Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Because the void elves were taking notes from that one elf that let the scourge in, obviously they're not gonna be okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Can someone explain this logic pls - San'layn characters are evil as fuck, and the stuff they do is terrible, but yet it seems the Belves aren't that bothered by it, but have a major issue with void elves - kicking them out "dangerous magic " (ahem, remember fel in TFT-TBC? remember Illidari??), but yet seem offended they re-joined the alliance and actually value it a lot more.

Not to mention they are far more in line with the values the blood elves seem to eschew, yet they'd rather go with the San'layn...

Someone explain to me how? ! Why?!
    at what point did the blood elves accept those fucking monsters into their society?

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean they were okay with Sylvanas and her Dark Rangers... until they weren't
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I don't recall the Sin'dorei ever being "okay" with the San'layn - while there was a brief flirtation with the remaining San'layn joining the Horde in BfA, no Blood Elves were actually involved in the recruitment, with only Rokhan and Talanji really working with Blood Prince Dreven. Beyond this, though; the San'layn aren't functionally very different from Blood or Unholy Death Knights, both of whom are already part of the Horde and the Alliance.

On the other hand, Void magic itself has proven deleterious to the Sunwell - which given its nigh-sacrosanct place in Sin'dorei culture would explain their lack of enthusiasm for Void Elves or anything else Void-related.
    Well, Alleria had to touch Sunwell for backlash to occur, and it was also Alleria's knowledge of the Void which was vítal in saving Sunwell. Other elves were just watching their beloved font being endangered.

Given this, I felt exiling Umbric's group was extreme. At that point, they were not even transformed yet. Exiling Umbric and his followers, blood elves basicly lost their knowledge of the Void, so if Sunwell will ever be threaten by the Void in future, they will be helpless, as we already seen. All it was needed was to ban Umbric's group to enter Sunwell site.

Another pointless elf thread because op has a raging boner for elves.

Even tho the specific scenario described in the OP never actually happened.

but muh elves...

Infracted.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2020-09-22 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Received Infraction

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    I mean only those aligned with the blood elves government.
    We're not aware of any "government-aligned" blood elves that are trying to harness the Void, let alone to the same extent as Umbric. There's no hypocrisy there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaedan View Post
    Well, Alleria had to touch Sunwell for backlash to occur, and it was also Alleria's knowledge of the Void which was vítal in saving Sunwell. Other elves were just watching their beloved font being endangered.

Given this, I felt exiling Umbric's group was extreme. At that point, they were not even transformed yet. Exiling Umbric and his followers, blood elves basicly lost their knowledge of the Void, so if Sunwell will ever be threaten by the Void in future, they will be helpless, as we already seen. All it was needed was to ban Umbric's group to enter Sunwell site.
    I'm not really speaking to whether or not Rommath's position was as an overreach or strictly necessary, but it *is* why Blood Elves tend to look down on or fear trafficking with the Void, and why the Void Elves are persona non grata in Silvermoon. The San'layn practice Blood magic and Necromancy, neither of which are an existential threat to the Sunwell directly, and which already have something of a niche in the form of Death Knights being a part of Sin'dorei society.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Can someone explain this logic pls - San'layn characters are evil as fuck, and the stuff they do is terrible, but yet it seems the Belves aren't that bothered by it, but have a major issue with void elves - kicking them out "dangerous magic " (ahem, remember fel in TFT-TBC? remember Illidari??), but yet seem offended they re-joined the alliance and actually value it a lot more.

Not to mention they are far more in line with the values the blood elves seem to eschew, yet they'd rather go with the San'layn...

Haven't you seen what happened when Alleria visited Sunwell? This itself is a reason to keep anything void related far enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    at what point did the blood elves accept those fucking monsters into their society?
    also this, the fact that Sylvanas' Horde employed San'layn - which only Alliance players have really seen - means little to the whole faction of Blood Elves.
    S.H.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    We're not aware of any "government-aligned" blood elves that are trying to harness the Void, let alone to the same extent as Umbric. There's no hypocrisy there.
    You know government-aligned blood elves harnessed Fel, which is just as dangerous and malevolent as the Void, and brainwashed any dissident right?
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

It's simply not a "morality" issue. It's just quite simply that the void energies are anathema to the Sunwell, and they will protect it whatever the cost.

Morality comes secondary to Blood Elves in regards to survival, an the greatest threat to their new source of power is Void, as they have seen with their own eyes.

15+ Year Old Account
    When have the blood elves even really had any interactions with the San'layn?

So searching for the past like hour for any positive interaction blood elfs would have towards Darkfallen and I cant find any
    where are you getting this impression Ravenmoon?
    I had this debate with somebody on discord before about Sylvannas bringing in the Sanlayn during the Alliance side war campaign and even then there was no implication that the blood elves as a whole gave their blessing for it

So i'm sorry I can't find any information that supports this notion

in regards to not accepting void elves, since people are talking about it, I would have to think that Grand Magister Rommath is aware of the interactions between void and light and could not afford void magics near the Sunwell now that the Sunwell is a font of light. The blood elves banished by Rommath were still Blood elves at that point.
    Last edited by CheckThyself; 2020-09-21 at 07:38 PM.

