Page 1 of 3
LastLast

My thoughts on Retail after playing Classic.

Ok i just want to start by saying i tried classic out the day it launched since i did not have the time back when vanilla came out to play.All i did was run around like a chicken with my head cut off back in vanilla.I didn't really start playing till seriously till TBC.Alright having said that i have played since.I love WoW as much as the next avid player.Had many great times through the years.

Now when i first started playing Classic at launch i will admit i only made it to lvl 30 on my rogue.Work was making it difficult for me to just grind levels,so i left classic and kept playing retail.I just came back about 2 months ago after not being able to take the craziness that is Retail right now.I came back and started a Hunter.I got him to 60 and have since started raiding with some Friends i know outside the game and have been having a really fun time in classic.

Now this is where i want to talk about how i feel about Retail compared to classic.I have been watching everything about it and since the first news hit about shadowlands i was excited.Though since being back on playing classic i find i am less excited about shadowlands everyday.Playing classic has refreshed my memory about how grand WoW used to be.Running dungeons with your guild mates and doing quests chains to help them out or they are doing the same for you.Having a fellow guild member finally get that last piece of tier 2 that completes the set that has taken him forever to get because it just wouldn't drop and to know how happy that makes them.Helping the guild grind bugs in silithus and fighting the alliance for control so we can get the carapaces for the scepter quest.When as a hunter i got my Rhok'delar after the quest line.

These are the things i miss from days of old in WoW that have been swept under the rug by blizzard.Competing for gear and everyone congratulating them when they did get that sweet new item.Caring about your rep as an individual and as a guild on your server meant something.World PvP was fresh and new every time it happened.I know some will say well that is just a thing of the past.Well it is alive and well in Classic for the most part.And this is where i think the biggest problem with wow retail comes in to play.All of these things that people think are just things of the past are what made the game as good as it was and as memorable as it has been over the last decade and a half.

To be honest i am more looking forward to TBC classic servers if that ever does happen than i am with shadowlands.Because the Community is just not there in Retail anymore.i logged in to Retail the other night just for kicks and Trade chat just about made me cry.It was nothing but wants to sell this carry through mythic+ or this raid for x amount of gold.I think in the 10 minutes i watched trade that night i saw 3 guilds trying to recruit while the rest was just a sea of sadness.

These are just some of my thoughts on Retail and the game that used to be World Of Warcraft.I would love to hear what you think about the current state of WoW.

Edit... since some people are misunderstanding what i am talking about i am not trying to compare classic to retail i am comparing Retail to how the game has changed over the years.it is that i am just trying talk about how the game has changed from not just vanilla but everything past wrath or even cata.The way the game has shifted from an mmo to just a loot pinata with no soul.
    Last edited by Bigcountry11782; 2020-08-09 at 09:07 AM.

Let's see how many people will take the bait this time.

Yeah too bad classic sucks.

let's throw bait to the bait!

yeah man, i too feel classic is so hard and difficult, raiding used to mean so much this days, ragnaros, onyxia and now AQ40,, epic moments of intense performances, in which everytime your virtual life hangs by the grasp,nothing compared to today's mythic, that's why all the bosses are dying minutes after the raids enter the instance

and leveling oh my gosh, what kind of badass do you have to be to find Manrik's wife! let alone level to 60, that's some serious hardcore experience, so much dedication, so many foodbreaks....

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcountry11782 View Post
    Ok i just want to start by saying i tried classic out the day it launched since i did not have the time back when vanilla came out to play.All i did was run around like a chicken with my head cut off back in vanilla.I didn't really start playing till seriously till TBC.Alright having said that i have played since.I love WoW as much as the next avid player.Had many great times through the years.

Now when i first started playing Classic at launch i will admit i only made it to lvl 30 on my rogue.Work was making it difficult for me to just grind levels,so i left classic and kept playing retail.I just came back about 2 months ago after not being able to take the craziness that is Retail right now.I came back and started a Hunter.I got him to 60 and have since started raiding with some Friends i know outside the game and have been having a really fun time in classic.

Now this is where i want to talk about how i feel about Retail compared to classic.I have been watching everything about it and since the first news hit about shadowlands i was excited.Though since being back on playing classic i find i am less excited about shadowlands everyday.Playing classic has refreshed my memory about how grand WoW used to be.Running dungeons with your guild mates and doing quests chains to help them out or they are doing the same for you.Having a fellow guild member finally get that last piece of tier 2 that completes the set that has taken him forever to get because it just wouldn't drop and to know how happy that makes them.Helping the guild grind bugs in silithus and fighting the alliance for control so we can get the carapaces for the scepter quest.When as a hunter i got my Rhok'delar after the quest line.

