Poll: Should the weekly chest reward solo play?

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    I like challenging solo content in WoW. The problem is that a lot of players are getting used to piss easy solo content like world quests etc. so when Blizzard finally make some challenging content these entitled players start to complain because they cant complete it.
    Challenging is a different animal for each kind of class. Something trival for tanks and DPS may be challenging for healers. Something difficult that requires you to keep NPC associates alive may be easy for healers and difficult for others. Blizzard's business case is to create a lot of content that average players can conquer. I suppose that may be because there are so many of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by goldlock View Post
    The problem I find is people want to be overly rewarded for solo play. Many people are asking for extremely powerful raid rewards in what are rather simple challenges. Even visions shouldn't of really rewarded gear above 450 for how easy it is.

I know a lot of people will point to event gear but pointing to another problem shouldnt excuse a problem.
    Hence my point about weekly chests that benefit open world play vs. chests that benefit dungeons/raids. Surely, some creative genius at Blizzard can imagine some gear attributes and affixes that work best in separate environments.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Absolutely not.

If you aren't doing group content, why do you need group content rewards?
    Just because they are getting a reward from the chest doesn't mean it has to be the same Ilvl as people who's reward comes from group stuff... They could easily have it reward people who only do solo stuff with solo stuff appropriate Ilvl items.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, if they can clear a mythic + on their own why not.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Challenging is a different animal for each kind of class. Something trival for tanks and DPS may be challenging for healers. Something difficult that requires you to keep NPC associates alive may be easy for healers and difficult for others. Blizzard's business case is to create a lot of content that average players can conquer. I suppose that may be because there are so many of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Hence my point about weekly chests that benefit open world play vs. chests that benefit dungeons/raids. Surely, some creative genius at Blizzard can imagine some gear attributes and affixes that work best in separate environments.
    I mean they haven't really worked out many that work well in 5 mans...

I like the concept but I think the problem with solo play is it gets rid of excuses... You can't blame anyone for your failure in it and a lot of the player base wants that out. If mage tower gave a mythic raid quality weapon in legion I wouldn't of minded as most of the scenarios warranted that. A large portion of players who couldnt do that content would of raged violently about it though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    What is overly? People want to be rewarded for time spend on challenging activities. Who defines what activities are worth gear and which are not? WHY do they have to be group activities to be worthwhile?
    Everything is opinion here. No one gets to define the normative state of fictional game world.
    They need to roughly match up in terms of the difficulty of other modes that offer similar rewards... this isn't some massive abstract or complex idea.

Here is the thing. Blizzard has created multiple levers that allow tuning for different aspects of the game, but never for solo play. If they ever wanted to be serious about solo play they could instead of trying to tune the encounters for each spec separately, add design elements unique to that mode. With Torghast, if a class has shit defense and cannot really solo, just give it a few spec specific defensive options that are OP compared to other classes. Give healers strong dps options, etc. And if you want to do it for open world, you can add an elective mode for challenging open world activities with passive abilities that vary in strength depending on spec so they can help them provide a similar level of challenge.

- - - Updated - - -

It's still an opinion and it is not universal to games or even the genre. You have a preconception of how things should be and you project it as normative.
    Yes I do... I wouldn't want to play a rpg where you get the best weapon in the game that can one shot anything from the first rat you kill at level one.

I don't want to play your weird power fantasy I want to play an adventure rpg.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is unnecessary as solo content scales to your item level and is generally not gear based content to begin with.

15+ Year Old Account
    Should singleplayers have people messing up your gameplay?
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

And most RPGs tie rewards to your level, not to the difficulty of the content you do. So what's your point?
    They don't... you get more powerful items by killing more powerful enemies the first rat you kill never gives you the best loot for killing it a million times... play a rpg please.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what the point of world quests rewarding gear is for. The weekly chest should be a stepping stone as a result of going into group content.
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

kind of seems like the people against it are going about it as raiders should be entitled to better gear because they do more difficult content so they totes deserve that stuff to show off. but in reality the reason they get better gear is because this game is about item level power creep and they need it to tackle the next raid. it's not because they're special it's because how the game is designed.

the only prestige stuff you get isn't even in the form of gear(outside top pvpers). it's mounts,titles etc.
    Last edited by Lex Icon; 2020-08-12 at 07:44 PM.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

15+ Year Old Account
    What do you even do solo that you think should give you a weekly chest?

There is no current solo content that rewards anything worth having, so no?

If they made competitive solo content I'd be all in favor of it, but it doesn't exist.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Isn't it problematic for an RPG when people expect to be rewarded for group play not because they are facing a greater challenge but because they are forced to deal with the performance of others?
    \\

- - - Updated - - -

Eh? The entire Final Fantasy series has gameplay based on grinding pathetically easy repeatable encounters to power up so you can deal with "harder" points by just overpowering. Most games based on a tabletop ruleset allow the same; you can just do additional content in a game like Dragon Age to several additional levels so when you go to the "harder" encounters you out level them.

The focus on "endgame" as an artificial way to cap player power and force challenge is fairly unique to MMORPGs in the RPG genre. Usually the cap is well above what is needed to end the story.
    You seem to be unable to comprehend that leveling and loot are two separate things...

