Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quite the opposite for me. I'm tired of graphically amazing games that have crap controls, crap stories, crap systems, and then they're filled with bugs. Most AAA games I wait a year for the price to drop and bugs to be ironed out.
    I'm a thread killer.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    and now Hades
    Hades isn't pixel art tho.

Formerly known as Arafal

I don't mind pixel art. Some games such as Shovel Knight use it really, really well. But others don't and the game does look pretty bad and dated.

Then again polygons also achieve wildly different results depending on who develops them. Regardless of assets used, a good art style is a good art style and will look great, and a bad or just mediocre art style won't.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    And, of course, posted a thread to get validation from others, because OP can't make decisions on his own.
    Incorrect. The OP created a discussion thread in which he made clear he has no intent on discussing the matter.

15+ Year Old Account
    To answer the claim that pixel games age well.... there's nothing to age, they are outdated before even they are released.
    And all the e examples showing "advanced/beautiful" pixel games.... yeah, they'd be 10 times more appealing if they had top notch visuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Pixel games are something we all accepted 20+ years ago. There are finished engines out there like Unreal Engine which is FREE. So why are we dealing with pixelated bullshit today? Lazy developers?
    Bro engine is fucking useless if you don't have assets. And assets is what takes the time, effort, money and patience. It's more like why is it acceptable that the audience is spoiled with assets that no independent devs can realistically produce? Realize that there are artists who spend MONTHS creating single assets in big dev houses. I had an exchange on twitter with a blizzard artist who worked on the buildings in Azsuna and he spent 4 months just making the ruins. You think solo / small devs have that kind of capacity?

3+ Year Old Account
    I can understand the frustration, but I think it's because pixel games are easier to make than 3D ones. Plus, they're nostalgic (despit me growing up in the early 00s with my Gamecube games lol) for some older folk in their 30s-40s. I quite like the Atari-looking graphics in some of the 'minigames' in the FnaF series. They're pretty cool

On that notes, I'm planning on making a game, and with how difficult it is to model/texture/animate, I'm just going to pixel it
    Last edited by LemonDemonGirl; 2020-10-04 at 10:57 PM.
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

10+ Year Old Account
    For a 2d pixel games it realy depends on a type of game. Some work just better in 3d.

It works very well with Rpg and platformers. Not that much with racing games.

But there are games that are even more low effort (made in RPG maker). I only know 2-3 games that are not garbage.

If the dev cant draw art, then pixel game will look realy bad.

7+ Year Old Account
    Saying that 2D pixel games can never look good just shows you have very bad taste.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's only one pixelated game I will even bother touching and it's Terraria. Nothing else is even worth the time for me.

So no, not tired of them, more like not specifically interested in them. Graphics don't always determine the quality of a game obviously.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    There's only one pixelated game I will even bother touching and it's Terraria. Nothing else is even worth the time for me.

So no, not tired of them, more like not specifically interested in them. Graphics don't always determine the quality of a game obviously.
    Only Terraria? I'd argue that Crosscode is definitely worth giving a shot if nothing else.

10+ Year Old Account
    then don't play them. i think you just made this thread to rant.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree but I think they're generally sub-par. Critics treat them like they're all these low budget genius video games because the enemies are depression personified or some other shit. How about you make a game about killing goblins that rules.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every game is a pixel game

Quote Originally Posted by Syn20 View Post
    Pixel games age well. 3D games, not so much. It takes significantly more resources to develop even a single good 3D model, than it does to create a single sprite.
    He's talking about the art style and not the game design itself I think. Hence WoW he took as example, not realistic-looking textures but it's still a 3D game.

OT: I don't like [insert type of game], please remove from existence
    This topic is entirely 100% useless. I don't like this topic, please remove it from my view, there is literally no other solution.

Yup, I feel a bit tired of 2d sprite games too but then I choose not to play them and that's all there is to say. Usually these come from small indy devs or even one-man devs so I get its cheaper, faster and easier for them, but I just can't take these games in the HD world we live on these days.

With an abundance to choose from I think we can live with a pixel category.

Personally I still like it. Sometimes it feels like they didn't "need" to use it to serve the game best, but in some games it makes more sense than modern visuals. With Metroidvania-type games I'd rather have them drawn or pixelated than fully 3D modeled like Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Is Hollow Knight one of those? Because Hollow Knight was amazing.

Stardew Valley was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Is Hollow Knight one of those? Because Hollow Knight was amazing.

Stardew Valley was pretty good.
    No, a pixel artstyle would be Stardew Valley, CrossCode or the Binding of Isaac rerelase thing (afterbirth, or what it was called)

My deepest sympathies that you are being forced to play games you don't like.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.