You know government-aligned blood elves harnessed Fel, which is just as dangerous and malevolent as the Void, and brainwashed any dissident right?
    This isn't an issue of morality. Blood elves are not opposed to "dangerous magic." Rommath clashed with Umbric over his research because he believed it posed a threat to the Sunwell in a way that fel and blood magic does not.

i don't see why you seem to think they are 'ok' with the San'layn...

as for the Void Elves it's simple really, it has nothing to do with morality, they have very recently experienced the catastrophic consequences of losing a 'well' and watched their loved ones turn into wretches, they will NEVER and under ANY circumstance allow the same to happen again, it doesn't matter how small the risk is, they refuse to take any chance

exiling or even killing a few hundreds is nothing compared to the cost of losing the Sunwell

it's also not hard to guess what opinion would the average belf have for anyone who would endanger the sunwell just for the sake of reasearching some new school of magic

Quote Originally Posted by Sfidt View Post
    Haven't you seen what happened when Alleria visited Sunwell? This itself is a reason to keep anything void related far enough.

- - - Updated - - -

also this, the fact that Sylvanas' Horde employed San'layn - which only Alliance players have really seen - means little to the whole faction of Blood Elves.
    It means nothing to the blood elves, the forsaken can recruit into their ranks any type of undead that is the forsaken theme.

Now I want to see when lorthemar accepted cannibals within the Quelthalas society, because if there is nothing then this topic is a lie

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    I mean they were okay with Sylvanas and her Dark Rangers... until they weren't
    since when sylvanas and undeads are part of quelthalas society? the undead are their own society with their own territory that is not part of quethalas

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    This isn't an issue of morality. Blood elves are not opposed to "dangerous magic." Rommath clashed with Umbric over his research because he believed it posed a threat to the Sunwell in a way that fel and blood magic does not.
    Except that Fel still poses a threat to the elves since it attracts the attention of the Legion. Blood magic is also dangerous because the San'layn are inherently hungry beings who satiate their thirst upon the people. Blood Prince Dreven was literally draining his crewmates of their life force to feed himself.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    When have the blood elves even really had any interactions with the San'layn?
    I hope that the creator of the thread will show us at what moment lorthmar and the other leaders of quelthalas allowed those cannibals to live in quelthalas and be part of that society, because I, someone who knows the lore of the blood elves very well, I don't remember.

- - - Updated - - -

Hypocrisy. Only the blood elves can practice dark magic in Silvermoon, no one else is allowed. Even though the Sunwell is very far from Silvermoon (Arthas had to conjure a massive ice bridge over the sea to get there after Silvermoon fell), so the exile of the void elves was a stupid decision in the first place. All Theron and Rommath needed to do was NOT freak out and confine the void elves to a special sanctum or district of Silvermoon, in which all their movements and activities could easily be monitored. And done, you have an elite squad of Void users ready to defend Silvermoon, while actively researching new ways to harness and fight the shadows.
    When did we see lorthemar accept those cannibals in quelthalas?

Except that Fel still poses a threat to the elves since it attracts the attention of the Legion. Blood magic is also dangerous because the San'layn are inherently hungry beings who satiate their thirst upon the people. Blood Prince Dreven was literally draining his crewmates of their life force to feed himself.
    but fel magic didn't pose the threat to the SUnwell as void magic did, hence why those elves were banished. the clash was about void, not fel. No use in trying to say "but fel magic too" in this scenario since it was about the Sunwell and not elves themselves. Rommath made a rash knee jerk reaction that is going to kick him in the ass down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunderella View Post
    I might be missing something here but when or where did the BEs become besties with the San'layn?

On another note, Void Elves beins void infused and all, are a direct threat to their very source of power (The Sunwell) so as radical as it might seem, its totally understandable that they choose to ban Void practitioners from Silvermoon.
    I don't know, the truth is that I don't remember any time where no blood elf works with those cannibals, much less that they accepted them in quelthalas! I hope the creator of the thread shows us when and where that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by HadesBlessYou View Post
    but fel magic didn't pose the threat to the SUnwell as void magic did, hence why those elves were banished. the clash was about void, not fel. No use in trying to say "but fel magic too" in this scenario since it was about the Sunwell and not elves themselves. Rommath made a rash knee jerk reaction that is going to kick him in the ass down the line.
    Yes, and I acknowledged that too, hence why I explained why banishing them was foolish. They could've kept them in Silvermoon under strict surveillance, perhaps by using a magic nullification shield (the same one used in Stormwind stockades to restrain Thalyssra).