Quote Originally Posted by goldlock View Post
    The problem I find is people want to be overly rewarded for solo play. Many people are asking for extremely powerful raid rewards in what are rather simple challenges. Even visions shouldn't of really rewarded gear above 450 for how easy it is.
    Let me ask you something. Did you do your 5 mask solo runs with 450 gear? What minimum ilvl would you say that a player should have to complete a 5 mask run?

Visions are the kind of content that can be challenging for some time, but people who do raid and do M+ will easily outgear it because they have access to better gear with greater availability. But visions still have a learning curve, gear curve, cloak upgrade curve, titan research thing curve... sure, once you have your cloak maxed out, your gear is above 450 and all upgrades unlocked, it becomes easier, but it's still a challenge at the gear levels a 'solo' player can have.

So once a week you get a chance to get a piece of loot that will make the challenge easier, that's how all PvE content works by the way: you repeat content for loot and that loot makes things easier. It's one of the fun things about this kind of game and i'll say that's exactly what they want with Torghast making the player more and more powerful as the run goes on. Everyone likes to get stronger and kill stuff faster, watch how numbers keep getting bigger.

The point is that when it comes to gear rewards, is not only about how challenging the content is, but also about gear reward availability from that content and who those gear rewards are targeted at. As long as similar or better gear is rewarded more frequently from group content and the solo player needs to put some time before getting to the same level, then there is nothing wrong with rewarding a solo player raid quality gear because by principle is not something that will happen immediately and anyone doing group content will probably have better gear by the time the solo player can actually opt to that kind of reward.

Anyway, what i have in mind when we talk about a weekly chest, is more in line with an emissary chest than with Visions. Mostly because i already expect that Torghast as the big solo player thing will have it's own reward structure that, i guess, will fit right in with the same philosophy that i just explained from visions.
    Last edited by Geckoo; 2020-08-12 at 07:57 PM.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tronski View Post
    This bullshit attitude needs adjusting. You can't possibly be so stupid that you think solo players don't want to kill shit faster while questing, doing LFR, PvP, random dungeons or Torghast just because they can't find the time or want to raid mythic or push m+.

OF COURSE solo play should contribute to weekly loot chest. Getting one high ilvl piece a week is hardly gamebreaking anyway. End result is that those solo players eventually get the gear to dip their toes in a heroic raid if they should feel like it.

- - - Updated - - -

What would happen if I bought one mythic raid boss kill a week?
    If u mainly do LFR/WQ/random dungeons, u dont need more/better gear.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Geckoo View Post
    Let me ask you something. Did you do your 5 mask solo runs with 450 gear? What minimum ilvl would you say that a player should have to complete a 5 mask run?

Visions are the kind of content that can be challenging for some time, but people who do raid and do M+ will easily outgear it because they have access to better gear with greater availability. But visions still have a learning curve, gear curve, cloak upgrade curve, titan research thing curve... sure, once you have your cloak maxed out, your gear is above 450 and all upgrades unlocked, it becomes easier, but it's still a challenge at the gear levels a 'solo' player can have.

So once a week you get a chance to get a piece of loot that will make the challenge easier, that's how all PvE content works by the way: you repeat content for loot and that loot makes things easier. It's one of the fun things about this kind of game and i'll say that's exactly what they want with Torghast making the player more and more powerful as the run goes on. Everyone likes to get stronger and kill stuff faster, watch how numbers keep getting bigger.

The point is that when it comes to gear rewards, is not only about how challenging the content is, but also about gear reward availability from that content and who those gear rewards are targeted at. As long as similar or better gear is rewarded more frequently from group content and the solo player needs to put some time before getting to the same level, then there is nothing wrong with rewarding a solo player raid quality gear because by principle is not something that will happen immediately and anyone doing group content will probably have better gear by the time the solo player can actually opt to that kind of reward.

Anyway, what i have in mind when we talk about a weekly chest, is more in line with an emissary chest than with Visions. Mostly because i already expect that Torghast as the big solo player thing will have it's own reward structure that, i guess, will fit right in with the same philosophy that i just explained from visions.
    I did them at cloak level 11 on my main dh and I did them at 443ilv on my mage alt with a 15 cloak to get it a piece of easy gear each week without committing to the mythic+ grind.

I would be alright with it taking the place of the emissary but it shouldn't be comparable to higher difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Krothar View Post
    What do you even do solo that you think should give you a weekly chest?
    win X/Y/Z amount of pet battles = get to choose one of 1/2/3 pets you don't have yet

About visions: saying 5 mask runs are easy in a world (of warcraft) where oceans of tears were shed about proving grounds silver being too hard is disingenuous. They are easy for some, but by far not for everyone. Get out of your bubble.
    Last edited by Twdft; 2020-08-12 at 08:52 PM.

Sure, Why not?

Originaly it was purely only for mythic plus,
    Their already expanding on it.

Whether you do 25 wq or a +10. Not much diffrence in difficulty honestly.

And they clearly have made alot of changes to keep the “most” people happy, so its only fair to include players that do not wish to participate in the treadmill of grouping.

Ps:

We can also think backwards, why do people that are grouping need these items? Arent you already obtaining enough frequently? It wont effect you to include solo play in these chests.
    Last edited by Packmule; 2020-08-12 at 08:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, as long as the item level or reward is on par with the content being done, just like everything else.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by City Pop View Post
    This is unnecessary as solo content scales to your item level and is generally not gear based content to begin with.
    All content is gear based content because all of your abilities are tied to gear. Better gear means you do everything better, whether that be raiding or world quests.