American values good or bad?

What does it mean to be American?

Well, putting an emphasis on family and country. Telling people your bs story about how you came here with $10 in your hand and now you own several businesses. It doesn't matter if people in Third World countries are starving, as long as your tea is of slightly higher quality than your neighbors'.

Capitalism is American. Having several hierarchies in places, so that even though we're all created equal, people lower in the ladder are exploited.

It's called America the Beautiful, but Americans are actually seen by the rest of the world as fat and ugly.

Are American values really good for society? I'll leave the following here and let you decide:

“American society [...] not only sanctions gross and unfair relations among men, but it encourages them. Now, can that be denied? No. Rivalry, competition, envy, jealousy, all that is malignant in human character is nourished by the system. Possession, money, property--on such corrupt standards as these do you people measure happiness and success.”

― Philip Roth, Portnoy's Complaint
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-09-18 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Minor Trolling

Last time I checked, threads meant to nation-bash are not allowed.

I'd dare say no single country in this world has all good or bad values.

7+ Year Old Account
    @AryuFate

As an American I feel like I could be happy in most countries even though cultures and values vary from place to place. The most important aspects of life are universal.

Where as I feel like you might not be happy regardless of what country you live in?
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-09-18 at 01:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Telling people your bs story about how you came here with $10 in your hand and now you own several businesses.
    I came here with less than that... and I own a house. Even more impressive, my parents were in their mid 30s when we got here and own 2... I was 10, mine is a lot less impressive....
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I wont go further, but I feel horrified of way some things are done in US. That is all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the U.S I think the U.S truly is the beacon of light and a force for good and can be, I think we lost our way, we in our arrogance have ignored conventional wisdom's and traditions both at our great cost and benefit. We have also become obnoxious and a little too into ourselves.

That said I do love the U.S, but because of that, I have no problem being honest and truthful about our wrongs, because I know we are better than that, and we strive to be.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

A lot of countries copy the USA in all areas.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    From Canada America seems like a downgrade in pretty much every way unless your uber rich so id say the bad out weights the good by a fair amount.

5+ Year Old Account
    This thread is closed. Do not create threads to bait inappropriate discussion.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."