Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Why should you combine them if they are the same sub? it means your going to count a lot of subs double.

Anyway likely horribly inaccurate data on that site.
    Oh yeah, Either way, wow still has atleast a couple of million players.

There was an actual official leak in the form of Battle.net API - 2.7 Million. Then came the WeakAuras leak, which is iffy but I mean it's not hard to believe (something like 1.4M?). I think retail is hovering at around 1.6M, if that.

Do you think a random website can not only somehow count WoW's playerbase, which no other website is able to do for various reasons and not only that - they are able to accurately separate Retail and Classic subs? How do you do that when both playerbases literally pay the same sub? Would you say they based it on how many of those subs bought BFA and how many didn't? Because that would make it crazy inaccurate - not only do players with BFA also play Classic, but players without BFA can also still play retail (up to Legion content). Think about it a little

Those numbers are estimations but judging by each game's popularity I'd say its a decent estimation. WoW has the greatest playerbase out of them by far.

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    WoW is just that much better than all other games on the market.
    Agreed. Even in its current state.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    Do you think a random website can not only somehow count WoW's playerbase, which no other website is able to do for various reasons and not only that - they are able to accurately separate Retail and Classic subs? How do you do that when both playerbases literally pay the same sub? Would you say they based it on how many of those subs bought BFA and how many didn't? Because that would make it crazy inaccurate - not only do players with BFA also play Classic, but players without BFA can also still play retail (up to Legion content). Think about it a little
    I'm fine with estimates tbh, It's just nice to have some kind of number

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    The numbers aren’t even close to right just click on wow and wow classic your self and look at player/sub count.

World of Warcraft Classic is estimated to have 23,905,356 total players or subscribers.
    World of Warcraft is estimated to have 97,345,281 total players or subscribers.
    Even if these were just created characters it would make absolutely no sense as wow up to mop beat those numbers on life time players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    There was an actual official leak in the form of Battle.net API - 2.7 Million. Then came the WeakAuras leak, which is iffy but I mean it's not hard to believe (something like 1.4M?). I think retail is hovering at around 1.6M, if that.
    There was never an official leak this was bullshit that went around for a few months with even the add on makers calling it as such.

its definitely sub 5m

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    I think this page is more interesting towards what is actually happening at present:
    https://mmo-population.com/activity

It's activity.
    Doesn't seem too outrageous to be fair. I'd imagine WoW's "Total Players" to be a bit higher than that though, as didn't they hit 100m accounts back in Cataclysm... Or am I misremembering something? I know accounts=/= players, but still.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why not just make up your own numbers because that’s exactly what this site is doing it’s not actually based on any thing solid like at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    Doesn't seem too outrageous to be fair. I'd imagine WoW's "Total Players" to be a bit higher than that though, as didn't they hit 100m accounts back in Cataclysm... Or am I misremembering something? I know accounts=/= players, but still.
    They hit 100m in mop so it can’t be life time players/accounts it also can’t be characters as there would be way more then 100m at this point, the number means nothing.

Going though the actual site it’s pretty clear there just making up numbers to farm clicks for there crap ton of adds.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't trust those numbers too hard. It's probably measuring something like google traffic or twitch viewers rather than direct connections.

Hence why some live games have numbers that are beyond dead, and some dead games are still showing traffic.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Why not just make up your own numbers because that’s exactly what this site is doing it’s not actually based on any thing solid like at all.

- - - Updated - - -

They hit 100m in mop so it can’t be life time players/accounts it also can’t be characters as there would be way more then 100m at this point, the number means nothing.

Going though the actual site it’s pretty clear there just making up numbers to farm clicks for there crap ton of adds.
    100m players or accounts? Because hell, even I had 5 accounts at one point during TBC/Wrath.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I wouldn't trust those numbers too hard. It's probably measuring something like google traffic or twitch viewers rather than direct connections.

Hence why some live games have numbers that are beyond dead, and some dead games are still showing traffic.
    Looks like that’s exactly what there doing just mashing a ton of numbers together and then making wild guesses.

From there data section
    It's difficult to track hidden MMO subscriber numbers, but we do our best!

By combining online social activity, sentiment tracking, public statistics, rankings and more MMO Populations estimates the total subscribers, players and active daily players for the top MMOs. Above is the total number of tracked players by the site.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    100m players or accounts? Because hell, even I had 5 accounts at one point during TBC/Wrath.
    Accounts I believe including trials.

But it could be anything really. Estimates have to be based off of something. What is this based off of?

All of the sites that pull info from APIs and addon activity generally point to a ~2-3mil player active sub base. If you look at the trajectory of the sub chart when they used to release it, it does seem like that's where it should be at roughly by now. I'm sure it spikes over 5mil at the release of every expansion.

About EverQuest having low players and how it's surviving: EQ1 probably has 25-50k active players, but being an EQ player myself, knowing how their MTX work and how the community is... you get a lot of older folks who are in their 50s+, retired with a lot of money and they sink hundreds of dollars into the WoW token equivalent in that game. Then use in game currency to buy gear drops from raiding guilds. So I would bet on average an individual EQ1 player is worth a lot more than a WoW player.

So they can still probably justify pumping out some expansions for a 50k player base when they pay an average of $1000/yr on the game. New expansions aren't like crazy resource intensive either, they're making low poly assets.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2020-09-11 at 06:44 AM.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nearly 5 million, that sound legit. Remember that a lot of people are off till Shadowlands too.

We'll never know unless Blizz release figures. They don't want to give their competitors the bragging rights
    Night Elves NEED long hair to the ground and more elegant/regal beautiful options to show their Highbourne heritage

Nope, i think wow has less than 3m players and even less active players. Constantly merging realms, friend list 5% active, 2 years into somewhat failed expansion....

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey. Just found an "MMO population" website and i'm wondering how accurate these rating are

- - - Updated - - -

and the actual website link if any one else wanna go there

https://mmo-population.com/list
    Clicking your link, it only says ~2,8M WoW players.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't trust any of these charts tbh.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi