Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    To each own, I'm tired of "realistic" looking games and want more cartoony games like Overwatch/Warcraft style.

I'm here to have fun, not to break the hardware on my PC/console.

I don't like pixel games, so I just don't buy pixel games. I've also never had any shortage of games to play. Just buy/play what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Best case scenario is I'm going to polarize the community, worst-case scenario turn you all against me

Anyway, anyone else feeling really tired of the pixel and 1990-2010 visual type games?
    It seems to be "the shit" in the past 3-4 years. Indie game companies pushing those pixelated games and people swallowing them as if it's the year 1995.
    Don't get me wrong. I don't think they are bad games. But I'm tired of wanting to play something cool but it looks like shit.
    It's almost 2021, I don't want to play games that look like crap.
    There are options of course, but my favorite genres, MMORPG and top-down RPGs are the ones that are hit most.

This is why I support games like Wolcen and New World.
    Wolcen is.... lacking, to say the least, compared to other options. But you can't deny the game looks absolutely fantastic for an ARPG game.
    New World looks good, but is it a good game? Probably not, at least not at its release. But it looks miles better than other MMORPGs. Sorry WoW, you look good for a 15-year-old game, but those blurry stretched out textures should have died 5 years ago. It's time for a new game and I want World of Starcraft!

Pixel games are something we all accepted 20+ years ago. There are finished engines out there like Unreal Engine which is FREE. So why are we dealing with pixelated bullshit today? Lazy developers?
    Games with lower graphics are there for a reason. Lower the required hardware, the more people you get to play your games. Simple as that. If you like games the are just pretty, there are plenty of them for you out there. A game does not have to look realistic in order to be fun. I'd argue that a majority of the best games out in past years as well as today have the least hardware required graphics.

Personally, I don't like multiplayer games with crazy high graphics but that's just me.

I can understand where you're coming from. We spend so much on our machines / consoles of choice that it doesn't really make sense for us to be playing games that may not have that much to them graphically, but it's more about concept. If it's Among Us that you're referring to, Among Us is pretty much a genre-defining game, which revolves around discussion amongst players. Some games have an element of discussion involved, but not quite to the extent that it's win or lose.

If a game is unique and is 2D / pixilated / not graphically superior to other games, it needs to make up for it elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FilthyRich247 View Post
    I can understand where you're coming from. We spend so much on our machines / consoles of choice that it doesn't really make sense for us to be playing games that may not have that much to them graphically, but it's more about concept. If it's Among Us that you're referring to, Among Us is pretty much a genre-defining game, which revolves around discussion amongst players. Some games have an element of discussion involved, but not quite to the extent that it's win or lose.

If a game is unique and is 2D / pixilated / not graphically superior to other games, it needs to make up for it elsewhere.
    The concept of Among US isn't even remotely new. Hell, the game isn't even new.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I kinda agree. I wish the big studios would just do a better job recruiting people and making high quality games, instead of having these people making and selling pixel games on steam which start getting peddled in very unfinished pre-release states. I'm sure the people behind Terraria and Rimworld would have no problem getting hired now, but games like that could've been enormous and generation-defining games had they been made properly in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Pixel games are something we all accepted 20+ years ago. There are finished engines out there like Unreal Engine which is FREE. So why are we dealing with pixelated bullshit today? Lazy developers?
    1) Unreal is not free. Not every indie game developed using it will surpass the threshold for it to require a license fee, sure, but to claim it is FREE is misleading.

2) An engine has little to do with a game's final visuals. Artists still have to create the assets to use in those engines. Just because an engine is capable of running photorealistic games does not mean that

And guess what. A lot of pixel graphic games are made in Unreal. Octopath Traveler comes to mind immediately.

I think I see where the op comes from.
    for example, We have Trine 1-2-3. it is absolutely beautiful. Or What was the name of that latest castlevania successor where you played a female main? then you have tons of other new platforms on pixels. I loved playing all my rpgs in pixels. shining force, chrono trigger, you name it I played it.

although I cannot agree with the OP (all those pixel games back in the day were beautiful.) I enjoy the new 3D versions of these games.

