chance of knocking off Republicans in November.
    There is no compromise... Trump is using an executive order, to get pretty much everything democrats wanted.

The pressure would be eased off. An eo would give breathing room...at least until the likes of Rand Paul challenges it in court. (Not sure...a 5 month eo isn't really all that long if it's wirth challenging)
    What breathing room? GOP’s lack of compromises is why an EO was passed... your conclusions of GOP cooperation, make no sense.

No.
    And yet, there's no vote in the senate on the bill the house passed. Why is that? Who controls what bills go to a vote in the senate? Democrats don't control what bills go to a vote in the senate. In fact, one person is preventing that. That would seem like a pretty big indication that the turtle isn't in favor of the bill. If what you said was actually true, and the house bill passing would be a boost to mcsally and gardner, why doesn't mcconnell allow it to go to a vote? To protect trump? Why would trump veto it if it would help retain control of the senate?

Yes, the clueless don't know shit about political maneuvering. Where exactly do you think you are in this case?

There is no compromise... Trump is using an executive order, to get pretty much everything democrats wanted.

What breathing room? GOP’s lack of compromises is why an EO was passed... your conclusions of GOP cooperation, make no sense.
    Lets correct one of your sentences;
    Trump is using an executive order, to get pretty much everything democrats and vulnerable Republicans wanted...

Sure, the dems are getting what they want...except the seats they want in the Senate. Those vulnerable will have time to clean up their act. (I stand by what I earlier predicted...a loss of only two red seats)
    The silence coming from some less moderate dems says a lot too.
    It's possible I'm overthinking things. But lets see where the legal challenges come from.

How is the EO going to do anything?
    He has no ability to fund anything he says he is going to pop off an EO on.

Even the payroll taxes would just defer paying them till next year when the majority of people will spend that money and have a surprise tax bill.

Is he going to push that he has access to the treasury and bypass congress, is he sure he wants to create this loophole that the next democrat in the WH can fund things like Healthcare without congressional approval??

its just another useless EO that everyone will ignore.

- - - Updated - - -

------
    No power to fund anything he would include in the EO and taxes would just be deferred and eventually you would have to pay it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also curious where the money behind those executive orders is supposed to come from. More reallocation from the military budget?
    11-18 billion a week just for the 600 payment. LOL military lost it shit over a few billion could you imagine.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

And there ya go; Trump signs executive orders after coronavirus relief talks falter

One memo extends the enhanced unemployment benefits that expired roughly two weeks ago and have been critical to millions of Americans out of work due to the pandemic. The benefits will be lowered from $600 to $400 per week, with states required to cover 25 percent of the cost, Trump said.

Another of the orders directs the Treasury Department to allow employers to defer payment of employee-side Social Security payroll taxes through the end of 2020 for Americans earning less than about $100,000 annually. The text of the executive order states that the intended deferral period would start Sept. 1, but Trump suggested that it could be retroactive to Aug. 1. Trump also said that he hoped to forgive the deferred payroll taxes and make permanent payroll tax cuts if he is reelected in November.

Two additional orders put a freeze on evictions in federal housing and pause student loan payments through the end of the year.

-----

So Trump is now running on permanently defunding of social security and medicare.

Schumer declines to say whether Trump executive orders are legal
    Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) on Sunday declined to say whether four coronavirus relief executive orders issued by President Trump on Saturday were legal, adding simply that the measures don't "do the job."
    -----
    Politically, that was all he could say to critcixe the bills. He played it safe.

Probably smart play to let the states challenge it in court. I am pretty sure a lot of states red and blue will sue to stop their having to foot 24% of the unemployment stuff when most are cash strapped by this plague as is. Also Trump is funding it via raiding the natural disaster funds right at the start of hurricane season which makes me think the southern states are going to be REALLY leary about that funding mechanism.

Schumer declines to say whether Trump executive orders are legal
    Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) on Sunday declined to say whether four coronavirus relief executive orders issued by President Trump on Saturday were legal, adding simply that the measures don't "do the job."
    -----
    Politically, that was all he could say to critcixe the bills. He played it safe.
    Could you imagine the things a democrat president could EO using the logic Trump just used to fund unemployment, and to that matter taking military funds to build a wall.

the fact that most republicans are sitting quiet when they are faced with the real possibility of a democrat president next term is insane.

Federal unemployment, paid for by the states? lol remember 3 years ago the whole "States rights" rallying cry. that sure disappeared fast.

Guess it no longer matters that congress approves spending, just write a blank check and let the president decide where to spend it.

Inc Healthcare, bye bye military cash cow?
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!