Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I am renting here in Shenzhen atm for a couple of months. Its a 60sqm apartment and costs me roughly 15% of my salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Good grief! You spend 47% of your salary on housing? Where is this? And do you have any other, but cheaper options?

Before we paid off our house several years ago, my house payments only represented maybe 20 -25% of my wages. I mean, I could have bought a more expensive house and had higher costs. But at the time we bought ours, the suggested goal for any home buyer, was the payments should never exceed 33% of your take home salary.
    Mortgage payments are way cheaper than rent. I pay 25% of my salary to my mortgage and its more space than I need. Renting it would be 50% of my salary.

Back when I was renting (late 80s) I think it was around 14% of my take home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ground-floor flat estimated at £177k, share with my brother, 22% of my take-home is rent.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

I live with my parents right now so free.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I rented I would try to keep it at 20% or lower.

But then again, i would live in the worst part of the city. I kinda miss the Tenderloin... or Georgetown...
    Government Affiliated Snark

It's pretty close to 1/3.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adala View Post
    68kvm? What is that?
    That was swedish.
    68 square meters.

25% would be ideal.

My condo is almost paid off, but its about 10-15%

10+ Year Old Account
    I live alone, so ~52% for 600sqft / 55 square meter 1 bedroom apt.

10+ Year Old Account
    30% for 100sqm 2 bedder, 2km from city centre.

I don’t remember my square footage, I’ve been here for 3 years and after 2 we don’t have to do contracts anymore so we don’t have to break contract to move.

I pay about 20% my take home for rent.

I'm paying a mortgage, annually it's about 13% of my total earnings (part of my pay comes in profit shares). Tho monthly it's probably in 25% range.

I do live in a city that's a bit more pricier end when it comes to real estate tho, but it's not that bad.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Mortgage payments are way cheaper than rent. I pay 25% of my salary to my mortgage and its more space than I need. Renting it would be 50% of my salary.
    I think it depends on several factors. How much the home is worth and also location is a major factor. The average home in Ohio, cost about $145k. In California, that jumps to about $480k. Similarly, rent is going to also vary a lot depending on location and the apartment setup.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    About 30% of my solo salary covers our mortgage.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    is this just mortgage? or mortgage + taxes + insurance?

Where i live the mortgage is a better play till you run up against property tax, insurance and the additional expenses of owning a house.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

15+ Year Old Account
    3 Bedroom house, 1 flatmate - 15% of Salary.
    Here is something to believe in!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    Munich, Germany. The city with the most expensive housing in the country. In theory I could aim for a less expensive place, but that would involve student dorms or sharing an apartment with more than 1 person (something really normal in Germany called Wohngemeinschaft).
    Sharing a big flat is actually more economically sound, but of course the risk is higher. It is quite prevalent around here, in the French speaking area too, particularly for students and young professionals aiming for the centers of big cities.

Centrally located prices have become so insane here, that on several occasions, for new developments, the advertisement was : 1 br ideal for a young couple, 2 br ideal for a young family, 3 br ideal for setting up a "Colocation" (i.e. even developers are well aware those are too expensive for families).

As I student I shared a (big) flat with 3-4 people. And once one of my brothers was in a particularly big shared dwelling, with 5 or 6 other people.
    Last edited by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang; 2020-08-27 at 07:13 AM.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Ground-floor flat estimated at £177k, share with my brother, 22% of my take-home is rent.
    lol, in London you can't even buy studio flat for that much. I'm paying £1600 a month for 2 bed flat, that's 2 weeks net pay for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.