Quote Originally Posted by DTJames View Post
    To each own, I'm tired of "realistic" looking games and want more cartoony games like Overwatch/Warcraft style.
    Agreed. Immortals Fenyx Rising looks fantastic, compared to Assassin's Creed Odyssey - same studio, same team - which looks dreadfully dull and uninspired. You can still have high fidelity graphics with style rather than pushing for realism.

Also some of my favorite games, visually, this generation have been what Nintendo have been putting out with the Mario IP on the Switch.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The concept of Among US isn't even remotely new. Hell, the game isn't even new.
    Yeah to be fair, 2018 isn't 'new'. On the other hand, I don't know of any other games that rely purely upon debate to win.

Yeah to be fair, 2018 isn't 'new'. On the other hand, I don't know of any other games that rely purely upon debate to win.
    Mafia? Town of Salem? Werewolf?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Mafia? Town of Salem? Werewolf?
    Mafia I'm vaguely familiar with.

The other two I've never heard of. I genuinely believed the concept was original, I imagine a lot of other people do too.

I still love sprite games like stardew valley and other top-down action RPG games like this. SNES Zelda like games. I would like to see them do more with them. I wish I could create games like that. Would love a 2d sprite top-down Zelda style RPG with all of the class and race choices that wow has and all the abilities. I would also like it to have a large world like wow.

Mafia I'm vaguely familiar with.

The other two I've never heard of. I genuinely believed the concept was original, I imagine a lot of other people do too.
    It was originally made in 1986 as a tabletop game, with it's genre being called "Social Deduction".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_deduction_game

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Is Hollow Knight one of those? Because Hollow Knight was amazing.

Stardew Valley was pretty good.
    Na, Hollow Knight might have been 2D but far too detailed to be pixel art, kinda like the two Ori games.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    It was originally made in 1986 as a tabletop game, with it's genre being called "Social Deduction".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_deduction_game
    I'm surprised the genre hasn't been taken advantage of more so to be honest. As you can probably tell, I was blissfully unaware that it previously existed and am now loving Among Us. I'm also surprised Among Us didn't blow up sooner, especially with it having been launched two years ago.

Mafia sounds awesome .. that's definitely my type of game.

I'm surprised the genre hasn't been taken advantage of more so to be honest. As you can probably tell, I was blissfully unaware that it previously existed and am now loving Among Us. I'm also surprised Among Us didn't blow up sooner, especially with it having been launched two years ago.

Mafia sounds awesome .. that's definitely my type of game.
    You should give it a try. I used to play it on WC3 and on Starcraft 2, which was called Phantom Mode, and I'm sure both communities are still ongoing. Town of Salem is basically Mafia just as a steam game.

Also on this actual website people have been playing Mafia since at least 2012 all through comments and PMs.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...cussion-thread

10+ Year Old Account
    I just have to say I don't think highly of people who support games that have poor or "lacking" gameplay but awesome visuals. You're basically saying "the game sucks but hey, it looks good". If those games were continuously supported on a large scale we'd have nothing but shiny turds. It's shiny but it's also still a piece of shit game. Graphics are only the icing on the cake.

As for me I love pixel art. In fact it's one of my favorite art styles. In many cases I prefer pixel art over the realistic cinematic style. I find a lot of those games especially these days are like hollow shells. They look pretty on the outside but are devoid of any actual decent content. Hell in some cases I prefer some PS2 style graphics over PS4. A couple examples would be the original Xenoblade and The Last Story on the Wii. They looked like they could've literally have been on the PS2 but there was something about it that I just loved. I guess it was just the nostalgic feeling it gave me of the simpler PS2 days. Thing is I was easily able to overlook the graphics because of how great the gameplay and story were in those games.

I'll support actual content and gameplay over visuals any day.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post

I beg to differ... If only it saw the light of day...

It has nothing to do with 'lazy developers'... granted they're cheaper to make, hell of a lot more so... but it's a style nonetheless.
    Damn this looks great, but seems to be stuck in development.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

I am so sorry someone has been forcing you to buy and play pixel games, man.

No one should be forced to engage in things they don't wan't to.