These are the things i miss from days of old in WoW that have been swept under the rug by blizzard.Competing for gear and everyone congratulating them when they did get that sweet new item.Caring about your rep as an individual and as a guild on your server meant something.World PvP was fresh and new every time it happened.I know some will say well that is just a thing of the past.Well it is alive and well in Classic for the most part.And this is where i think the biggest problem with wow retail comes in to play.All of these things that people think are just things of the past are what made the game as good as it was and as memorable as it has been over the last decade and a half.

To be honest i am more looking forward to TBC classic servers if that ever does happen than i am with shadowlands.Because the Community is just not there in Retail anymore.i logged in to Retail the other night just for kicks and Trade chat just about made me cry.It was nothing but wants to sell this carry through mythic+ or this raid for x amount of gold.I think in the 10 minutes i watched trade that night i saw 3 guilds trying to recruit while the rest was just a sea of sadness.

These are just some of my thoughts on Retail and the game that used to be World Of Warcraft.I would love to hear what you think about the current state of WoW.
    Tldr hazzikostas game butchery

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanu View Post
    let's throw bait to the bait!

yeah man, i too feel classic is so hard and difficult, raiding used to mean so much this days, ragnaros, onyxia and now AQ40,, epic moments of intense performances, in which everytime your virtual life hangs by the grasp,nothing compared to today's mythic, that's why all the bosses are dying minutes after the raids enter the instance

and leveling oh my gosh, what kind of badass do you have to be to find Manrik's wife! let alone level to 60, that's some serious hardcore experience, so much dedication, so many foodbreaks....
    what are you talking about?I never said anything about difficulty.Did you even read the post?Or did you just assume that is what i was talking about lol It is clear you didn't.Because if you had you would see that i was talking about the community and what the game was about.
    Last edited by Bigcountry11782; 2020-08-09 at 08:36 AM.

Edit... since some people can't comprehend what i am talking about i am not trying to compare classic to retail.it is that i am just trying talk about how the game has changed from not just vanilla but everything past wrath or even cata.The way the game has shifted from an mmo to just a loot pinata with no soul.
    I would have agreed with you in the first ~week of classic. After leveling the game loses all meaning as its just afk bgs or watch tv clearing the raids. Game is a complete joke with zero end game.

Literally everything you said about classic is still in retail but people today are just too dumb to realize it, join a guild and problem solved. Iv been in the same guild for 8-9 years and ALL your "ANECDOTAL" evidence points too is your anti social.

also 10/10 bait, figured id throw my 2 cents in though.

The opposite happens for me Playing classic makes me appreciate the QoL changes in retail. I like classic for what it is, I still play it, but I do fucking not want retail to be more like classic
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Swear I had this guy on ignore. Honestly, bait threads are annoying.

It's a forced community vs one that is not. Classic had systems in place (Either because of technical limitations or design) that encouraged guilds and pre-mades infinitely more than they do now. Honestly I don't think that system is superior in any fashion, because all that tells me is that the game isn't designed well to encourage team-play on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerrona View Post
    I would have agreed with you in the first ~week of classic. After leveling the game loses all meaning as its just afk bgs or watch tv clearing the raids. Game is a complete joke with zero end game.

Literally everything you said about classic is still in retail but people today are just too dumb to realize it, join a guild and problem solved. Iv been in the same guild for 8-9 years and ALL your "ANECDOTAL" evidence points too is your anti social.

also 10/10 bait, figured id throw my 2 cents in though.
    How am i Anti social???I don't understand.Also what are you talking about bait?Because you don't agree with me its bait and you think i am anti social?Talk about ego gone wild.I was just trying to share an my opinion.I really am curious what you mean by bait though.If you can't be civil about it don't even bother then though.

Also i am in a guild in retail.You skimmed through what i was talking about and just assumed i was guild less and just some lonely anti social person even though i am clearly in a guild and in one on classic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    Swear I had this guy on ignore. Honestly, bait threads are annoying.
    I am very confused wtf do you mean about bait threads?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    The opposite happens for me Playing classic makes me appreciate the QoL changes in retail. I like classic for what it is, I still play it, but I do fucking not want retail to be more like classic
    I understand what you mean.I don't mean i want Retail to drop everything about it its just that wow has lost some things over the years and not just from vanilla.Thank you for an actual response and your thoughts on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    It's a forced community vs one that is not. Classic had systems in place (Either because of technical limitations or design) that encouraged guilds and pre-mades infinitely more than they do now. Honestly I don't think that system is superior in any fashion, because all that tells me is that the game isn't designed well to encourage team-play on the fly.
    What is wrong with doing things with your guild.i never said it was superior just that it encouraged you to play with other people more than just raiding and doing mythic+.why have an MMO if you don't want to be a part of a community.

