Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Level alts now or after pre-patch?

I quit wow earlier last year and wanna get back into it when the new leveling experience is released. I only ever got a warrior to like 98 and as a first-timer, trying to figure out how to have an actual linear story experience in this game sucked. I didn't know when to switch to the next expansion after 10 to 20 levels, I always felt behind, and the majority was fetch/kill quests that really sucked the enjoyment out of it for me.

Needless to say, I'm happy that they are letting you level how you want now, by letting you delve deep into one expansion if you want. I'll actually have a good sense of direction as a new player.

Should I start leveling new alts now, or save that enjoyment for the pre-patch?

Wait for pre-patch.
    Just remember that you can't choose the expansion that you want as long as you don't have a character that is 120 (now) or 50 (then).
    Your first character HAS to level via BFA content - which is not hard, nor does it take much time.

to put it in perspective: you can lvl 1 character casualy from lvl 10-50 in 8-10 Hrs by doing Bfa only zones, right now you do the same for 10 lvls 110-120
    I.O BFA Season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Druid ist Op View Post
    to put it in perspective: you can lvl 1 character casualy from lvl 10-50 in 8-10 Hrs by doing Bfa only zones, right now you do the same for 10 lvls 110-120
    This is pretty much a lie. For a first timer (or second timer) expect to take up to 20 hours to get from 10 to 50. It will be quicker to level a character in prepatch but it's not terrible now. You prob have a week till prepatch but right now you get 100% more xp. Now is as good as time as any just to login and fuck around with a few characters. As for being confused? Look up leveling guides in google. They are pretty straight forward.

On another note if you don't like fetch kill quests then you're going to be disappointed. Once you hit 15 or so before prepatch press I and then join random dungeons as a dps. Queue times are usually 5 to 10 mins.
    Last edited by munkeyinorbit; 2020-09-28 at 05:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyleech View Post
    Wait for pre-patch.
    Just remember that you can't choose the expansion that you want as long as you don't have a character that is 120 (now) or 50 (then).
    Your first character HAS to level via BFA content - which is not hard, nor does it take much time.
    So I have an idea.

I'm never gonna use a level boost for a legitimate reason, and I received one for buying some expansion at some point. If I used a 120 level boost on a random alt, would I not need to play BFA first when the pre-patch releases? or should I just use a 110 boost on a random alt and get it to 120 through BFA?

I'm doing it now. It's a lot more fun with more levels. Wish they didnt squish and went for 130 instead.

Now if you want to benefit off the reputation buff for what little time of it is left.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2020-09-28 at 11:21 PM.

110-120 takes like 4-5 hours, not 8-10

I would wait for pre-patch since you also get to try out Shadowlands class changes and perhaps take a liking to a new main or alt.

If you start now, you'll have progressed farther than if you wait. Right now leveling is super fast. Some people say with prepatch it's faster, but I have my doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by SulfurG View Post
    I quit wow earlier last year and wanna get back into it when the new leveling experience is released. I only ever got a warrior to like 98 and as a first-timer, trying to figure out how to have an actual linear story experience in this game sucked. I didn't know when to switch to the next expansion after 10 to 20 levels, I always felt behind, and the majority was fetch/kill quests that really sucked the enjoyment out of it for me.

Needless to say, I'm happy that they are letting you level how you want now, by letting you delve deep into one expansion if you want. I'll actually have a good sense of direction as a new player.

Pre patch, and start a new character entirely.

So I have an idea.

I'm never gonna use a level boost for a legitimate reason, and I received one for buying some expansion at some point. If I used a 120 level boost on a random alt, would I not need to play BFA first when the pre-patch releases? or should I just use a 110 boost on a random alt and get it to 120 through BFA?
    Didn't you have another thread with the same topic?

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I think after SL launches levelling will be a lot faster, even with the current 100% buff

I guess it depends a lot on the expansion. I am very casual in my leveling and my Vulpera after doing Northern Barrens, Tanaris, Silithus snd Deepholm I am 39 after 20 hours. But 1 hour is probably afking and reading forums. Then another 3 or 4 messing around with fishing and other professions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I think after SL launches levelling will be a lot faster, even with the current 100% buff
    Most of the time you will spend around half the time of what you did with the 100 percent buff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kflay View Post
    If you start now, you'll have progressed farther than if you wait. Right now leveling is super fast. Some people say with prepatch it's faster, but I have my doubts.
    I tested and its about half as fast. I am not rushing at all. Questing normally and enjoying the scenery.

After level 20 I spend like 30 minutes on each level. Which is the same as in BFA. Though, there are only half as many levels.

I spend usually 50 hours to level my characters 120 with the xp buff. And around 20-24 on PTR leveling very casually taking time off doing professions and messing around.

Will dungeon queues pop faster for dps after pre-patch (considering there will be more people playing)?

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Will dungeon queues pop faster for dps after pre-patch (considering there will be more people playing)?
    There are going to be ALOT of people leveling 1-50.

But, of course, the bottleneck will be tanks. I'd be pretty surpised if dps are getting anything faster than 20 min queues.

If I had to guess, queues probably won't be any better than they are now, because of tanks.

Waiting for prepatch is the time efficient option. If you're bored now however you can always start now.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

and the majority was fetch/kill quests that really sucked the enjoyment out of it for me.

ALL quests are like this. i don't think games with quests in them are for you.
    that being said, if you don't like questing, go level now with full heirloom gear and the (until pre-patch available 100% exp buff) though dungeons. And at level 110, go buy (with gold) yourself a leveling boost through the freehold dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    There are going to be ALOT of people leveling 1-50.

But, of course, the bottleneck will be tanks. I'd be pretty surpised if dps are getting anything faster than 20 min queues.

If I had to guess, queues probably won't be any better than they are now, because of tanks.
    Kind of funny Blizzard doesn't make tanking more fun and less life-or-death, or at the very least engaging via class mechanics rather than headache-inducing raid mechanics.

And healers doing something other than playing Tapper while dodging fire on the floor...

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a couple characters that were just shy of 60, I got them to 60 and got flying, other than that I'm waiting.
    /s