Now this is where i want to talk about how i feel about Retail compared to classic.

Edit... since some people can't comprehend what i am talking about i am not trying to compare classic to retail.
    rly? REALY?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by froschhure View Post
    Tldr hazzikostas game butchery
    more like tldr after 15 years people changed

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    rly? REALY?
    Yes really.i am trying to compare how the game has changed over the years.I should have reworded the title a bit.What i mean is after going back and seeing how the game used to be and was for a long time 10 years almost and how it is drastically different now.It made me think about different points in wow's history and how the game has changed.
    Last edited by Bigcountry11782; 2020-08-09 at 09:08 AM.

You seem to attribute meaning to classic activities just because they are classic activities.

I don't really feel differently, when I help someone from my guild farm m+ than when I help them farm bugs in silithus. Except that m+is actually fun.

I found friends during retail leveling in random dungeons who I kept playing with just like I did in classic. Just that I didn't have to wait 2h to find a group because everyone is using boosts.

Server community in classic seems to be mostly about joining the guild that is the biggest bully out there. All my positive social experiences come from my guild or from random people I meet while playing. Both of those exist in retail too.

And my world pvp experience in classic is that you kill one faction for a month so hard that they transfer to a different server. So.. Maybe on other servers this is actually better than warmode. But I personally had much more fun in the occasional warmode group battle than I had in classic.

Which is not to say that I don't like classic. I haven't logged into retail for month now. But that's because my friends currently play classic not because the activities there are somehow more meaningful than in retail.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Thanks for the blog post bro
    Your welcome bro

10+ Year Old Account
    Just what we need, another delusional blogpost how classic is SOOO much better than retail.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    You seem to attribute meaning to classic activities just because they are classic activities.

I don't really feel differently, when I help someone from my guild farm m+ than when I help them farm bugs in silithus. Except that m+is actually fun.

I found friends during retail leveling in random dungeons who I kept playing with just like I did in classic. Just that I didn't have to wait 2h to find a group because everyone is using boosts.

Server community in classic seems to be mostly about joining the guild that is the biggest bully out there. All my positive social experiences come from my guild or from random people I meet while playing. Both of those exist in retail too.

And my world pvp experience in classic is that you kill one faction for a month so hard that they transfer to a different server. So.. Maybe on other servers this is actually better than warmode. But I personally had much more fun in the occasional warmode group battle than I had in classic.

Which is not to say that I don't like classic. I haven't logged into retail for month now. But that's because my friends currently play classic not because the activities there are somehow more meaningful than in retail.
    The farming of bugs in silithus is just an example.Not the highlight.it wasn't the farming of the bugs its the guild getting together to do something that isn't the same thing you do over and over.Say its going to help someone with an attunement or going and doing a world boss that ends up being a battle with the opposite faction for control of the world boss.Mythic+ and raids are literally the only thing people do in Retail right now as a group.Everything else is just solo out in the world.That is what i was trying to get across.I don't just mean in classic this used to happen in game way more often but has become less of a thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    Why can't people simply play what they like and let others play what they like without trying to convince them that what they like is better. Its a game just play whatever version you like.
    Never tried convincing anyone of anything.Just my thoughts on it.Not like Blizzard is gonna look at this post and be like HOLY SHIT WE GOTTA CHANGE EVERYTHING BECAUSE OF THIS GUYS OPINIONS lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    The only question that remains is this

Who asked?
    What is your problem?You didn't have to read it.It is a public forum i am not breaking any rules by sharing my opinions.Take your ego out of your throat you are choking on it friend.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Yeah I tried classic for 30 minutes, horrible experience was not at all my thing.
    Basically how i felt when i first tried it.But it grew on me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Just what we need, another delusional blogpost how classic is SOOO much better than retail.
    Except its not.its about how the game has changed since vanilla and how playing classic has made me look at retail differently.Nothing delusional about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by apustus View Post
    Yeah too bad classic sucks.
    I am sorry you feel that way.Though there are nights when i do say that myself lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyOne View Post
    Let's see how many people will take the bait this time.
    Love how someones opinion that you clearly do not like is some how bait.The person that joined feb 2020 with that fresh account lol

I do not think we need another topic Classic vs Retail.
    Some players will enjoy 1st the other group 2nd since these are really different experiences.
    Let it be that way.

... but also noticed one funny thing recently of how some people narritive suddenly changed from:
    - Classic is dead before even started
    - Classic is dead within 1 month from release
    - Classic is dead when ppl notice how easy is MC
    - Classic is dead when ppl notice how shitty is world PvP

to just:

'bait threads', LOL.

If classic had content and difficulty it would be better